Scott Gambler OWNERS

PB Forum :: Downhill
Scott Gambler OWNERS
Posted: May 16, 2017 at 3:47 Quote
im thinking of purchasing a scott gambler 720 2016 as my first DH bike...

good choice as my first ever DH bike or not?

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 4:45 Quote
zukic wrote:

I have a 2014 gambler 20 - love it. Very confident/balanced at high speed. Has a real bottomless feel to the suspension that has given me a bit of confidence to take on some bigger trails.
Pedal efficiency is a bit lacking on the flats, but who cares about the pedalling!

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 6:11 Quote
OzMike wrote:
zukic wrote:

I have a 2014 gambler 20 - love it. Very confident/balanced at high speed. Has a real bottomless feel to the suspension that has given me a bit of confidence to take on some bigger trails.
Pedal efficiency is a bit lacking on the flats, but who cares about the pedalling!

nice one... good to know that this bike gave you that confidence.
definitely something ill be looking forward to as well!

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 15:53 Quote
zukic wrote:

I just traded mine in to a shop after owning it for about a year. Amazing piece of kit! However, it needs to be ridden bloody fast to come alive. It's not good at low speeds and feels awkward and cumbersome when things get steep and slow. The only venues I frequented where it excelled were Revs, Foel and and Stiniog. This is just my opinion and although I don't race, I'm certainty not slow either. As somebody mentioned above, it does have a bottomless feel to the suspension and the Fox 40 Elites were silky smooth.

Posted: May 17, 2017 at 7:39 Quote
I've tried a couple of bikes, Santa Cruz V10 CC '17, Demo 8 '15, Canfield Yedi '16, Mondraker Summum '16, YT Tues, Banshee Darkside and owned a Giant Glory 0 '15 +++ heaps of 26" wheeled bikes

I would choose the Gambler over any of these bikes. Its just so playful while still being able to tackle the rough stuff.
Maybe not the fastest, but the bike that fits me and my riding style the best.
If i was racing i would choose the Summum or Glory Smile

Posted: May 17, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
Facescab wrote:
zukic wrote:

I just traded mine in to a shop after owning it for about a year. Amazing piece of kit! However, it needs to be ridden bloody fast to come alive. It's not good at low speeds and feels awkward and cumbersome when things get steep and slow. .

ive read similar reviews elsewhere that say the same..

to be honest without trying out this bike its impossible to know if its going to be a good fit
the only thing i have to go of at the moment is my giant trance enduro which is not designed for dh riding!

gotta start somewhere and ive been told a few times that the gamblers a sweet ride Big Grin

O+
Posted: May 17, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
I have a 150mm trance and a 2014 gambler 710. Great combo of bikes!

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:36 Quote
zukic wrote:
Facescab wrote:
zukic wrote:

I just traded mine in to a shop after owning it for about a year. Amazing piece of kit! However, it needs to be ridden bloody fast to come alive. It's not good at low speeds and feels awkward and cumbersome when things get steep and slow. .

ive read similar reviews elsewhere that say the same..

to be honest without trying out this bike its impossible to know if its going to be a good fit
the only thing i have to go of at the moment is my giant trance enduro which is not designed for dh riding!

gotta start somewhere and ive been told a few times that the gamblers a sweet ride Big Grin

You certainly won't be disappointed mate, no way! If you buy one, head straight to Revolution and hit Far Side or Main Line as fast as you dare. Then go back up and go faster. Rinse and repeat. You'll find that you end up smashing the roughest line with such pace, you'll be amazed that 1. You stayed on and 2. You felt super stable, confidant and could go prob faster, lol. Roots are made of cotton wool and your grin is huge!! I will miss it, for sure.

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 4:14 Quote
i did it!

i bought the scott gambler 720... taking it out this weekend! Cool Cool

i think revolution is too hardcore for me at the moment.. im still learning how to do jumps Redface

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 4:22 Quote
zukic wrote:
i did it!

i think revolution is too hardcore for me at the moment.. im still learning how to do jumps Redface

Nice one!! In that case, Antur Stiniog Red is where you wanna go.

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 4:42 Quote
Facescab wrote:
zukic wrote:
i did it!

Nice one!! In that case, Antur Stiniog Red is where you wanna go.

awesome!

thanks ill check it out Smile

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 7:23 Quote
how do you guys find the stock deore brakes on the gambler?

ive been told i should consider upgrading my braking power to something different...

correct me if im wrong the deore brakes are 2 pistons?

my mate says he has hope tech 3 E4s on his DH bike
ive also been looking at SRAM Guide RSC as an option...

any thoughts on this?

cheers

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
zukic wrote:

ive been told i should consider upgrading my braking power to something different...

any thoughts on this?

cheers

Deore are great TRAIL brakes imo. I still use them on my hardtail. I'm a heavier rider (around 100kg)
For DH - nope. They tend to overheat very quickly. I swapped my Deores out for my older M4's within the first week.

Can only speak for Hope M4's, Saints & Hayes Stroker Aces - all great brakes in their own way.

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 8:00 Quote
OzMike wrote:
zukic wrote:

any thoughts on this?

cheers

Deore are great TRAIL brakes imo. I still use them on my hardtail. I'm a heavier rider (around 100kg)
For DH - nope. They tend to overheat very quickly. I swapped my Deores out for my older M4's within the first week.

Can only speak for Hope M4's, Saints & Hayes Stroker Aces - all great brakes in their own way.

yeah i have deores on my giant trance bike... and theyre great on that.

i think a couple of days riding this weekend and ill know exactly what i think... ill make note of when the brakes overheat and i run into a tree Madder
either way ill probably upgrade... just not sure to what yet Blank Stare

Posted: May 24, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
zukic wrote:
OzMike wrote:
zukic wrote:

any thoughts on this?

cheers

yeah i have deores on my giant trance bike... and theyre great on that.

i think a couple of days riding this weekend and ill know exactly what i think... ill make note of when the brakes overheat and i run into a tree Madder
either way ill probably upgrade... just not sure to what yet Blank Stare

Most experience I've had with is the Hope Tech M4's (mine are quite a few years old now and still going strong.)
Good power and simple to maintain in my opinion.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010975
Mobile Version of Website