Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 6:28 Quote
Has anyone polished hubs before? Anything I should worry about with bearing tolerances? I'm afraid the bearings won't be a press fit anymore if I take the anodizing off and polish them out.

Just did my stem though, used to be lime green. Polished is way better!

photo

Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 6:36 Quote
I removed the anodising and polished a set of DT Swiiss 350s a few years ago without issue. The bearing races weren't anodised though (I don't personally recall seeing a hub where they are).

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 6:44 Quote
commental wrote:
I removed the anodising and polished a set of DT Swiiss 350s a few years ago without issue. The bearing races weren't anodised though (I don't personally recall seeing a hub where they are).

Ohh that would be nice. Yeah maybe machining the hub after anodizing ensures the right dimension every time. I'll have to see if my I9 hubs are also like that.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 7:03 Quote
May be SOL unless I can figure out a way to seal off the bearing surfaces but also submerge the hub in oven cleaner to de-anodize it.

photo

Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 10:24 Quote
Bummer. Maybe rubber bungs? Admittedly they'd need to be a very tight fit to stop any ingress.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 12:17 Quote
commental wrote:
Bummer. Maybe rubber bungs? Admittedly they'd need to be a very tight fit to stop any ingress.

I read online that dried hot wax on the surface might do the trick. Time to do some experimenting

Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 15:40 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
commental wrote:

I read online that dried hot wax on the surface might do the trick. Time to do some experimenting

I've taken the anodising off of two sets (front and rear) halo DJ hubs, used oven cleaner too (and an old toothbrush and heaps of elbow grease). Didn't polish them, as I prefer the brushed alloy look.

Both sets were at some point 'submerged' in it, as in the foamy stuff got in where the bearings sit normally, also onto the ratchet ring (where the pawls engage) in the rear hub - no side effects that I'd noticed, the bearings still had to be pressed back in as usual.

I never left them covered in the cleaner for too long, as it was being done over in bits (it's a LOT of work), but I'm sure you'll be well aware of that by now, having done the stem.

Edit: I don't quite remember if the surface where the bearings sit was anodised or not... Probably not, so take all the above with a pinch of salt.

Here's a photo:
halo djd sd raw

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 18:41 Quote
Well the hot wax trick actually worked and popped off easily. I think that’s going to be the answer if I can wipe it on easily.

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 0:54 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Well the hot wax trick actually worked and popped off easily. I think that’s going to be the answer if I can wipe it on easily.

Good to know. Salute

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 2:37 Quote
Restomod of a 2003 GT Aggressor mountain bike

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/JonnyTheWeasel/album/GT-Aggressor-Restomod/

Restomod of a 2003 GT Aggressor mountain bike. Frame completely stripped of all paint down to raw aluminium and then hand sanded and polished.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 5:36 Quote
Man these XT cranks are kicking my ass using Greased Lightning. Picking up a can of Easy Off today lol

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 6:37 Quote
What size wheels are those?

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 7:17 Quote
hydraulica wrote:
What size wheels are those?

700c on a 26in frame

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 10:27 Quote
Wow, and it looks like they still have decent clearance. I've been looking at picking up one of those frames myself for a gravel bike.

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 10:33 Quote
hydraulica wrote:
Wow, and it looks like they still have decent clearance. I've been looking at picking up one of those frames myself for a gravel bike.

Yea clearance is good. Those tyres are 40mm. I could probably just about squeeze 45mm on the rear but no more than that. Plenty of clearance on the fork.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012798
Mobile Version of Website