Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 12:26 Quote
Hi guys,
wanted to show you my 2020 Mondraker Dune in Raw. I bought the frame 2nd hand for a very good price and as the paint wasn´t in great condition I figured I could just as well get rid of it Wink

Went with an industrial/brushed finish instead of polished. Also stripped the clamps on the stem and the formerly golden Shimano Saint preload screw, chainring bolts and bb. Hope you like.

2020 Mondraker Dune M
DVO suspension Diamond D1 and Topaz T3
Spank Oozy Trail wheels with Vittoria Martello/Aggaro tires
Shimano Saint cranks & BB
Spank Oozy pedals
Avid Trail 9 breaks with 200mm Galfer rotors f/r
Microshift Advent X drivetrain
OneUp dropper 180mm
DMR Defy stem, 35mm
Nukeproof Horizon carbon bars 38mm rise, 760mm, ODI Elite Pro grips
Nukeproof Horizon saddle
Works components -1 angle headset

photo
photo

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 16:51 Quote
What did you brush it with? I rawed my aluminum frame and just let it oxidize which makes it look kind of industrial. I might try pressure blasting it with glass bead next to give a shiny satin finish.

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 21:36 Quote
hydraulica wrote:
What did you brush it with? I rawed my aluminum frame and just let it oxidize which makes it look kind of industrial. I might try pressure blasting it with glass bead next to give a shiny satin finish.

I used a brass wire brush to remove the last stubborn bits of paint, Went over the whole frame with that and then used a medium grade scotch-brite abrasive pad to even everything out. Took some care to work in one direction only so the brush pattern is somewhat uniform. Most of the shine is gone too on my frame from oxidization but I like it like that. It would be easy enough to shine back up if I ever felt the need.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2024 at 4:39 Quote
Yep Easy Off Heavy Duty worked well for getting the rest of the anodizing off quick. Hubs are next which is going to be a more fun adventure but the Easy Off should make it easier since its in a spray can and the hubs won't need to be submerged.

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 9:14 Quote
One hub done, Easy Off definitely took the anodizing off quick, had to do it in stages 5-10min soaks at a time. Didn't want it to etch the aluminum but after it was done, the hub looked like it was pulled from the ocean. Highly recommend using power tools to polish as well as Mothers aluminum polish because now the Hydra hub looks like this

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 5:39 Quote
And rear hub done. I ended up leading the bearing caps and driver on the hub. Taped off the driver with masking tape and used Easy Off. Nothing got into the bearing area and the hubs spin great still.

photo

Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 7:12 Quote
They look great. Have you coated them with anything in an attempt to stop oxidisation?

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 7:18 Quote
commental wrote:
They look great. Have you coated them with anything in an attempt to stop oxidisation?

I haven't. I live in California not near the coast though so I don't suspect I'll have huge issues with oxidation. Time will tell though

Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 15:29 Quote
I think he's referring to dulling.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 20:39 Quote
hydraulica wrote:
I think he's referring to dulling.

Ah, nothing done to prevent dulling of the finish.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 20:50 Quote
Just hit it with some Mother’s Polish every now and then.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 21:15 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:

That was the plan. There may be a better product out there too

Posted: Mar 7, 2024 at 2:27 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

That was the plan. There may be a better product out there too

I had good results with this;
https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Cleaning-Products/Cleaning-Agents/Renaissance-Wax
It definitely protected my frame against tarnishing from sweat (unlikely to be a problem with hubs) and slowed down the oxidisation process, increasing time gaps between polishes.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 18:46 Quote
Messed around with my Slayer. Definitely not perfect, but I want to ride more than I want a flawless finish. Ha ha

photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 6:08 Quote
Nice. Where’d you get the Totem graphics?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018820
Mobile Version of Website