Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 3:40 Quote
Circe wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
went to go order a Tyee from propain, estimated delivery OCTOBER.

How about no.

I hate to break it to you, but that's not bad. Lots of companies are sold out through end of 2021.

I have hobbies across several industries that are heavily impacted by covid, not just MTB, and none of them have lead times that large. I also work in process automation for global CPG and MFG corporates. Its simply not acceptable for a company to lose control of their supply chain like that. I could prototype and manufacture my own frame in that time.

It looks like i will have to buy something made in Europe or so high end that its available off the shelf!

Unreal.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 4:41 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
Circe wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
went to go order a Tyee from propain, estimated delivery OCTOBER.

How about no.

I hate to break it to you, but that's not bad. Lots of companies are sold out through end of 2021.

I have hobbies across several industries that are heavily impacted by covid, not just MTB, and none of them have lead times that large. I also work in process automation for global CPG and MFG corporates. Its simply not acceptable for a company to lose control of their supply chain like that. I could prototype and manufacture my own frame in that time.

It looks like i will have to buy something made in Europe or so high end that its available off the shelf!

Unreal.

Something tells me the bike industry as a whole is pretty damn inefficient, COVID or no COVID. Now with this happening it is being caught with its pants down big time. When I found out how far in advance bike companies had to plan out their future product lines (before COVID), I found it somewhat unbelievable. It’s a bicycle, for peats sake.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
Circe wrote:

Unreal.

Something tells me the bike industry as a whole is pretty damn inefficient, COVID or no COVID. Now with this happening it is being caught with its pants down big time. When I found out how far in advance bike companies had to plan out their future product lines (before COVID), I found it somewhat unbelievable. It’s a bicycle, for peats sake.

Surely this could lead to the argument of more manufacturers moving production from overseas to their home countries? They'd have more control that way, but obviously would cost more in theory.

Mod
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
Can you name any other industry with an increase in sales/global revenue close to that which the outdoor industry as a whole has seen? XC ski/bikes/outdoor gear etc. People are getting outside(alone or in their respective pods).

Alcohol/beer is the only one that comes to mind(but a much shorter product lead time for beer). Tech likely saw an increase but was already further along in automation & scalability.

Almost hard to compare to literally anything else.

I can't even find an old rival 10spd shifter to patch my cx rig back together.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
I am in the fashion/upholstery supply trade. It is the same. No stocks, nothing new being produced. Stuff that is selling now are older products that stood still. Covid lockdown did a number on all industries. Manufacturing, raw materials etc, all these places also stopped working. Things over the last 2 months have started picking up, ad hopefully we will see new goods soon.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 6:04 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Can you name any other industry with an increase in sales/global revenue close to that which the outdoor industry as a whole has seen? XC ski/bikes/outdoor gear etc. People are getting outside(alone or in their respective pods).

Alcohol/beer is the only one that comes to mind(but a much shorter product lead time for beer). Tech likely saw an increase but was already further along in automation & scalability.

I have one of those. I hook you up.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 6:05 Quote
I think the bottleneck isn't manufacturing that bike companies can control (their own frames) but rather that most bikes they sell will require a SRAM or Shimano drivetrain, suspension from one of 2-3 companies, a set of tyres from Maxxis or Schwalbe, etc.

There aren't that many choices for part manufacturers when the bike isn't a boutique build, and even then, boutique manufacturers aren't going to agree to supplying a huge quantity all of a sudden. The time and cost involved in expanding is significant, it's entirely possible that they will be dropped as an OEM supplier as soon as things return to normal, and it hurts their brand image somewhat.

Changing OEM suppliers quickly isn't easy, and all it takes is one of those suppliers to have their main manufacturing plant hit by strict lockdown or shipping problems to stop the bike company shipping out completes.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
Shieldsy94 wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:

Unreal.

Surely this could lead to the argument of more manufacturers moving production from overseas to their home countries? They'd have more control that way, but obviously would cost more in theory.

I honestly think it’s more related to the amount of 3rd party OEM components these companies rely on. Between having to plan around someone else’s product releases that is of that 3rd parties own design which the bike companies then have to react to with their frame design, and then furthermore someone else’s production schedule, it’s not a recipe for efficiency. Hope is about the only high end bike manufacturer that’s vertically integrated the way other industries like the automotive world is (although even they don’t design their own shifters and derailleurs). I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen more (truly) proprietary vertically integrated in the high end bike world along those same lines.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
I know for a fact most large bike industry companies- components, frames etc are all running at record output and have been for the last year. It's impossible to take a large factory/industry and just double/triple output overnight. Especially when you rely on a supply chain that has been running at a steady pace for many years.

Think about it- no one had a factory with half the floor space empty just waiting for a random boom to tool up and make your bike in 2021. haha

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:

Try looking at the tech industry with CPU's and graphics card either being bought out by scalpers because they don't have enough supply they are being flipped for 100% profit and most regular people cannot buy them. Add in bitcoin miners and the Video card I bought 3 years ago is now doubled in price...... which is crazy for tech industry.

I also have a friend who is into roller skating and she has posted similar supply issues for them as well.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 8:48 Quote
Circe wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Circe wrote:
Padloc grips were nice on the palms. When I was coming back from a hand injury, it was one of the small things that made a difference.

I believe you’re the first person I’ve encountered that speaks positively of the Padlocs. My buddies with them couldn’t stand them. Never tried them personally, but I can see the merit of the idea.

How many other people do you know who ripped their palm off in a bicycle crash (through a glove)? That was no fun.

Daaang! Sounds brutal. Yeah, I'd be after any advantage I could (literally) get my hands on.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
dcamp2 wrote:
I know for a fact most large bike industry companies- components, frames etc are all running at record output and have been for the last year. It's impossible to take a large factory/industry and just double/triple output overnight. Especially when you rely on a supply chain that has been running at a steady pace for many years.

Think about it- no one had a factory with half the floor space empty just waiting for a random boom to tool up and make your bike in 2021. haha

Not to mention what’s happening on the shipping side. Imports are up 30% at the ports. They’re jammed up. There are two dozen constainer ships sitting in the San Francisco Bay waiting to unload. And another two dozen parked outside of the ports of Long Beach and LA. Prices for containers have tripled.

Mod
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Circe wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

I believe you’re the first person I’ve encountered that speaks positively of the Padlocs. My buddies with them couldn’t stand them. Never tried them personally, but I can see the merit of the idea.

How many other people do you know who ripped their palm off in a bicycle crash (through a glove)? That was no fun.

Daaang! Sounds brutal. Yeah, I'd be after any advantage I could (literally) get my hands on.

what's this hand business?

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
Freaking cray out there in the pacific with all these container ships making that money. We're likely seeing Trek and sc increase prices for sure!

From talking to Trek they are cranking out frames and wheels but component makers cant keep up overseas. Jon B said shimano is by far the worst right now. Months out for build kits with frames/wheels waiting.

I cant get clutch grease, cable grease, 9100 metal brake pads, the list goes on.

Its like cars. So many little parts that have to come together to make a complete product to ship over here.

msr snowshoes couldnt get enough cold rolled steel for their snowshoe assemblies so we couldnt get many this winter. Nordic skis sold before we received them, climbing skins flying out the door to clueless backcountry skiers.

Its a party!

Mod
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
it's a totes cray party.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.044553
Mobile Version of Website