Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 7:36 Quote
What kind of cockpit setup is everyone running on their trail and enduro rigs? Mostly interested in stem length, but also bar rise / spacers / reach / stack / chainstay to get a complete picture. I'm running a 31 stem / 20 bar / 10 spacers on my 490 reach / 633 stack / 438 chainstay Knolly Chilcotin and 40 stem / 40 bar / 10 spacers on my 477 reach / 616 stack / 431 chainstay Knolly Fugitive.

Asking as I've typically preferred a longer stem because it lets me run higher / more comfy stack and still get weight over the front wheel, but I've really been digging the steering feel of the short stem on the Chilco. I don't love the lower stack though, wondering how much higher I can go and still keep the front wheel weighted with these short ass chainstays. Tempted to YOLO a 40 rise bar on there.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 8:44 Quote
scotteh wrote:
What kind of cockpit setup is everyone running on their trail and enduro rigs? Mostly interested in stem length, but also bar rise / spacers / reach / stack / chainstay to get a complete picture. I'm running a 31 stem / 20 bar / 10 spacers on my 490 reach / 633 stack / 438 chainstay Knolly Chilcotin and 40 stem / 40 bar / 10 spacers on my 477 reach / 616 stack / 431 chainstay Knolly Fugitive.

Asking as I've typically preferred a longer stem because it lets me run higher / more comfy stack and still get weight over the front wheel, but I've really been digging the steering feel of the short stem on the Chilco. I don't love the lower stack though, wondering how much higher I can go and still keep the front wheel weighted with these short ass chainstays. Tempted to YOLO a 40 rise bar on there.

Bike: Ripmo AF, Large, 475 reach/435 chainstays.

I think I wanted to like super short stems cause they seem like a cool idea, but I find a 50mm feels the most natural, at least on my Ripmo. Shorter and I feel like I don't have as much grip on the front in turns. I've moved to a 35mm alu one up bar, with 2cm in spacers and it's the best I've ever felt on the bike. I could maybe cut the bars to 780 from 800, but probably won't bother. Loving the higher stack.

Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 10:56 Quote
scotteh wrote:

On both the geometron and Madonna v3 I have been running
35mm stem, 30mm bars, 20mm spacers
Geometron was 515 reach, and Madonna is 480 l, both around 450 chainstays.
I might switch to a 42mm stem as the Madonna is a lot shorter and feels abit cramped.
I think a higher front end is massively under rated. So much more confidence on steeper trails.

Edit: bar height to centre of grips is 1097mm on both

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 15:58 Quote
Most of those numbers are about sizing, they are pretty meaningless without knowing the height (and proportions) of the riders.

I'm 1.77m (5'10") so am normally in between M and L sizes and have to use stem length etc to make bikes fit me better. Proportionally a bit longer legs/shorter torso so I tend to prefer a relatively shorter reach and taller stack.

I have an M Giant Reign 29 (2020), its numbers are 455mm reach / 619mm stack / 439mm chainstay. Running 50mm stem with 35mm rise 780mm wide bar on top of a few spacers.

As a general rule of thumb for bar height I like to have the grips about the same height as the saddle.

Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 23:06 Quote
scotteh wrote:

Size L Bronson. 472mm reach, 637 mm stack, 439mm chainstay.
I run a 35mm stem, 5mm spacer underneath and a 30mm rise Fatbar Lite at 760 wide. Tried 12.5-15mm of spacers for a while, but lower was better for weight distribution and a better cornering feel.

To add some sizing context, I’m 175cm tall with a 190cm armspan.

Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 23:33 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
scotteh wrote:

Bike: Ripmo AF, Large, 475 reach/435 chainstays.

I think I wanted to like super short stems cause they seem like a cool idea, but I find a 50mm feels the most natural, at least on my Ripmo. Shorter and I feel like I don't have as much grip on the front in turns. I've moved to a 35mm alu one up bar, with 2cm in spacers and it's the best I've ever felt on the bike. I could maybe cut the bars to 780 from 800, but probably won't bother. Loving the higher stack.

I'm with you. I've tried shorter stems and find it harder to weight the front end.

That said, my motorcycles have zero offset stem. The reached are a lot shorter and the rear ends are longer tho.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 12:31 Quote
I like a tall and shorter front end and a longer rear end myself. I’ve been on a similar setup for years on all of my bikes. My current ebike has 455 chainstays, 450 reach with a 10mm stem, 40 rise bars and 30mm spacers under my top clamp, (dual crown). My bars are about an inch higher than my fully extended seat. 63.5 HTA and 80* STA with 190/200 travel. I’m in a more upright and centered stance when standing on DH and it’s just way more comfortable and natural for me, similar to my moto stance. And with the steep STA and longer chainstays, climbing is great as it puts more weight up front while seated. Also it’s easier on my old man back.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 19:10 Quote
scotteh wrote:

The chilcotin has such a short head tube. I am running a bunch of spacers under my 40mm stem and a 20mm rise bar. I have been actually enjoying the higher front end when riding the steeper stuff I have been riding lately.

I did have a 30mm on my Warden when I was recovering from my back issue and it was more comfortable but once I was back riding aggressively I found the front to push too easily since my weight was a bit too far back

Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 16:50 Quote
Random question, but has anyone experienced a shock bolt being corroded to the mounting hardware? I went to pull the shock off my new bike only to find the hardware spinning with the bolt. It uses a removable threaded insert to receive the bolt, that unthreaded leaving the bolt exposed. Even tapping the bolt with a punch and hammer does nothing

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.039919
Mobile Version of Website