Mud! Why?

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:07 Quote
sqrleprle wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
sqrleprle wrote:
I have literaly taken my bike and put it in the tub and washed it with the shower hose. It helps to take it apart a bit though cuz most bikes don't fit with the tires on. I personaly take my whole bike apart and clean each bit after a mud session. That way you can get to know your bike better and see if something needs to be fixed. Don't forget to grease everything and tighten everything back up when you are done. And it helps to dry your chain off with on old rag so that it doesn't rust overnight.

1 word: Effort!

1 word: Lazy

Haha!! True true, I usually do take it apart once a year. But never after every ride!

And do you live alone? Cos I tell you my parents would go ape!

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:07 Quote
sqrleprle wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
sqrleprle wrote:
I have literaly taken my bike and put it in the tub and washed it with the shower hose. It helps to take it apart a bit though cuz most bikes don't fit with the tires on. I personaly take my whole bike apart and clean each bit after a mud session. That way you can get to know your bike better and see if something needs to be fixed. Don't forget to grease everything and tighten everything back up when you are done. And it helps to dry your chain off with on old rag so that it doesn't rust overnight.

5 words: its horrible on your bike

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:18 Quote
kev211 wrote:
sqrleprle wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

5 words: its horrible on your bike

6 words: I want a new one though

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:23 Quote
Well, either they can put up with you cleaning it in the bath-tub or they can help you buy new parts when they wear out. Because they will wear out 1000 times faster when they are used coated in mud. It is not hard to clean a tub when you are done.

p.s. i don't take it apart after every ride, just muddy ones. but I baby my bike and like to take good care of it, cuz they are not cheap

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:25 Quote
Well, I feel I may be forced to dismantle my drivetrain at the least. Maybe that will help it a bit.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:28 Quote
that probly is the most important, take off the cranks, rear wheel, and the bottom bracket and give a good cleaning. Do NOT forget to dry. Make sure to give the seals on the fork a gently cleaing being careful not to press the grime into the seals.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 15:43 Quote
sqrleprle wrote:
that probly is the most important, take off the cranks, rear wheel, and the bottom bracket and give a good cleaning. Do NOT forget to dry. Make sure to give the seals on the fork a gently cleaing being careful not to press the grime into the seals.

Forks were the 1st! Done them! Most expensive bit to change!

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 20:23 Quote
I take it to the car wash. Be careful if you do this though because you don't want to blow out your bearings.

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 20:50 Quote
I personally don't really worry about how dirty my bike is, as long as the drivetrain is clean. If it is really muddy when I get back from a ride and the mud is still moist I will spray it off with a light mist from the hose. Other wise I let it dry and fall off on its own.

My drivetrain on the other hand I clean after EVERY ride. Soak chain in simple green, scrub then blast with hose, then dry it and lube it thorougly. I also use a brush on all the chaninrigns, cassetes and so on. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes to how well the bike runs.

Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 7:56 Quote
Pulled out my old "chain cleaner" and span it through. Re-waxed my chain and now I'm rolling. However all the muddy rides lack of maintenance have finally taken their toll on the BB. Only £12 Shimano square taper POS but it's buggered.

On the plus side now I get a Hollowtech II. Big Grin

FL
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 16:18 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
Ok, I went out riding Friday. An my bike got caked! When I got home it was 76Ibs!

Anyway, question. What does everyone else do to clean it off?

I'm kinda letting it dry 'til I can be bothered to pick it off.

Mike

So it had like 4lbs of mud on it? Haha.

nate

Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 16:22 Quote
-nate- wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
Ok, I went out riding Friday. An my bike got caked! When I got home it was 76Ibs!

Mike

nate

Haha more like 2. Heap of junk..

FL
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 17:31 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
-nate- wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

Mike

nate

I was only teasing, if it works for you then that's all you need. If you don't like it.... save up for a new one and just maintain this bike, don't upgrade it with things like hollowtech bb's and such...know what I mean?

nate

Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 17:33 Quote
-nate- wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
-nate- wrote:

nate

I was only teasing, if it works for you then that's all you need. If you don't like it.... save up for a new one and just maintain this bike, don't upgrade it with things like hollowtech bb's and such...know what I mean?

nate

Yeah I was just messin too.. It's only the BB and cranks I dont like anyway Big Grin

Plus with the Hollowtech I should get the weight down to 31Lbs

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 at 11:58 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
Plus with the Hollowtech I should get the weight down to 31Lbs
Saints FTW

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014787
Mobile Version of Website