Headset cup help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Headset cup help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 14:13 Quote
hi, i am having trouble removing me headset cups from my frame. they are really stuck in there. i have the correct tool for removal and have sprayed wd40 down there. does anyone have any suggestions? thankss Smile

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 14:43 Quote
Time for the mallet and bit of old pipe to come out Smile old seat posts are perfect as the curve of it closely matches the inside of the head set cup.
Tap it out making sure to knock it out as level as possible by tapping the front side then checking to see where it needs tapping next to allow it to drop as straight as possible.

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 14:48 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Time for the mallet and bit of old pipe to come out Smile old seat posts are perfect as the curve of it closely matches the inside of the head set cup.
Tap it out making sure to knock it out as level as possible by tapping the front side then checking to see where it needs tapping next to allow it to drop as straight as possible.

yeah thats what i have done. i have the right tool for the job which is this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10223

but my problem is that the cups are stuck in that much that they will not even move when i hit them with a mallet. any other suggestions?

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 15:08 Quote
Never had one that won't come out before so i'm out of suggestions.
But a question , is your frame and head set made of steel by any chance? Unlikely but ya know .. Razz

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 15:17 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Never had one that won't come out before so i'm out of suggestions.
But a question , is your frame and head set made of steel by any chance? Unlikely but ya know .. Razz

urm noo its a solid misson 9 frame. made from ali. and the headset is a nukeproof warhead DC.

im going to soak it in wd 40 tonight and then if i cant get it off tomorow im going to get a hacksaw to it and just cut it i think. after reading in forums people seem to do it so i will give it a bash

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 18:27 Quote
Heat up the head tube with a heat gun or hair dryer just before you start striking the headset cup removal tool.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009773
Mobile Version of Website