The 20" street thread

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
The 20" street thread
Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 10:38 Quote
Thanks for the feedback about coasters, yeah I was considering loosening the hell out of my chain for even more slack. As a bonus I'll gain a mm or two of slammed chainstay goodness.

I managed to absolutely destroy the internals of my Sunday Cyclone coaster the same day I built the wheel and tested it, then managed to mash it all back together and packed a ton of grease in there (finish line white grease, is that a good choice?) and it works well again. The Sunday coaster looks fragile on the inside but as long as the plastic isn't completely destroyed it's easy to troubleshoot.

Edit: also agree about. Liking the look of frontloads over toploads. I actually plan on grabbing a higher bar when replace my current one so I can run my Fiend Reynolds FL stem. Current bar is 8.75, way too low when paired with a FL stem.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 11:00 Quote
jespinal wrote:
gingy-0 wrote:
I've never seen a topload stem that looked as good as a frontload stem.
I dislike the look of front loads
same

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 11:54 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
Thanks for the feedback about coasters, yeah I was considering loosening the hell out of my chain for even more slack. As a bonus I'll gain a mm or two of slammed chainstay goodness.

I managed to absolutely destroy the internals of my Sunday Cyclone coaster the same day I built the wheel and tested it, then managed to mash it all back together and packed a ton of grease in there (finish line white grease, is that a good choice?) and it works well again. The Sunday coaster looks fragile on the inside but as long as the plastic isn't completely destroyed it's easy to troubleshoot.

Edit: also agree about. Liking the look of frontloads over toploads. I actually plan on grabbing a higher bar when replace my current one so I can run my Fiend Reynolds FL stem. Current bar is 8.75, way too low when paired with a FL stem.

plastic? inside a coaster? waht. Blank Stare

that stem tho Fab love mine

photo

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 11:57 Quote
Is it the same as the plastic in the Clutch. I now know of 2 broken ones.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 12:47 Quote
makes me not want a clutch even more... ill stick to my KHE style hubs

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
bikeordie2772 wrote:
jespinal wrote:
gingy-0 wrote:
I dislike the look of front loads
same
F FL

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 20:30 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:

You can run a frontload upside down to give it more rise.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 1:23 Quote
Ok, full cabs, what the f*ck do I do with my feet? lol trying to like pivot to little manual 180 and it feels like I'm fighting myself to pop a 180, just a matter of more practice to get the timing right or what? I am on cassette (few years ago I thought I would never have to specify...)

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 1:41 Quote
I know a friend of mine who's a midschooler rider at heart does the weird sexchange midair because he cabs with his feet switched then while he pivots changes

Edit and go faster and turn harder tbh alfredo mancuso's vlogs are meh but his how to's have helped me learn a few tricks

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
I really need help! I ride a lot of downhill but I don't always have the time to travel to the trails because I live in London. I still want to be improving my riding everyday. For riding street but improving my downhill technique would a dirt jumper or a bmx be better ?

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 11:11 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
Ok, full cabs, what the f*ck do I do with my feet? lol trying to like pivot to little manual 180 and it feels like I'm fighting myself to pop a 180, just a matter of more practice to get the timing right or what? I am on cassette (few years ago I thought I would never have to specify...)

Keep them the same as normal and think about a full cab as what it is... a 360 while riding fakie. I found what helped was the same as regular flat 3s. Go faster turn your head over your shoulder as much as you can and huck the shit out of it. Also try to remember to fakie when you land. Wink

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 12:36 Quote
arthurgardner wrote:
I really need help! I ride a lot of downhill but I don't always have the time to travel to the trails because I live in London. I still want to be improving my riding everyday. For riding street but improving my downhill technique would a dirt jumper or a bmx be better ?
Bmx improved my downhill abilities dramatically. Trying to ride a dirt jumper street is really boring IMO and overkill. Bmx will improve your form, hops, strength, balance, agility, and in my experience, perspective.

Edit: Also buying into a decent bmx setup will cost you roughly $500 where you'd be lucky to find a solid dirt jumper used for that price.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 5:07 Quote
arthurgardner wrote:

For downhill have you thought about getting a race bike and hitting the local bmx track? I live in south london and there are 3 or 4 pretty close to me or a short overground then ride and loads all over london to be honest. You could get a 24" cruiser (keeping wheel size as close as possible) and surly the explosive speed you need for bmx racing and downhill and also all the jumping and cornering would help you improve similar skills.

I race enduro so often just do sprint training on my race bike but also have a street bmx that i use which i find helps my handling skills a little.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 5:26 Quote
gingy-0 wrote:
Only toploader I've ever really liked is the one I'm running right now(Make death hand) honestly considering buying a new one since I've had this one for at least 3 years and I got it from my mate who rode it for 2 years lol.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 5:32 Quote
I have been on the same sTLN convict toploader for 5 years now

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028451
Mobile Version of Website