Norco Aurum owners

PB Forum :: Downhill
Norco Aurum owners
O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
brutaldroppin wrote:
Going to bump this thread. Curious how some people are setting up the bike.

I'm ~5'10, and I got the medium
~180 lbs - 187llbs with gear, 400 lb spring

How much sag are you guys running for what kind of riding? I'm running about 30%, but have yet to really let the bike open up yet ( will this weekend though ).

I got the medium because I am more focused on free ride. The large felt like it would be good for Racing DH, but the medium just felt more shwappy.

Relevant to recent posts, I am 5'10" 210lbs with short legs/long torso and went with a large frame and it feels perfect for park riding. Medium feels too short/old school to me. I like jumping but I focus mostly on tech (maybe 80 tech 20 jumping). If I was a pure jumper I might consider medium.

28-30% sag with a Fox Factory DHX2 500# spring, compression pretty open, rebound slower than average.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 13:33 Quote
gnarly-powder-ratz wrote:
I'm 5'10", and strongly considering an Aurum for my first DH bike. Was really hoping to get some solid size advice from this thread, but it seems like the 5'10" people are fairly split in terms of size preference.

Perhaps there are more in favor of medium, but Norco's sizing chart puts 5'10" squarely in the large (https://www.norco.com/sizing/). But on the other hand, I'm not a racer and always trying to improve my jumping and manualing side of the game. Feels like I'm beating a dead horse, here, but I know a lot of you feel my pain on this

So far, its between this and a new TR11. But I'm somewhat concerned that getting a custom build on a new TR11 for my first DH bike is overkill (since I mostly ride trail with 5-10 resort days per year), and there look to be some good used options for the 2015 - 2017 carbon Aurums. Thinking if I get a used Aurum, I won't feel bad putting the exact build I want on it.

Any Aurum owner thoughts will be carefully considered!

Used bikes are a great deal.. BUT.. Check your bike shops, I just got a BRAND NEW 2016 Aurum for 1,999$, and I mean brand new. The retail when they were released was almost 4,000$.

You should sit on a large, and medium, and decide which feels better for you.

P.S don't worry too much about sizing charts for bike sizes and shock/fork weights, they are not a gold standard, and aren't always accurate. Everyone is different. What works for one guy who is 6' tall and 190lbs might not work for the next guy who is 6' tall and 190lbs.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 13:44 Quote
gramboh wrote:
brutaldroppin wrote:
Going to bump this thread. Curious how some people are setting up the bike.

I'm ~5'10, and I got the medium
~180 lbs - 187llbs with gear, 400 lb spring

How much sag are you guys running for what kind of riding? I'm running about 30%, but have yet to really let the bike open up yet ( will this weekend though ).

I got the medium because I am more focused on free ride. The large felt like it would be good for Racing DH, but the medium just felt more shwappy.

Relevant to recent posts, I am 5'10" 210lbs with short legs/long torso and went with a large frame and it feels perfect for park riding. Medium feels too short/old school to me. I like jumping but I focus mostly on tech (maybe 80 tech 20 jumping). If I was a pure jumper I might consider medium.

28-30% sag with a Fox Factory DHX2 500# spring, compression pretty open, rebound slower than average.

Thanks for sharing!

Ya I think it just comes to user preference for guys who are 5'10". Not everyone who is the same height has the same body type, or riding style.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 19:20 Quote
gnarly-powder-ratz wrote:
I'm 5'10", and strongly considering an Aurum for my first DH bike. Was really hoping to get some solid size advice from this thread, but it seems like the 5'10" people are fairly split in terms of size preference.

Perhaps there are more in favor of medium, but Norco's sizing chart puts 5'10" squarely in the large (https://www.norco.com/sizing/). But on the other hand, I'm not a racer and always trying to improve my jumping and manualing side of the game. Feels like I'm beating a dead horse, here, but I know a lot of you feel my pain on this

So far, its between this and a new TR11. But I'm somewhat concerned that getting a custom build on a new TR11 for my first DH bike is overkill (since I mostly ride trail with 5-10 resort days per year), and there look to be some good used options for the 2015 - 2017 carbon Aurums. Thinking if I get a used Aurum, I won't feel bad putting the exact build I want on it.

Any Aurum owner thoughts will be carefully considered!

I'm 5.10 and I love my carbo med. But go alu almost no weight savings

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 2:52 Quote
gramboh wrote:
John-U wrote:
New Aurum owner and PinkBike member. Posting for the first time.

On the phone so I can post a pic of the Aurum.
Couple of questions though. My bike is a 2017 C7.3. Torque on the seat post clamp is a low 3nm. I’m finding that at this torque I’m twisting the seat around just by bumping it with my legs while doing runs. I’ve just put a heap more carbon paste on it. Should this stop it moving? Are riders using higher torques?

Where did you get 3nm from? I have 13nm on my torque list but can't remember where I got it from (Norco spec or maybe SixC seatpost spec which is what I have). 3nm is way too low. I do 13 with carbon paste.

From the Norco website
https://www.norco.com/faq/index.php?sid=512042&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=3&id=7&artlang=en&highlight=torque

Sorry I couldn’t get the link to come through properly. Still working from my phone and getting used to PB.

I’ve put a heap of carbon paste on the post now. So much that it has taken of some of the posts anodising. Feels more solid but I haven’t ridden it yet.

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 5:25 Quote
Are you using the standard seat post still, I put the seat off my trail bike onto my aurum that is fitted onto a Thompson seat post and that was very loose compared to the standard aurum seatpost, so I measured both the seatpost diameters and the Thompson was 0.1mm smaller in diameter and that would not tighten properly either,

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 13:18 Quote
mark3 wrote:
Are you using the standard seat post still, I put the seat off my trail bike onto my aurum that is fitted onto a Thompson seat post and that was very loose compared to the standard aurum seatpost, so I measured both the seatpost diameters and the Thompson was 0.1mm smaller in diameter and that would not tighten properly either,
Hi Mark.
It’s the original SDG seat post that came on the bike.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
John-U wrote:
New Aurum owner and PinkBike member. Posting for the first time.

On the phone so I can post a pic of the Aurum.
Couple of questions though. My bike is a 2017 C7.3. Torque on the seat post clamp is a low 3nm. I’m finding that at this torque I’m twisting the seat around just by bumping it with my legs while doing runs. I’ve just put a heap more carbon paste on it. Should this stop it moving? Are riders using higher torques?

How are other C7.3 owners finding the Guide R brakes? I feel like I’m on the brakes a lot more on this bike. Not sure if the bike rolls faster than my old Sunday, or if the brakes aren’t as strong as the Formula R0s that we’re on my Sunday?

I’ve read a fair bit of the thread but it’s soooo long.

I put a qr bolt in my carbo aurum. Alot of the trails in my area require pedaling out on a service road. With a qr I can jack the seat up to get out

Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
I had to cut like 10 feet of post off my seat post. haha, they come pretty long.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 2:21 Quote
My Aurum as it was when I first got it.

Upgrades since
- Integra stem and new top crown (wash out after a jump on a slippery track did a number on one of the threads on the top crown)
- Gone tubeless
- In the process of putting Saint brakes/discs on
photo

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 5:35 Quote
John-U wrote:
My Aurum as it was when I first got it.

Upgrades since
- Integra stem and new top crown (wash out after a jump on a slippery track did a number on one of the threads on the top crown)
- Gone tubeless
- In the process of putting Saint brakes/discs on
photo

Nice!, just an Fyi, if you are still running the stock wheelset be advised, that the rear freehub bearings will crap out!, causing permature wear on the spoke flange, inturn could cause cracking the hub shell. Normally formula hubs are sturdy, but the 142 seems to have this problem.
Nice to see that straitline is available in Aus.

Brian

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 17:43 Quote
Hi Brian. Hubs are DT 370’s. I probably should have mentioned, it’s a 2017 C7.3.
I got the Straightlines a few years back. It was good luck that they matched the colour scheme on this bike. Great pedals.

Stock weight when I brought it home was 17.61kgs, large, with pedals, before converting to tubeless, on the Feedback scales.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 18:34 Quote
John-U wrote:
Hi Brian. Hubs are DT 370’s. I probably should have mentioned, it’s a 2017 C7.3.
I got the Straightlines a few years back. It was good luck that they matched the colour scheme on this bike. Great pedals.

Stock weight when I brought it home was 17.61kgs, large, with pedals, before converting to tubeless, on the Feedback scales.

Good to hear no hub issues, i really like the color scheme, but alas i have to make due with my 2013 aurum 1, for a couple of years at least. Happy trails, Cheers!!

Brian

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
BG01 wrote:

Nice!, just an Fyi, if you are still running the stock wheelset be advised, that the rear freehub bearings will crap out!, causing permature wear on the spoke flange, inturn could cause cracking the hub shell. Normally formula hubs are sturdy, but the 142 seems to have this problem.

Brian

I have the 2016 c7.3 with the formula hub. I haven't had a problem with it so far but after I am a bit concerned after reading this. What's the recommended fix?

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 21:54 Quote
wizard604 wrote:
BG01 wrote:

Brian

I have the 2016 c7.3 with the formula hub. I haven't had a problem with it so far but after I am a bit concerned after reading this. What's the recommended fix?

For now, at the first sight of the freehub frictioning against the hub-shell, a new freehub, i thing trek has a match on their wheelset, if you cant source Formula. Ultimately, better hubs, dt swiss, hope, I9 etc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017999
Mobile Version of Website