Best way to save your downtube from nicks an dents?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Best way to save your downtube from nicks an dents?
Posted: Mar 20, 2012 at 13:14 Quote
Here is a link to the place I got my kydex, and it shows all the different colors they have...They didn't carry all these when I did my bike...but my bike is black so it didn't matter to me then. Anyway, I'm posting this just in case someone is thinking...hey, that's a great idea...wonder if they have my color....????

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_54_136&osCsid=85tk4bg3elpfv0ojmmmqq1gbh6

I am not connected in ANY way to this site! I'm posting this just cause I like helping other mountain bikers!

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 at 5:53 Quote
Helitape does not protect from rocks scratching the frame. That's a fact. I reckon at some point, being a DH bike, it's inevitable your going to get a few paint chips here and there no matter what you use.

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 at 18:22 Quote
gonna use a shit ton of clear bra

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 at 16:12 Quote
I have a 2009 Demo 8, and have searched for a bash guard for the down tube with no luck. So i have built a proto type bash guard. At first it was going to be designed around 3/16 thick with a aluminum plate in the middle. After doing some research and talking with a couple engineers i have found that there are several plastics out there that would be lighter, thinner, and stronger. I have got the first prototype done and did some bashing with it this last weekend with great results. I am wondering if this is just me or of there are alot of people out there with this awesome and EXPENSIVE bike that would buy this. A couple great features about it is that it lightweight (will know the weight when we finalize on a material) It is High Impact resistant, instead of denting the frame and holding you up on that rock it will absorb the impact and will slide over the rock. I want to make it very affordable. The kit will come with a protective film (just like clear bra, or the cell phone protectors) the bash guard and the two bolts to hold it on.
I am going to check out what years and models (DEMO 7,8,9) It will fit.
I have several other pics of it in my photos.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ONE AND PASS THIS ON TO ANY DEMO USERS.

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 at 12:19 Quote
A blatant copy I made of the one on the demo, but not as nice a job.
kydex guard for makulu
Kydex, old tube stuck to it and helitape under it all.

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 7:57 Quote
Made a downtube protector from some polycarbonate I had lying around:
Downtube protector made from acrylic

Downtube protector made from acrylic

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 15:27 Quote
knobzy wrote:
buy a nice box, with some glass around it, sit your bike inside the box. Seal it up and grab a lawn chain. Sit back relax and watch your bike never get a scratch again.

if you are trying to save your bike due to resale value. All the luck. Even a mint 2012 frame won't be worth a whole lot 2 + years from now.

hi hi. an play some Xbox. Mtb games have a dream. Hi hi

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028404
Mobile Version of Website