Is a neck Brace a must have thing for DH riding?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Is a neck Brace a must have thing for DH riding?
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 at 13:53 Quote
chuk2rs wrote:
Likely a better chance of otb wreck.

^It's always an American that beats me to answering a question! Hahaha Smile

Posted: Jun 20, 2013 at 7:20 Quote
rieber wrote:
five-10 wrote:
is it true leatts dont protect from t section injuries? I hear all these guys saying 'oh, you broke your back, shoulda worn a brace' especially on videos like this whereas some places have stated it is purley C section injuries they are supposed to prevent. Also, how come a few of the professional racers ditch their neckbraces after a few runs in a race weekend? Danny hart, andrew neethling i noticed at fort bill, hart had one on at the start of a Val Di Sole video I watched and had taken it off for the rest of it.

That's a very interesting observation. I guess at that stage winning is everything and that by then they feel they have a good grasp on the uncertainties of the track.

Wow, take off the neck brace to shave a few ounces and mobility - I guess some people will sacrifice almost everything to win.

And really when you think about it, I'm sure they figured out that they can still compete in electric wheelchair racing if they can still breathe and think on their own.

I would like to hear from one of these guys as to why they race that way - why take off the brace for a final race.

Someone needs to submit an application for a research grant.

You seem a bit obsessed with this... You do realise your neck doesn't snap by just sitting on a bike right?

Playing devils advocate, you fall off on your back and the neck brace catches a rock that you might have skidded over without it, this rock then pushes the neck brace round into your mid spine...

For the record I'm still on the fence with these but you can't be so certain that they are right without any unbias long term research into it. The only thing I seem to find backing these up are random people saying "It saved me for sure" when in reality it could have done jack, how can they possibly know!?!?

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 13:10 Quote
It's definitely not a need but its definitely recommended, they don't fully protect you from neck injuries but they definitely reduce the risk of it. I think Leatt is a minimum of 20% less risk depending on the type of impact, which is obviously a pretty big and good percentage when you consider its your neck!

Recently headbutted a tree at about 25-30mph riding DH, whilst wearing my Leatt. Although it unfortunately still ended up with a spinal injury (stable fracture of my T9). The way in which they work is to spread impact. Paramedics said without a doubt that I would of injured my neck higher then my T9 which in most situation is much worse and much more fatal due to the size of the vertebrae.

Soooo without personal experience, that factor is 100% ride with one if you have the option to get one!

Ride Safe!

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 14:55 Quote
So.is the a convo on neck braces or handbags at dawn guys lol ether way I've learnd some very good advice amongst the drama.and I will be the first to say I'm not the richest dude in the world so we're could u guys recommend me to get a neckbrace on a budget.I understand fully you get what you pay for but as I've just spent alot of my armour budget on my new helmet I'd rather get a neckbrace of soughts for now till can afford a high end one to go with my helmet.

Basically dudes I'd rather have one of any kind that not have one at all.

All advice welcome.

Cheers guys.

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 14:56 Quote
So.is the a convo on neck braces or handbags at dawn guys lol ether way I've learnd some very good advice amongst the drama.and I will be the first to say I'm not the richest dude in the world so we're could u guys recommend me to get a neckbrace on a budget.I understand fully you get what you pay for but as I've just spent alot of my armour budget on my new helmet I'd rather get a neckbrace of soughts for now till can afford a high end one to go with my helmet.

All advice welcome.

Cheers guys.

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 15:01 Quote
hardtailftw wrote:

All advice welcome.

Cheers guys.

Leatt

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 8:45 Quote
vi5a wrote:
Westhewizard wrote:
cale wrote:

Quite the immature response, I'd say his last line sums it up perfectly. If you can afford the bike, you can afford the gear...the same is true for any discipline with two wheels.

Thanks for the response cale. You are right that was a immature response. I hope vi5a also realize how immature it is because it is a quote he made directed toward me but alot worse.

Sorry for hijacking this post. I hope everyone got the answer they were looking for. Vi5a is a LBS hater. And I am still waiting for a response to my pm.

1.) This is a thread about neck braces. Not about local bike shops.

2.) I don't hate local bike shops. Just don't much like the one in the city I live in.

3.) For a LBS to track me down on PinkBike because of the bad review I left them on Google is quite immature. I will not delete it! It is my right to voice any opinion I have towards a bike shop. That's how I felt. And I'm not the only one that has felt that way walking into your shop.

4.) I ask that you not continue to track me down just so I can delete that review. If you continue to do so, it could be considered harassment. And for a LBS to harass a customer, is very unprofessional.

May be 2012 but what a kingly reply!

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 13:44 Quote
What I've started to wonder is about consistency? When people ride their dh bike all the gear comes full face, crash jackets, neck braces etc but when the same rider takes his/her am bike out comes usually only a half lid and occansionally a pair of soft knee pads.

On average I get way more sketchy per minute of riding while on my am bike than the dh bike. The speeds are also quite comparable although the terrain is easier for a given speed. Although this might be just how/where I ride am.

So a few years ago I just started to atleast run my full face for every type of riding beyond what is done on tarmac. I mean if I land on my head at 10kph it dosent really matter what bike I was riding when I am stuffing my teeth in my back pocket.

I think this is becoming even more relevant now that people are starting to trade the xc/am and dh bike for one do it all bike which you can ride as hard as dh bike but also pedal back up. Where do you all draw the line between how much gear you need depending on what riding you are going to do?

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2014 at 20:20 Quote
^Really good point. I've been leaning towards wearing my full face for AM riding as the trails and speed are progressing towards the technicality of DH. I've been using less and less gear for downhill riding as the years go by and of course the time that I wear the least I take the biggest spill off a jump and almost broke my ribs (X rays were clean).

However, I will be picking up a neck brace for the upcoming season... all it took was that 1 crash to remind me how easy it is to get broken when the speed and velocity of downhill riding catch up...and that no matter how much I progress, Id rather be able to ride another day, then suffer in pain.

Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 2:46 Quote
yeah the speeds sure have progressed and that is something I've been contemplating. It seems as its not really just the skill level that has increased more so than the difficulty of the tracks has been lowered? I can just relate to tracks where I've ridden but in general the bike park tracks in sweden has gotten dumbed down and easier, lots of nice berms where there once was off chamber, roots taken out etc.

So it would seem as if going back to more tech trails could help with the injury statistics a bit.

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 12:33 Quote
Hey guys. This discussion seems to return to life again... Geek

To pepper this up a little bit:

lol

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 17:03 Quote
oh welll i wear one it does work for me

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 10:47 Quote
I crashed by going over a wallride, the wallride was too small. Smile Head on collision to the wallride, had sore and neck was a bit in pain next day. I think without a neck brace it would have been worse. I was using EVS neck brace.

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 16:26 Quote
kaar3l wrote:
I crashed by going over a wallride, the wallride was too small. Smile Head on collision to the wallride, had sore and neck was a bit in pain next day. I think without a neck brace it would have been worse. I was using EVS neck brace.

good i believe you !

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 20:26 Quote
Technology evolve. We are in 2015 and we have the chance to have neck protection that are light weight and effective. Why not use it ? Your health is the most valuable thing you have in life, that and family. Protect yourself and have fun.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014149
Mobile Version of Website