dual crowns on a hardtail; opinions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
dual crowns on a hardtail; opinions?
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
sgtjag wrote:
Enough with the arguing about dual crown forks on hardtails (one FORK per bike, not forks) Trek came out with the single speed 69er, it has a 26" on the rear and a 29" on the front, it also has a mavrick 5" inverted 29er fork, which happens to be dual crown. Why would trek Put this bike out? Because the have proven whith the right head tube and axel to crown legnth, you can put a dual on a hardtail. and they sold quite a few, Stock, IT WAS MADE FOR A DUAL.

You can always find exceptions, 5" dual crowns aren't exactly what people mean by dual corwns on hardtails.

Posted: Sep 18, 2008 at 5:54 Quote
signorvince wrote:
sgtjag wrote:
Enough with the arguing about dual crown forks on hardtails (one FORK per bike, not forks) Trek came out with the single speed 69er, it has a 26" on the rear and a 29" on the front, it also has a mavrick 5" inverted 29er fork, which happens to be dual crown. Why would trek Put this bike out? Because the have proven whith the right head tube and axel to crown legnth, you can put a dual on a hardtail. and they sold quite a few, Stock, IT WAS MADE FOR A DUAL.

You can always find exceptions, 5" dual crowns aren't exactly what people mean by dual corwns on hardtails.

I bet that the axel to crown is the same with the maverick as it is with the monster T
the maverick is 5" and accommodates a 29er and a Monster T is 6" and accommodates a 26

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
ehh, I don't know about that depending on your frame the forks are probably stronger than the bike it self.

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
sgtjag wrote:
I bet that the axel to crown is the same with the maverick as it is with the monster T
the maverick is 5" and accommodates a 29er and a Monster T is 6" and accommodates a 26

Monster T is 8" and the Maverick is A)light and B)inverted.

Monster T's A2C height-593mm

Maverick Duc32's A2C height-520mm

Do the math.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
photo

Norco wolverine (06)

drop off triple swap in (07)

(Caterpillar edition)Geek

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 17:56 Quote
LOOL NO

Your headtube is going to snap right off.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
alexzero13 wrote:
LOOL NO

Your headtube is going to snap right off.

It has been like that for over a year of dirt jumping and skate park stuff

Posted: Oct 16, 2008 at 13:58 Quote
my azonic ds1 came with junior ts on it it was the crazyest head angle, and whilst i was saving for new forks a crack developed under the top tube that i've now had fixed but now i have to buy a new frame aswell.Joker

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
dont wreck your hardtail with dual crowns

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 15:36 Quote
dhrider3 wrote:
dont wreck your hardtail with dual crowns

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Research your frame before applying a Dual-Crown fork. Some frames can handle it (Mainly Steel) But most can't (Aluminium) This can result in serious injury and, as stated above, serious damage to your equipment. Happy Hucking Beer

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
Well why go with more weight and more head angle slacking than just go with a 170-180 mm single crown fork?

I have a 04 hucker with Marz 66 RC2X 170 mm travel. I know it can be a little much for my frame, but knowing the hucker reputation i don't think i'll run into problems.
Do any of you guys think i could snap my head tube?

Here

photo

Also, DC are only necessary for fullys. Well imo, because no matter how much travel you got on the front, you don't have some in the back so...

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
Slack head angles tend to be more stable at high speeds...cuz i got a totem coil on my hardtail...it performs much better at high speeds than my Pike did and didnt feel as stable in the high speed portions... my head tube angle was 69 degrees and now is around 70-71 degrees i think... but my frame can handle dual crowns...

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Well why go with more weight and more head angle slacking than just go with a 170-180 mm single crown fork?

I have a 04 hucker with Marz 66 RC2X 170 mm travel. I know it can be a little much for my frame, but knowing the hucker reputation i don't think i'll run into problems.

Here

photo

Also, DC are only necessary for fullys. Well imo, because no matter how much travel you got on the front, you don't have some in the back so...

there is always the possibility especially if you hit a wall or a log head on

Posted: Oct 17, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
sgtjag wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:

Here

photo

there is always the possibility especially if you hit a wall or a log head on

Yeah obviously lol, but i mean, dropping, jumping and DH, will that be risking to snap my head tube? I admit being scared a bit, but in an other way the metal for the head tube pipe is about 1/8th inch thick and about 3/8th inch thick at the top and bottom. So like knowing that its that huge i'm not a scared. But like you said, theres always risks no matter the bike so.

But i mean doing drops, jumps and dh, do you think it would snap? I won't be doing crazy dh with it though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015750
Mobile Version of Website