Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?
Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 1:20 Quote
Wow the surface finish on your internals make mine look like ass. Shows they have real issues with consistency.

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 12:18 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
Wow the surface finish on your internals make mine look like ass. Shows they have real issues with consistency.
I guess they took their time on these and the lack of a bead hook allows a simpler mold node.

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 16:08 Quote
I'm guessing yours got an extra lacquer spray post mold clean up. Are yours gloss or Matt?

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 23:35 Quote
sq225917 wrote:
I'm guessing yours got an extra lacquer spray post mold clean up. Are yours gloss or Matt?
Matte with gloss on the inside to allow better adhesion of tubeless taping. Plain carbon is a bitch to tape!

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 2:17 Quote
That makes sense. I run Latex tubes so didn't think about it.

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 4:54 Quote
I picked up some of these LB rims in June last year, wide DH ones, so far no issues at all.

They've taken a bashing and still true and in great condition.

A bit harder to lace up, carbon rims take more tension than aluminium and without a meter it can be tricky to get right, I've had to retension a few times, but that's more down to my shite wheelbuilding than rim quality.

I did notice a few minor imperfections in the matte finish (only when the light shines on it a certain way), but kept an eye on it and it seems to be purely cosmetic.

If these do eventually go, I'll probably buy another straight away.

New rear hub amp rotor

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 16:30 Quote
sbrdude1 wrote:
sq225917 wrote:
Matte with gloss on the inside to allow better adhesion of tubeless taping. Plain carbon is a bitch to tape!

Thanks for the tip. I emailed LB to see if they will do the same for my order.

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 17:28 Quote
delfrmboulder wrote:
sbrdude1 wrote:
sq225917 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I emailed LB to see if they will do the same for my order.
There shouldn't be any upcharge as well because it's a simple task and didn't cost me anything extra.

Posted: Mar 16, 2014 at 2:39 Quote
HR2 on 33mm rim 58mm carcass 62mm widest tread block

The dry season is here and I can just about ride so I threw my HR2 on yesterday, it comes up 58mm widest point on carcass, 62m widest point on tread blocks.

Posted: Mar 17, 2014 at 11:31 Quote
Im considering getting some of light bicycles new 33mm wide rims laced to hope hubs but the new superstar wheels looks pretty awesome as well, much narrower but free uk trueing and very good crash replacement prices, whilst Im asking a bunch of people with carbon rims is it worth the higher price tag when I can get much nicer hubs laced to high end alu rims for significantly less?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.047519
Mobile Version of Website