Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Chinese carbon rims..... Anyone got them are they any good?
Posted: Mar 20, 2014 at 18:01 Quote
If you aren't going to be cranking the tyres over at warp speed and need every ounce of edge grip then the narrower rims will suffice. For DH they make a difference for a bit of a play and jumping around in the park probably not a difference you'd notice, not unless you intend on railing the 5hit out of the local pump track.

Posted: Mar 25, 2014 at 16:35 Quote
is it better 3k carbon rim or UD carbon rim for Xcountry usage I'am about 100kg/220lbs ready to ride.

Posted: Mar 25, 2014 at 16:39 Quote
gmngueko wrote:
is it better 3k carbon rim or UD carbon rim for Xcountry usage I'am about 100kg/220lbs ready to ride.
It really doesn't matter because the outer layers are for cosmetic and impact resistance. My wheel set came in at 1515g with DT 350 j-bend hubs, SAPIM CX-Ray spokes and polyax nipps, 15mm IS front and 135x9mm IS rear.

Posted: Mar 25, 2014 at 16:42 Quote
dusse123 wrote:
Nice wheels and bike sbrdude!

So Ive talked to nancy at light bicycles and now I really want some of the new 33mm wide rims, their complete wheel prices are really good, Im looking at less than £500 for their 33mm wide hookless rims laced to the new hope hubs with some of their aero spokes. There main competitors are the £600 superstar AM wheels I mentioned earlier and some used easton haven carbons for about £400.

I ride mainly smoothish bermy trails with some smooth transitioned jumps but also some bigger jumps 2-3metres ish to transitions and maybe 1m high drops to flat/small transitions are about the extent of their abuse, some rock gardens. If I went for the light bicycles should I go for the AM or the DH layup?

Thanks! The bike and wheels are pretty amazing. I'm in a picture on their home page over their logo with an older S-Works FSR Stumpy wearing all black.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 17:27 Quote
Recieved wheelset today, 6 weeks after ordering. While admiring the beauty and feather weight, noticed a small crack intersecting a spoke hole. Does this impair the integrity of the wheel?

photo
photo

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 2:03 Quote
delfrmboulder wrote:
Recieved wheelset today, 6 weeks after ordering. While admiring the beauty and feather weight, noticed a small crack intersecting a spoke hole. Does this impair the integrity of the wheel?

photo
photo

Yes. If they are worth repairing to you get it fixed.

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 2:19 Quote
If they're light bicycle ones they'll just replace free of charge iirc.

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 9:15 Quote
Thanks for the feedback.

Is this what they call a nipple pulling through, albeit not all the way?

Recognizing risk that crack will grow, I'm thinking about riding on this rim until the replacement shows up. Ill advised?

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 9:27 Quote
delfrmboulder wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Is this what they call a nipple pulling through, albeit not all the way?

Recognizing risk that crack will grow, I'm thinking about riding on this rim until the replacement shows up. Ill advised?
I personally wouldn't. Don't want to risk it failing on you mid landing.

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 10:15 Quote
Don't ride it. An unridden rim is a 100% warranty certainty, a ridden rim slightly less so.

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 11:10 Quote
1 month waiting for my and still they dont build.(light bicycle) they dont have the hope hubs and dont give me any options.
do you experience any problem with this guys from light bicycle

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 13:10 Quote
Angel212 wrote:
1 month waiting for my and still they dont build.(light bicycle) they dont have the hope hubs and dont give me any options.
do you experience any problem with this guys from light bicycle
No, it did take almost 2 months for me to get my rims.

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 13:18 Quote
Have yet to ride these due to work so will report back when i've tested them
photo

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 13:22 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Have yet to ride these due to work so will report back when i've tested them
photo
What was the actual weight of your rotors? Killer build!

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 21:06 Quote
photo
New wheels are Trick! Very noticeable difference compared with OEM wheelset. Obviously, much lighter, dropped approx 440 grams. Carbon wheelset weighed in at 1566 grams. Faster due to improved hubs(Hope Pro 2 40T). Best of all, near effortless to turnover. Couldn't be happier.

Couple other mods included in this build. Running tubeless now. Converted rear 5X135 to a 12X142 TA.

BTW, LB shipped a replacement rim free of charge.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051038
Mobile Version of Website