Need lift access, stuck in S.Florida please HELP!

PB Forum :: USA - East
Need lift access, stuck in S.Florida please HELP!
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 19, 2012 at 8:17 Quote
4 days is all I can take off in a row. Means 2 days for travel and 2 for riding. The only place I can get to that has reliable regular lift access is Sugar Mtn. and it is a 12 hour drive each way. Snow Shoe is like another 5 from there and is out of my range, so flying is the only other option. Can anyone suggest a LIFT ACCESS bike park that is close to the airport ? I will also have to rent a van or truck if I fly with the bike. I was thinking of shipping my bike UPS or something to a Mtn. resort that has a bike shop willing to unpack and set it up, as well as assist me in shipping it back home, then I could rent a car instead of a van or truck. My head is spinning trying to put this together and any help will be greatly appriciated. I have a Stab with DoubleWides and a 888 so a basic bike box probobly won't work and could use some suggestions for that as well. Please help !

P.S. if there are any other exiled DHrs in S.Florida looking to do the same thing this summer let me know. We could meet up for a local ride and get a plan together. Othterwise I will be going with my GF this time.

Thanks much.

Posted: May 19, 2012 at 16:55 Quote
I have an idea for you.
Plattsburgh, N.Y has an airport only 50 minutes away from the Whiteface Mountain Bike Park. They also have cheap flights for around $79.00 (each way) to many Florida cities. Rent a car for 50 bucks a day, and your all set. Then book a Bike n Stay in Wilmington, N.Y. (2 miles from Whiteface) for $59.00 per night. The Bike n Stay includes your room and your $40.00 lift pass.

Bike choices:
01) ship to us and we will build it for you and have it ready at the bike park for your arrival.
02) Rent one of our brand new 2012 Giant Glory's. They haven't even been ridden yet.
Note. Shipping is up to around $135.00 to $150.00 each way!

Quick math comes to approx. $515.00 if you rent a rnountain bike from us. That includes your round trip air, rent a car, new glory, 2 nights accommodations and your 2 day lift pass. Not bad!

Whiteface is a big mountain but the bike park is privately owned by 2 downhillers. Then please join is for the "End of the Day Run".

Hope to see you at The Face
Downhill Mike
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
www.downhillmike.com

Posted: May 19, 2012 at 21:10 Quote
Manchester NH airport is pretty close to Highland

However

The deal Mike laid out is hard to beat!!!

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 2:48 Quote
I should mention our lift and vertical too.
With the high speed gondola you get to the top of Little Whiteface in 12 minutes. Each run is 2,476 feet of vertical. 2 runs an hour is possible, but not easy to stay on that pace all day. So, if you get 7 runs a day X 2 days = 35,000 vertical feet. That translates into approx. 40 miles of dh. In order to get that much riding in at most other places, one would be on the lift 35 to 40 times. Whiteface Mountin Bike Park = more time on the trails.

Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Mike's plan has got me energized about going to Whiteface. The small amount of research I have done on the park has got my adrenaline on a slow drip. I will definately be going once I fugure out all the logistics. Also had noticed quite a large Whiteface thread on this board that I shoud read. Renting a Glory would be the easy way to go and cheaper, however I just cant stand to leave my rig on the wall all year and then have an epic ride without. So any help on how to pack and ship would be invaluble and appreciated. I could always rent as backup. I would have to leave my bike at the mtn. and come back for the second day if all goes well, and need help shipping back. Since my riding buddy can't make it I will be going with the GF and was wondering about the facilities available. Are there bathrooms or port a poops only? Can you get food and drink there or do you have to bring all that your gonna need to make the whole day? Is there WiFi so my GF does not die of complete bordem ? If not we will leave the laptop home. I will start looking in to flights and car/room rentals. Can't wait to take a breath of the fresh Adirondack air from the top of Whiteface !:Cool :

Posted: May 22, 2012 at 20:20 Quote
The only realistic way to make this happen is to make the 25+ hour drive.

See you at the Face........

If ya don't bring it ya don't got it but....

Still wondering about the facilites there,

Posted: May 23, 2012 at 3:00 Quote
When I sold my Demo 9 our mechanic took off both wheels and the fork to fit it in a regular bike box. I was very surprised it fit! If you ship to us, we will store your bike at the mt. overnight, then package it up and ship back to you. We would require pre payment for the return shipment before you leave.

There is Wi-Fi at the mountain but you have to pay by the day for it.

Also, very good choices of food at the mountain. They even are talking about nice dinners, staying open later on Saturdays and live music. The new manager from Centerplate (Whiteface's Concessionaire) has improved their menu big time.

As far as things to do for the girlfriend, you are coming to a premier summer destination. Believe it or not, summer is this areas busy time. Movie theater, live music,shopping, nice Main Street, horse and buggy ride around the lake, cliff diving, eclectic restaurants, 5 golf courses, swimming, paddle boats on Mirror Lake, canoes, kayaks, climbing, backpacking, awesome x-c trails, dj park.

Another idea for your girlfriend to do during part of the day is to hang out at the Waterfalls, hang out there and have a lunch with you when you do the stream crossing. She can either walk to that area, or we would give her a free ride on the shuttle. We do this very often when guys bring their non riding girlfriends.

Oh, and the bathrooms are the cleanest of any resort I have been to.

Here is a link to the Lake Placid Visitors Bureau web site:[L= http://www.lakeplacid.com/] http://www.lakeplacid.com/
[/L]
Hope this helps.
Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com

Posted: May 26, 2012 at 10:31 Quote
Good info. Tks. Have to pick a date and go with it. I would like to go up on a days there are no special events. That way we can maximize runs, weather and luck permitting. Does the Whiteface site list all of the 2012 events ? Just don't want to make that drive and show up on a day with restrictions of some kind. Too bad it is going to take another 2 days of driving but work will just have to wait. The Face is calling.

Posted: May 26, 2012 at 14:35 Quote
Our site has all events listed. The only days there will be lift lines is on 6-15, 6-16, 6-17, 8-8 & 8-9.

Closed on July 22 due the the Lake Placid Ironman.

And as far as the drive, I would always drive out west to ride. Maybe 50 hour drive or so. Ouch! But always worth it!

See ya at The Face
Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com

Posted: May 26, 2012 at 19:11 Quote
Great info again, and thanks. I can't do the drive out west, Best I can do is push for Whiteface. Sugar Mtn. has always been good to me and is beautiful. Boone is a fun town too, but I need to step it up while there is still some gas left in the old tank. Looks like Whiteface has 1000 more verticle feet, tons more trails, features and facilites. Looks like it really is worth the trip. I have not felt like this since we loaded up the V-brake bikes and treked to Sugar for the first time. It definetly was a game changer for me as Whiteface will be as well. Can you feel it? The Face is calling.

Posted: May 29, 2012 at 7:48 Quote
highland is awesome too. not nearly as big as the face but it is purely dedicated to mountain biking. they only have a handful of trails and one lift, but they are all well built and maintained.

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 at 15:25 Quote
Want to bump this back up. I'm thinking of doing the same thing . Did you end up going to NY?

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 at 9:32 Quote
Unfortunately, no. My girlfriend coincidentally got 6 days off from work the opening week of Sugar Mtn. So we had just enough time to load up and get on the road. Glad we went since it was the only trip I was able to take last season.

As far as The Face goes, I am still thinking about it always. I must get there one way or another. Will see if I can get a plan together for this season. Work, personal and finance makes it a challenge, as well as being stuck down south so far. Where are you located ?

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 at 12:39 Quote
I'm in Miami. Sugar mtn, NY, Highland, and Winter Park are where I'm thinking about going. Of course, money and time off from work will end up being the deciding factor. Maybe we can plan something?

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 15:27 Quote
Possibly, Haven't had much time to ride, but I have to take at least one trip a year. Too much on my plate to make any projections right now. The winter is over , but I still try to ride some of the local parks when possible. Quiet Waters, Markham, Amelia Earhart, Oleta..Let me know if you head out for a ride and I will do the same. The bike I use around here has an issue that needs to be dealt with before it can be ridden, but working on it. Hit me up on this site, or clubmud.com since they are the local site.

If you get any good info on flights, shipping, lodging etc. let me know, I will be looking too. The idea Mike has seems good, and was leaning towards shipping my bike to him. Will start looking back into this trip as soon as I can catch up on some things.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012121
Mobile Version of Website