Powered by Outside

Upgrade from 80mm to 120mm fork, too much for a XC bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Upgrade from 80mm to 120mm fork, too much for a XC bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2012 at 4:24 Quote
Hi Guys,

I have a 10 yrs old XC mountain bike with 80mm SID. Can I upgrade the fork to 120mm? I'm sure the 120mm fork will add a little more weight to the bike. My bike is 28 lbs right now.

Would a 120mm fork threw off the geometry of the bike too much? I do ride in the trail on weekends.

Or a 100mm fork is my best bet?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 18, 2012 at 8:15 Quote
i'd probably recommend 100mm since it's pretty standard and only a small increase.

I'm sure 120mm will be fine too, but it does risk changing the geometry for the worse.. no issue with trying it first if you already own the new fork

Posted: Aug 18, 2012 at 17:19 Quote
nordland071285 wrote:
i'd probably recommend 100mm since it's pretty standard and only a small increase.

I'm sure 120mm will be fine too, but it does risk changing the geometry for the worse.. no issue with trying it first if you already own the new fork

Thanks for your input. I measured the length of visible part of the stanchions on my bike and it is 120mm. What's the length of the stanchion of a 120mm travel fork?

It's less than 2 inch increase of travel from a 80mm to 120mm fork.

What is the consequence of riding a bike that has too much travel of a fork?

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 5:27 Quote
Stanchions on a 120mm fork should be 120mm length + some hidden overlap I believe
Consequences will vary, probably most noticeable will be the general height of the front and possible the weight.
Also a longer fork could put more strain on the headset, so you may find you have to maintain that more often.

It may take a while to get used to, but there's no harm in it (look at some of the hard tails with 140-180mm up front)

You might want to consider changing the stem and bars to something with less rise if you find it is weird to ride

good luck - i',m about to change my 100mm RS J1 to a 130mm Marz 33 and I have no worries Smile

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 14:29 Quote
nordland071285 wrote:
Stanchions on a 120mm fork should be 120mm length + some hidden overlap I believe
Consequences will vary, probably most noticeable will be the general height of the front and possible the weight.
Also a longer fork could put more strain on the headset, so you may find you have to maintain that more often.

It may take a while to get used to, but there's no harm in it (look at some of the hard tails with 140-180mm up front)

You might want to consider changing the stem and bars to something with less rise if you find it is weird to ride

good luck - i',m about to change my 100mm RS J1 to a 130mm Marz 33 and I have no worries Smile

My fork has 120mm stanchions, but I measured my dust line is about 80mm after each ride. So is that mean I have a 120mm fork?

Anyway I am going to go with 120mm. Thanks all your input.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028829
Mobile Version of Website