Powered by Outside

Front brake doesn't fit fork

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Front brake doesn't fit fork
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2012 at 13:10 Quote
Hey guys. I just got a Rockshox Domain 302 and ran into a problem. My front disk brake won't fit on the mounts because the disk is too close to the fork leg. How. can I fix this? Can I get a shorter disk mount or something? I'll post a pic later

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 6:15 Quote
I think I get what you mean. You are saying that the distance normal to the disc face to the inside of the fork is too small. This would mean that the brake mounting hardware does not have ample adjustment to off-set the caliper to make sure the disc runs through it freely.

Make sure you are using all adjustments on the brake to account for this.

Grab a friends wheel and install it to make sure it is not the extremely unlikely case of an incorrect hub machining.

Use a square or other flat tool/ruler to try to determine if the machined surfaces of the post mounts of the fork are square. Most good bike shops have tools for aligning and turning down mounts to correct alignment issues.

It's unlikely something is placed totally wrong from the vendors, so check your installation and the finer alignment options first.

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 10:56 Quote
Could he have the 20mm spacers the wrong way round?

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 19:41 Quote
welshspannermonkey wrote:
Could he have the 20mm spacers the wrong way round?

He sure could have some spacers swapped!

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 20:01 Quote
Could the hub be too wide? And what 20mm spacers? I just did some freeride biking today without the front brake and it was super sketchy

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 at 1:38 Quote
Its a 20mm bolt though?
you could have the end caps (spacers) on the hub the wrong wat round? Try swapping them and checking the spacing, but saying that if its only the fork that has changed then I'm not sure! As someone else said check with one of you mates wheels.

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 at 13:06 Quote
cobba wrote:
Is the rotor rubbing on the brake adapter or the brake caliper ?
I can put adapters on fine but I can't put the caliper on the adapter because the disc is to close to the fork.

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 at 13:07 Quote
welshspannermonkey wrote:
Its a 20mm bolt though?
you could have the end caps (spacers) on the hub the wrong wat round? Try swapping them and checking the spacing, but saying that if its only the fork that has changed then I'm not sure! As someone else said check with one of you mates wheels.
Yes, a 20mm QR. I'll go check for spacers

Posted: Aug 21, 2012 at 19:22 Quote
I'm showing that I need an adapter exactly like the on in your picture. I should've explained that in the picture. What kind of adapter is that?

Posted: Aug 21, 2012 at 19:38 Quote
Okay. Thanks a lot! That should to the trick

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040579
Mobile Version of Website