Converting an xx chainset to 1x10.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Converting an xx chainset to 1x10.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 9:11 Quote
Alright guys,

I'm thinking of converting my 2x10 sram xx chainset to a 1x10 setup. I'm hoping someone on here has tried it.

My main concern is compatibility with a chain guide. I'll probably be running an E-thirteen srs chain guide. I think the chainline will be ok but I'm not sure if the granny ring tabs will interfere with the guide. If anyone can offer any help or advise that'd be great.

Cheers for the help.
Sam

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 9:53 Quote
I've converted my 3x9 drivetrain into 1x9 and have ridden for a couple months with just using my front derailleur as a chainguide. It works alright, but I wouldn't recommend it. As for your problem with compatibility, I've heard that that specific chainguide you mentioned is a tad bulky which could be a problem with the granny ring tabs, but if you get a chainguide that mounts from the seatpost tube you won't have that problem.

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 9:57 Quote
I had wondered that. If it was just the e13 causing issues I'd consider an alternative guide. I'd rather a chain guide witt a lower jockey wheel or roller though to keep things nice and quiet!

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 10:23 Quote
Yeah I have heard that the ones that don't have the lower wheel can get kinda noisy sometimes

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 10:27 Quote
Yea, that's my main reason for wanting to go 1x10 - to reduce chain noise.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2012 at 10:29 Quote
Yeah no problem, I went 1x9 because I like the simplicity of singlespeed but I do a good bit of AM/XC so it's perfect for me, always gonna have 1x9 on my hardtail from now on. Smile

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 13:00 Quote
Hey, just came across this post, i know its ancient. But thinking of doing similiar, can you tell me how you got on?
Cheers, Dave.

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 14:32 Quote
Yea sure!

I got an Ethirteen 37t ring as that was all that was available at the time. Rental now do a 36t I believe. I'm running a superstar guide just now as ethirteens weren't available at the time and I'm impatient. In hindsight I wish that I had waited for the EThirteen as I think the space for the chain to run through is deeper which would make it easier to install and quieter on the bike. Granny ring tabs aren't a problem with an ISCG guide.

I've also ditched the lower guide and am running a type 2 mech. Loads quieter and I've not dropped a chain in months. The lower jockey wheel wears quickly for XC and can be noisy when peddling.

Any more questions then let me know!

Sam

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 14:50 Quote
bighitter wrote:
Yea sure!

I got an Ethirteen 37t ring as that was all that was available at the time. Rental now do a 36t I believe. I'm running a superstar guide just now as ethirteens weren't available at the time and I'm impatient. In hindsight I wish that I had waited for the EThirteen as I think the space for the chain to run through is deeper which would make it easier to install and quieter on the bike. Granny ring tabs aren't a problem with an ISCG guide.

I've also ditched the lower guide and am running a type 2 mech. Loads quieter and I've not dropped a chain in months. The lower jockey wheel wears quickly for XC and can be noisy when peddling.

Any more questions then let me know!

Sam
Awesome mate, thats put me at ease.
I was looking at the e thirteen rings. What tooth size rear cassette are you running then?.
What device would work then? I was looking at an mrp lopes!? Or the ethirteen trail.
Cheers, Dave.

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 2:52 Quote
I'm running an 11-36 cassette. It can be tough at times but I'll make it up just about anything with that set up. Could be a bit tough on longer all day rides mind.

I think and chain guide would work ok. Clearance really isn't an issue.

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 3:12 Quote
Yeah. I read that was about the best set up to get, unless you have he-man legs!!!.
Shame they havent taken out a 34t yet!.
Cheers for all the info. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Dave.

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 3:33 Quote
Because the xx uses a 120 BCD a 36 is the smallest possible size. Even with a 37 the chain practically rubs on the chainring tabs!

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 3:39 Quote
I keep forgetting the random sizing. What do you mean rubbing? Would an xx chain make a difference? If there is such a thing.hahaha.
Less than 2years out of cycling and I virtually know nothing about all the new standards!!! Lol.

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 3:42 Quote
It was meant so say running - auto predict on the mobile casing problems again! The chain shouldn't make a difference. I usually run a 1051 with no bother. It just sits pretty close to the tabs so I understand why they can't go smaller than 36.

Posted: May 19, 2013 at 11:35 Quote
i converted my 2x10 to 1x10, bought an XX1 crank but you could buy a 104 BCD ring from woolf tooth component which is the same as an XX1. This means you don't need chain guide! Only a type 2 derailler or a clutch from shimano. Ring is available in many sizes, it'S the best setup i never had!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010854
Mobile Version of Website