Solid Blade upgrades and general views please

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Solid Blade upgrades and general views please
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 7:49 Quote
So, for the last few months I've been finding my feet once again after a number of years out of the mountain bike world. I had, until yesterday been riding a whyte 146s for trail riding etc. I have sold the bike after not really gelling with the bike, not for any specific reason other than not enjoying certain geometry aspects.

So a couple of weeks ago I bought an old solid blade 09 from a friend for a trip to the alps next week. I am totally in love with this bike, for so many reasons, its bonkers down hill, so plush and chuckable, it hooks up so well! It will pedal as well although it is very heavy, I'm reasonably fit so I'm happy to put the work in to get the rewards going back down. I come from a dh orentated background so AM and enduro is what I'm aiming at with this bike.

Anyway, I have a few quid to spend on the bike and was hoping to get some opinions on my plans to upgrade,

The bike has a very steep head angle so:

swap the current 160mm domains for 180mm totems, more travel and an extra 1degree

Mavic crossmax st wheelset, get shut of the old reverse wheelset

Fox DHX5 rear shock in place of the Van which has no pro-pedal.

Cane creek angleset,

The rest of the bike is definitely workable, very solid quality build

what do you guys reckon?

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 7:55 Quote
Solid blade 09 original spec

Here is a pic of the bike in its spec as I have bought it, a bit rough but a definite diamond to ride

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 9:50 Quote
Gorgeous frame, pity about the head angle. Do you know what it is?
Since you're in the UK you should definately go with Works over Cane Creek, less finicky. Check if this would fit: 2 degree angleset for 1-1/8.

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 10:27 Quote
cheers man I'll check them out. It's a steeep 68.5! with an angleset, extra travel forks and possibly offset bushes then I could quite realistically achieve a nice slack 65, plus I can play about with the components to tune it to how I like it.

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 11:06 Quote
Has it got a 1.5 headtube? Looks like 1 1/8 from that pic.

Need 1.5 for anglesets to work.

Offset bushings be a good shout, can you not get the 180mm spring for the Domain, instead of buying a Totem to up the travel?

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 11:13 Quote
cheers josh, yeah its a 1 1/8 head tube, why do you say they dont work for 1 1/8?
I want some new forks anyway as the old ones are looking a bit rough now to be honest

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 12:43 Quote
joshleb wrote:
Has it got a 1.5 headtube? Looks like 1 1/8 from that pic.

Need 1.5 for anglesets to work.

Originally yes, but they do 1-1/8 models now (such as the one I linked, which is for a 44mm headtube.)

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 14:19 Quote
So the angleset is the way forward,

So dhx5 or cane creek db?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011871
Mobile Version of Website