Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Rad retro MTB stuff [MTB of any discipline]
Posted: Mar 20, 2018 at 15:12 Quote
pdon wrote:
Hey guys,

I just found an early 90s, steel, Giant ATX frame that I want to build up.

I don't know too much about square taper BB's. I need to find a square taper crankset for this bad boy. Are there any compatibility issues I need to consider? Or do square taper cranks simply work with all square taper BBs

Generally they do, if you avoid Campagnolo and some very niche products. But there are different spindle lengths. Older cranks tend to need longer spindles.

XT or DX cranks from the early 90s need 122 to 126mm spindle length.

Square taper BB's also come in either 68mm or 73mm BSA and 70mm ITA. You will likely need a BSA BB. You can use a 73mm BB in a 68mm frame, by putting a spacer on the driveside. 68mm BB in a 73mm BB housing will not work.

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 at 23:15 Quote
Here is my retro ride...1996 Litespeed Obed, this is the first time the frame has ever been built up!
photo

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 at 7:20 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
pdon wrote:
Hey guys,

I don't know too much about square taper BB's. I need to find a square taper crankset for this bad boy. Are there any compatibility issues I need to consider? Or do square taper cranks simply work with all square taper BBs

Generally they do, if you avoid Campagnolo and some very niche products. But there are different spindle lengths. Older cranks tend to need longer spindles.

XT or DX cranks from the early 90s need 122 to 126mm spindle length.

Square taper BB's also come in either 68mm or 73mm BSA and 70mm ITA. You will likely need a BSA BB. You can use a 73mm BB in a 68mm frame, by putting a spacer on the driveside. 68mm BB in a 73mm BB housing will not work.

Thanks guy,

Super helpful.

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
my 1991 Kirk Revolution, mostly original parts fully restored and now my runaround bike
My latest project completed. Kirk Magnesium from about 1993. Either original parts or of the same era. Very pleased with it.

Are these cast magnesium, or did i make that up. Looks dead futuristic for the time.

(cancel that just seen the decal on chainstay)

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 at 14:32 Quote
Pretty close to my ultimate spec on this build.
Will maybe swap the shock for an Avalanche in the future but the Manitou is functionally sweet as a nut.

Yeti Lawwill DH9 Avalanche Marzocchi Shiver DC Manitou Swinger Ti coil Hope Mono 6ti 225 205mm discs XTR-M952 BB crank shifter mech Avid Rollamajig MRP Yeti rollers Hope headset Mavic D321 on 20mm front amp rear hubs Thomson post Charge saddle RaceFace bar ODI Yeti grips.

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 at 15:38 Quote
Im running zee cranks 36t
Atx team
pdon wrote:
Hey guys,

O+
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
1992ish GT RTS - I need some bushing for the rear suspension bottom linkage. I will post more pictures later
1992 GT RTS
  1992 GT RTS

1997 Kona A'HA
1997 Kona A HA stars amp bars set up as beach cruiser.
  1997 Kona A'HA stars & bars, set up as beach cruiser.

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 21:31 Quote
Seeing a pic of that Giant ATX is bringing back floods of memories of my teens and mountain biking, i love it!

Just finished my post modern rebuild of an Orange C16r -

Before -

how it arrived...

After -

finished

I love the simplicity of a rigid mountain bike, only thing is I now don't want to get it too dirty haha!

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 1:57 Quote
Ruffryder01 wrote:
Seeing a pic of that Giant ATX is bringing back floods of memories of my teens and mountain biking, i love it!

Just finished my post modern rebuild of an Orange C16r -

Before - (...)
After - (...)

I love the simplicity of a rigid mountain bike, only thing is I now don't want to get it too dirty haha!

Beautifully done! Wink

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 12:43 Quote
Yo. Just wanted to abuse the use of this forum. I have a set of Manitou SX Carbon Forks from 1996 for sale on eBay. I need them gone soon as I’m moving to Switzerland and don’t want to bin them since they are kinda rare and still work fine last time I checked. Link is https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273317217986

Sorry for abusing the forum but I need to sell this. Soooooo sorry not sorry

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
Is '96 vintage enough? Fisher XCaliber. Currently my Judy XC's elastomers have turned to dust. If anyone here is selling late 90's-early 00's suspension forks, I'm a motivated buyer.

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 14:53 Quote
http://www.bikerecyclery.com/suspension/?sort=newest

This could help you out.

Posted: Oct 20, 2018 at 7:46 Quote
photo
Just picked up this 1989 Fisher CR-7!

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 17:11 Quote
photo
My 80's Giant AT750

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016663
Mobile Version of Website