Powered by Outside

Recommended bike for Southern Alberta riding?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Recommended bike for Southern Alberta riding?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 22:34 Quote
-CLOSED-

Found a reign 2 on a good price and they threw in pedals and stuff. Not the fanciest bike, but more than enough for now and more importantly the paint is nice, components I can always upgrade next year.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 5:59 Quote
full suspension AM bike with 6" travel front/rear. Lots of options for $3k, maybe a norco range? if you wait until winter/spring you should be able to get a great deal on a 2012.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 11:20 Quote
I would agree with superman. I'm in Red Deer, so ride lots of the same territory you do. I've had a Rocky Slayer for the last 11 years that I've done everything with, but it's now finished. I bought an Ellsworth Moment to replace it, as the 6" travel bikes can do all you want them to, from climbs in k-country to DH days at pano. If it's the only one you got, it better be versatile. Check out the buy and sell, as there is lots of used, and new stuff on it, and do some research. What's your weight? What's your riding style? At 240#'s, I need a sturdier bike to do the same trail as a 175# guy. And if you can, see what you can demo. Get to know some guys at a local bike store, and ask questions of them too! Enjoy the search, and don't be to hasty, make sure that what you get, is what you want, and need.

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 at 10:41 Quote
micanole wrote:
I would agree with superman. I'm in Red Deer, so ride lots of the same territory you do. I've had a Rocky Slayer for the last 11 years that I've done everything with, but it's now finished. I bought an Ellsworth Moment to replace it, as the 6" travel bikes can do all you want them to, from climbs in k-country to DH days at pano. If it's the only one you got, it better be versatile. Check out the buy and sell, as there is lots of used, and new stuff on it, and do some research. What's your weight? What's your riding style? At 240#'s, I need a sturdier bike to do the same trail as a 175# guy. And if you can, see what you can demo. Get to know some guys at a local bike store, and ask questions of them too! Enjoy the search, and don't be to hasty, make sure that what you get, is what you want, and need.

I was looking at trek slash 7 and norco range 3 as the bike shop down the street from me will be able to get them easily and I do all my business with them(cyclepath). In fact I love the trek slash, but the components are meh, and the price is high, but the frame and colour scheme are sexy. However I have already been told as far as demoing the bikes goes, cyclepath does not stock bikes 6" and up because the demand isn't there for them.

My riding style is very aggressive and I like to push hard and don't mind crashing. Sometimes I will admit I probably go to fast for the terrain or capabilities of my bike, but it hasn't let me down catastrophically yet and I'm still in one piece, Go big or go home right? as for weight, I'm usually around 180lbs depending on how often I goto BJJ and such could be plus or minus 5lbs. I'm only 5'8" though, short muscular build a result of BJJ

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 at 11:18 Quote
Depends on how versatile you want to be. If you want to take on the DH trails at Moose and the odd day in the bike park, then a 6" is definitely the ticket. But if you just want to ride trail, and only suffer the climb to get to the down, then I've found very little around here that a good 5" bike can't take on. They'll be lighter and cheaper than an equivalent spec 6". I spent a lot of last season on a friend's Giant Trance, and that's a killer bike for around here. Other friends ride all over on a Devinci Dixon and Trek EX8's, and my old Kona Dawg makes a pretty decent job of things.

Last time I was in at Cyclepath they had a great deal on a Trek EX9 and I think they had Trances in stock too. Might be worth a look.

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 at 12:20 Quote
Yes, 6" travel bikes in your price range will generally be a bit heavier than 5" at the same price/spec, but, if you get a $4000 bike on clearance for $3k, 30lbs should be very possible.

Most shops in town are starting to discount '12 models now, so start checking their websites and/or making calls.

Some other Trail/AM bikes worth checking out that can be found in your budget:
Giant - Reign
Devinci - Dixon
Rocky Mountain - Altitude/Slayer
Marin - Mount Vision

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 at 18:22 Quote
I can afford to spend more than 3k, how much more is dependent on how much it costs to redo the suspension in my truck.

I've taken a look at those other models listed and I have looked at the rocky mountain slayer/altitude before, it was also on my list. As far as weight goes, I'm more concerned about the frame itself, I will own the bike for quite a long time and will definitely be upgrading components here and there. Which is why I'm placing more emphasis on aesthetics and frame and overlooking some components. That said, my hardtail that I have ridden up and down powderface ridge is in the 32~34lbs range, forget exactly so yea...

As far as drive train, I really would prefer a 2x10 or 2x9, a bashguard and chainguide would be great so I dont have to buy it extra. Also looking at slapping on a Reverb.

my compiled list atm looks something like this:
2013 Norco range 3 - 2900 MSRP, didnt ask the shop how much it would be
2013 trek slash 7 - should be about 3400 i was told
2012 slayer 30 - on sale for 2400
2012 trek slash 7 - on sale 3300
2012 Giant reign X2 - on sale 2300 - would be looking to replace drive train, paint job is really nice.
2012 devinci dixon XP - 3000 MSRP(sale price unknown, cactus says all 2012's on sale but there is no list on website)

removed 2012 slayer 50, don't want a white bike... Right now leaning to the reign X2, if the discounted one at cyclepath is the same as 2012 reign X2 that is one sexy colour scheme imo and pretty cheap. My only concern is it seems to be a mini glory and more freeride than AM

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011925
Mobile Version of Website