Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 7:32 Quote
or washers on the chainring bolts...

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
I’m swapping parts from one DH frame to another and am putting on the cranks and chain guide. I figured there wouldn’t be any issues with this but, the chainring is rubbing on the lower pulley of the guide. Is this a spacer thing on the cranks or what? Seams like it should just go on and work.
Thanks

If the guide is mounted on iscg tabs, they may need washers to bring the guide out, or the drive side bb may need a Spacer to bring the crank out....

My E13 TRS ISCG mounted chain guide has washers spacing it out a few mm. Without it my chainring would rub the inside of the right side of the guide. If yours is rubbing in the same way then get some washers installed inbetween the ISCG tabs and the guide. If irs rubbing in the opposite way on the inside of the left side then washer bolts mounted on the chainring to space it out to the right. If your chainring is a direct mount, depending on how its mounted right now, you might be able to flip it to move the chain ring out to the right. As others said, pics would probably help us nail down the recommendation.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
Thanks I’ll throw in some washers.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
sosburn wrote:
okay so im super broke this week and want to ride but my rear wheel isn't setting up tubeless, I'm out sealant and i have a tube but it has a little hole in it from taking a tire off a rim with a tire lever. im wondering if i can use some gorilla tape as a quick tube patch for riding today/tomorrow till i get paid on friday haha, go ahead and judge

tied a knot so the hole was in the knot, filled the tire back up and rode the rest of the day.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
sosburn wrote:
okay so im super broke this week and want to ride but my rear wheel isn't setting up tubeless, I'm out sealant and i have a tube but it has a little hole in it from taking a tire off a rim with a tire lever. im wondering if i can use some gorilla tape as a quick tube patch for riding today/tomorrow till i get paid on friday haha, go ahead and judge

tied a knot so the hole was in the knot, filled the tire back up and rode the rest of the day.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
Can Boxxer 27.5 lower legs be installed on 26" Boxxer RC stanchions?
I've heard this is possible...but it seems like you would need to replace the rebound damper, spring?
HELP!
Need to convert to 27.5 on the cheap!
Thanks

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
h8ts2pdl wrote:
I've heard this is possible...but it seems like you would need to replace the rebound damper, spring?
HELP!
Thanks

if its anything but the new Debonair boxxer, you can swap lowers, everything else stays, if you are running a charger damper, you will need to remove the insert, and carry it over to the 27.5 lower.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
Is it worth spending £35 on bigger disc rotors for more power (180 to 200), or should I invest £250 in a proper 4 piston brake set

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 13:56 Quote
goytay wrote:
h8ts2pdl wrote:
HELP!
Thanks

if its anything but the new Debonair boxxer, you can swap lowers, everything else stays, if you are running a charger damper, you will need to remove the insert, and carry it over to the 27.5 lower.

Thanks bro...I heard it was plug and play, just wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger. I'm looking at just buying the standard boxxer 27.5 lowers for the RC, they're about $250, and installing them on my 2014 boxxer RC...I don't actually have a "parts fork" for the lowers. I don't have a charger damper, just the standard rebound damper...will I have to get a longer one, for the longer lower leg?

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
Cammyd14 wrote:
Is it worth spending £35 on bigger disc rotors for more power (180 to 200), or should I invest £250 in a proper 4 piston brake set

Since you get new rotors with new brake set, I'd advise you go that route. Once you get use to the power of 4 piston brakes, you're never mess with dual pistons again, especially for DH Smile

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 14:18 Quote
Cammyd14 wrote:

4 piston brakes are great. try the TRP slate T4, much cheaper than most 4 pots with similar performance. they feel like sram, but with reliabilty of shimano. great brakes.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
Cammyd14 wrote:

4 piston brakes are great. try the TRP slate T4, much cheaper than most 4 pots with similar performance. they feel like sram, but with reliabilty of shimano. great brakes.

or you can trust German engineering and go with Magura, good pricing and better performance.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
magura hasnt made a top level brake since the gustav, CHANGE MY MIND lol

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
what about the Saint?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
dhmtbr777 wrote:
or the Code RSC?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.044277
Mobile Version of Website