2012 trek remedy 9.8 or?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2012 at 3:05 Quote
Having owned a few am bikes such as lapierre orange etc I've gotta say I love the way my 2009 trek remedy (160 lyrics) rides, it's got a nice short back end which was nothing like my old zesty which was hard work to manual.
But my alloy trek remedy is coming in at around 30lbs and I would love one of thier new carbon remedys which are around 27lb.
I have read a few reviews saying that the front drcv forks are no good so obviously I would just replace with a good set of 160's? So I am very tempted to go all out and spend mega dollar on one of these steeds! I've got a redline flight xxl 20" to satisfy my Bmx race background but I feel a lighter am bike would take the sting out of a bit of road work to!
What are people's opinions on the 2012 remedy 9.8 and what else should I be considering? I ride mainly trail centres but comin from racing Bmx am no stranger to jumping and keeping her doctor 'smooth'!

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 at 8:41 Quote
I think the 2013 DRCV comes with volume tuning spacers so you can tune the second part of the stroke more to your liking so might want to try it out for a bit before getting rid off it.

I tried a Remedy 8 which is an Alu version the guy in the shop said the Carbon ones were not much lighter than the Alu ones. You pay a LOT more money for the carbon frame and get a tiny weight benefit but the carbon frames are a bit stiffer not that I noticed any flex in the alu frame. He suggested I would be better of putting the same amount of money on a better spec to lose weight.

If you like jumps then maybe this might not be the bike for you. It was a really composed and great ride that I felt confident to throw it down some really steep and technical terrain but it wasn't the most fun feeling bike out there. Absorbed the jumps rather than popping off them.

Take a look at the Transition Bandit that was a really fun bile that made we want to pop off every little root or bump and I'm not much of a jumper. Don't be fooled by the 130mm of travel its much more capable than you think. Think of it as a 160mm play bike but with 130mm of suspension. I think people are building bikes at around 28lb for sensible money

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 at 21:00 Quote
A lot of money for carbon with not much weight difference . And the DRCV shocks have some problems

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 at 7:21 Quote
I have an '11 r8. I love the bike, I really really really really do. That said, I love the DRCV shock, it was replaced with an rp23 right out of the gate due to that leak around the valve. 8 months later, the rp23 had to go to fox for the same problems. Destroyed a fork (non-drcv) in 6 months, it had to go to fox. and the biggest problems i've had: see picture.
bi-lateral chainstays destroyed
bi-lateral chain stay fracture. lol ooops. it was warrantied though. makes me lose a little trust in it though. I ride the crap out of it though.

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 1:26 Quote
Whoa four seven!, maybe ill think twice when I'm dropping something on my remedy! And I bet it plays your mind every time now!
My zesty I had before the remedy was a great bike but it was really squirmy when taking it to stile cop at cannock, a change of fork would of helped, (9mm qr!) but the 20mm on the lyrics I have now feels planted.
I find the 2009 150/160 remedy I have really nice for jumping, it's a 17.5 so not to long and manuals with ease, I'll have to have a ride on the 2012 to see if it feels the way I like as would be gutted if different to my 2009. Maybe I could make mine lighter? The slime tubes I use are seriously heavy but would love it to weigh around 28lb if possible.
I've always wanted a carbon bike though and on my short list there is also the carbon nomad, ibis hd, and the remedy, the slash 9 seems way to heavy for the sort of riding I do, lush bike though!
Im thinking Remedy 9.8 with the slash 160 forks? Surely this would feel similar to my current ride?
Cheers for the replies so far

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 1:53 Quote
I have a pretty much stock '12 Remedy 9 in a 17.5, all I've done is drop the triple for a 1x10, added a e13 guide, weighs around 27.5lb

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 4:08 Quote
Adverse wrote:
I have a pretty much stock '12 Remedy 9 in a 17.5, all I've done is drop the triple for a 1x10, added a e13 guide, weighs around 27.5lb

Is that an alloy frame? That's pretty goo!d, I think the lyrics on mine don't help with the weight much... And seriously toying with the idea of 1x10 but living by some seriously steep hills the granny ring comes in handy

Posted: Jun 10, 2013 at 22:07 Quote
The Remedy 9.8 is a stellar ride! AM for days the full floater is simply the best suspension design out there for all types of riding. I also just went 650b.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/general-discussion/68222-cougars-whiting-ranch-p.html

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 6:12 Quote
Save your money, go with the alloy version and shave weight in other areas that cost less.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011910
Mobile Version of Website