Intense Tracer 2 Inquiry

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 at 7:26 Quote
I posted a similar thread in the FR/DH section but didn't get much of a response so I am trying here.

I am in the market for a new (or new to me) bike. Currently considering an Intense Tracer 2 or Uzzi. I am leaning more towards the Tracer 2 due to it's price and availability. What I want it to do is this, I want to be able to ride my local trails which involve a lot of ups and downs, I don't expect to climb like an XC racer, I just want to be able to climb to the top and bomb my way down. This is what I do mostly because it's local to me.

I would also like the bike to be capable of going to the lift access parks, I want to be able to do reasonable sized drops, tabletops etc.

Can someone (for the love of god) tell me if the Tracer 2 is a good choice for what I am looking for? I was also thinking of a Trek Slash but really don't like the idea of proprietary suspension (shocks I can't change out).

Regardless of what bike I get I will probably be running a 1x10 (personal preference) and air shocks for weight, although the more I think about it the more I like the idea of coils, more of a set it and forget it setup. I got tired of checking the air before every ride on my trail bike I just sold.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Oct 16, 2012 at 19:13 Quote
So, I am the proud owner of a Tracer 2. Here it is:
photo

As you can see, it is set up 1x10, with 6 inches of front and rear travel. I went from having a xc and a DH bike, so I wanted something that could ride it all. I usually ride uphill to my local trails, which are good 6inch bike trails. I do the occasional DH shuttle day, and rode Whistler bike park for 5 days this summer. I also commuted to work, about 1.5hours every day to work on this bike! I was looking around carefully before picking this bike, there are many reasons to go for it.
Versatile - 5.5 or 6 inches of suspension
Looks - I wanted a bike I loved the look of
Suspension - Perfect amount, and VPP is great.
Review - All the reviews of this bike love it
American - I love the idea of a locally handwelded frame
Price - Not too high!

So, after having the bike for several months, I love it. I wasn't too sure about Uzzi vs Tracer, but I chose the Tracer because for 90% of my riding it is perfect. I love the bike and have had no problems with it. The bike climbs well with no pedal feedback, and descends amazingly. I have been hitting decent sized drops and jumps on it, and it has been fine. I love the 1x10, it pedals great. I can get it up all the hills I have tried so far.

I would go air shocks, performance seems great these days, and the loss of some weight is always handy! I find you don't really need to check the air on your suspension every ride, I check mine every couple weeks.. I am thinking about switching out the RP23 for a different airshock, like the xfusion vector air. I am also thinking about slackening it out a bit, just to see how it rides, as I noticed on some proper steep DH tracks, it doesn't ride as well as a proper DH bike, obviously...

So overall, I love it as my do-it-all bike. I haven't faced something I couldn't ride on it yet. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I work at a bike shop(that doesn't sell Intense!), so I know my stuff! As a side note, my shop sells Trek, so the logical bike would have been a Slash. I didn't go for the Slash due to the DRCV shock, and the fact that a co-worker has broken the rear chainstays twice on his, riding the same stuff I do.

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 3:20 Quote
Thanks for the response, great looking bike, looks like you did exactly what I would do to it.

What are you running for a seat post? Looks like you have a dropper in there but I don't see any cables (does the T2 have internal cable routing for the dropper like the new Uzzi frame does?

What size is your T2, how tall are you and what is your inseam (pant length) I am still undecided as to which size I should get, based off their website I fall right in between the medium and the large. My last bike was a Giant Trace X2 medium and that bike felt small but I think Giants run a bit small to begin with.

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 9:32 Quote
I can't pass up an opportunity to show mine!

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/mreccord/utf-8BUGFyYWRpc2UtMjAxMjA1MzAtMDAyMzguanBn.jpg
I'll echo everything mtnbyker said (nice T2 build!). I also went from an XC and DH bike to the T2 alone and IMO a T2 with a 36 or Lyrik and a decent wheel/tire combo can handle just about anything. The only scenario where I might want a different bike would be full-on resort riding and that's not to say you couldn't manage everything at Whistler on a T2, it just might be more fun on a DH bike. I have an angleset installed in the -1 degree setting on mine and it's plenty slack for steep descents but not too bad going up things. Local trails have a lot of steep, super technical ups and downs and the T2 eats them up even under my 200lb hack ass. Big Grin I've never been happier with a bike than I am with this one.

I'm switching to 1x10 (or maybe 11) over the winter.

Dropper post cable routing is external.

I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam and the medium frame fits me perfectly.

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 10:23 Quote
great to hear, keep it coming guys.

Posted: Oct 17, 2012 at 12:37 Quote
Mine is a large, I am 6,2. Can't measure my inseam because I am in class. The t 2doesn't have internal cable routing, I broke my cable and have been running it without. Exactly what mkr 1 said, the bike handles everything.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Do you like the tracer slackened out mkr? I am thinking about doing it to mine

Posted: Oct 18, 2012 at 9:34 Quote
mtnbyker wrote:
Mine is a large, I am 6,2. Can't measure my inseam because I am in class. The t 2doesn't have internal cable routing, I broke my cable and have been running it without. Exactly what mkr 1 said, the bike handles everything.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Do you like the tracer slackened out mkr? I am thinking about doing it to mine

I think the T2 geometry works really nicely with an angleset. The extra bit of slackness is helpful in the really steep stuff and doesn't seem to negatively affect uphill behaviour much. I bought the Angleset with the idea of shifting the HA for different sorts of riding. However, I've gotten accustomed to the bike's geo in -1 mode that I just leave it there now. I'm seemingly one of the few people who hasn't had any trouble with the Cane Creek Angleset.

Posted: Oct 18, 2012 at 10:43 Quote
MKR1 wrote:
mtnbyker wrote:

I think the T2 geometry works really nicely with an angleset. The extra bit of slackness is helpful in the really steep stuff and doesn't seem to negatively affect uphill behaviour much. I bought the Angleset with the idea of shifting the HA for different sorts of riding. However, I've gotten accustomed to the bike's geo in -1 mode that I just leave it there now. I'm seemingly one of the few people who hasn't had any trouble with the Cane Creek Angleset.

Good to know, I may buy some offset bushings as they are cheaper then an angleset, especially as my current headset isn't that old.

Posted: Oct 19, 2012 at 7:06 Quote
I actually came off an Uzzi VPX and rode an Uzzi VP before I got my T2. I had my VPX set up for DH riding with the slacker dropouts and a coil 180mm 66. It was a 41lb beast, not fun to pedal up anything. The Uzzi VP I rode was set up more AM style with lighter components than my Uzzi had. It definitely felt lighter and was easier to pedal up things than my VPX but still well in the camp of a (primarily) gravity machine. The T2 was lighter again and way easier to pedal up things than the Uzzi but definitely gave up a bit to it in the descent department with the original build (150mm 32, no angleset). However on technical descents, the T2's rear end actually felt as stiff as the Uzzi's and it was waaaaay less flexy than my VPX's rear end. When I put the 36 and Angleset on there, the front end improved quite a bit and honestly, I don't think it gives up very much to the new Uzzi on descents but it's way better pedaling up things. My T2 is a hands down better descender than my old VPX ever was. It's a really good compromise between a DH bike and an XC one. Intense really did it right with the T2.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 10:37 Quote
How do you guys feel about sizing on your bikes, I'm 5'8" tall and am looking into getting an intense tracer vp but it is a size large do you think it would be a bad idea for me to get that or do you think that it would work out for me?

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 10:39 Quote
Knolly20 wrote:
How do you guys feel about sizing on your bikes, I'm 5'8" tall and am looking into getting an intense tracer vp but it is a size large do you think it would be a bad idea for me to get that or do you think that it would work out for me?

I would think a medium, as I ride a large and I am 6'2 and it feels good. I would suggest waiting for other's input or actually riding the bike, as it may work for you!

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:16 Quote
Knolly20 wrote:
I say bad idea.
I'm also 5'8" and between Small and Medium, nowhere near Large frame size.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:21 Quote
I ended up going with an Uzzi (Medium) I am 5'10" and with a 50mm stem and it feels very roomy

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:31 Quote
conlysm wrote:
I ended up going with an Uzzi (Medium) I am 5'10" and with a 50mm stem and it feels very roomy

Yeah man, congrats. I saw your pics, it looks sweet!

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 12:04 Quote
Alright thank you gentle men for the input I now know what not to do

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010998
Mobile Version of Website