I need help with my jumping technique!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
I need help with my jumping technique!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2012 at 15:02 Quote
I really need some advice on my jumping technique. I don't have a video, so I'll have to explain what's happening.

I pedal as hard as I can up to the jump I want to jump, but no matter my speed, I seem to get pathetic air, and nearly always land rear wheel first - it feels rubbish.

This is really frustrating, and I have no idea whether it's me (I think it probably is), or the fact my bike is a small and I'm 6'2".

My friend says I seem to "squash" my legs and arms, like trying to absorb impact before take-off. I normally ride reasonable aggressively, so I'm leaning forward into a jump, and it always goes pear-shaped Frown .
He seems to be able to get much more air (with not the best technique) and less speed too.

No matter what I seem to try I get the same result, and I need to get it sorted. By the way, I'm fine on any drops and small jumps on the trail, it's things like tabletops and gap jumps where I screw up.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Or pointers as to how to do it right?

I ride a small Orange Patriot, totems, and a van r (with a too small spring if it's any use)

Any contribution at all, would be great!

Posted: Oct 23, 2012 at 15:29 Quote
Are you "pumping" up the face of the tranny? Try not to be to rigid either

Posted: Oct 23, 2012 at 20:00 Quote
Yea sounds like your not pumping the jump. Try pushing into the jump and exploding upwards when you get to the top of the lip. Maybe start on small jumps and try to jump up more than out and get the feeling of loading the front shock up. Then relax in the air and ride away.

Check out this book for some good info on jumping, there is a section on jumping if your new to this stuff:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/85068091/58/Dial-Your-Jumping-Style

Posted: Oct 23, 2012 at 20:06 Quote
A video would help.

But for jumps at a reasonable speed you can try either "pumping" the early part of the jump. Compressing your suspension as you go off the lip. Which will give you more pop.

Or if the lip is pretty mellow you can "hop" off of it. As your front tire nears the lip pull/get your body weight back. Then push the bars forward/center your weight on the bike.

Really hard to explain.

I'd suggest finding a small jump your comfortable with. Ride it over and over, try these different methods and see what works. If something works, keep practicing.

Jumping, for me, is basically non instinctive. You have to ride untill your comfortable with being in the air, taking off at speed.

People sometimes ask "Did you pull up" off a jump. I shrug my shoulders. But in fact I'm preloading the rear wheel/suspension and hopping over the gap. I just don't realize it as it comes as instinct now.

This is mainly done on shallow'er lipped jumps, when trying to get more distance/air.

Nobody on here will give you an answer that will make instantly good at jumping. You just need practice and getting comfortable with airtime. Good luck!

Posted: Oct 24, 2012 at 3:50 Quote
Thanks, that's really helpful!

I think I need to stand higher and further forward. At the moment I ride jumps in the "drop" position (over the back wheel).

Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
Stand pretty centered on the bike, weight the front end just enough so your putting pressure on the bars, but not so much that your leaning forward or over the front end. This keeps your position upright when you pop off the lip.
As you get to the beginning of the jump start to compress the suspension equally front/rear. Think of it as popping off the pedals rather than popping with the handlebars. When you get to the lip, unload and pop.
Ive noticed i used to leave the front end alone when jumping. Like id just pop off the pedals and not pop the front. It made it unpredictable, now ive started kinda doing an ollie. Load the suspension and pop, first with the front, and just as im lifting the front end pop off the rear/pedals. Gave me much more control in the air.

Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 13:52 Quote
the reason you're jumping in the "drop position" as you say it is fear.at least that's for me.i tried finding a steep but safe jump...i noticed that i've been over the rear wheel for the first jumps but when i started feeling more comfortable with the speed and the jump itself and stayed in regular position it helped me gain more height and length.i still have a long long way to feel comfortable with air but that's a first step.

Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 13:58 Quote
6 2 and riding a small, you should be on a large mate!

Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 14:25 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
6 2 and riding a small, you should be on a large mate!

HAHA, yeah I know, the patriot was too much of a bargain not to buy! I'm saving for a large flatline

Posted: Oct 25, 2012 at 14:27 Quote
papardelas wrote:
the reason you're jumping in the "drop position" as you say it is fear.at least that's for me.i tried finding a steep but safe jump...i noticed that i've been over the rear wheel for the first jumps but when i started feeling more comfortable with the speed and the jump itself and stayed in regular position it helped me gain more height and length.i still have a long long way to feel comfortable with air but that's a first step.

Maybe, I don't feel especially scared - more determined to max out speed, could be though. I seem to improve technique on certain jumps over time, so maybe you're right.

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 at 14:30 Quote
try riding on a pumptrack for a while, it should help you get the feel of pumping a transition.

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 at 15:10 Quote
Dont forget if your feet/toes are pointing up the front end will land pointing up. Point your feet/toes down and the front of the bike will want to point down because the way your feet are pointing will determine the body position. Theres obviously more to it than that but try it and you will see what i mean.

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 at 19:04 Quote
What u are doing is the absorb technique thats when u are going to fast so u absorb the jump so u dont fly to long, try going slower and bend your knees and arms before the takeoff and when u are on the takeoff or when u go up the lip extend!
Video describing how to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdTSuq8s-eA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAfA6NQ2x4

Posted: Oct 27, 2012 at 13:18 Quote
Beerswe wrote:
What u are doing is the absorb technique thats when u are going to fast so u absorb the jump so u dont fly to long, try going slower and bend your knees and arms before the takeoff and when u are on the takeoff or when u go up the lip extend!
Video describing how to

I think that's exactly what I'm doing! I'll try extending next time I go riding.

Posted: Oct 27, 2012 at 13:41 Quote
Juddman1 wrote:
Beerswe wrote:
Video describing how to

I think that's exactly what I'm doing! I'll try extending next time I go riding.

Dont forget the toes for the landing lol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017411
Mobile Version of Website