Shimano 105 shifters

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano 105 shifters
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 28, 2012 at 7:26 Quote
I have a broken 105 st 5600 shifter (left). I want to buy used but the 5700series is easier to find. Will the 5700 series work for me without changing anything else?
Thanks

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 at 13:55 Quote
Yes, as long as it is for the correct number of chain rings. The left shifter obviously comes in double or triple, buying one which has the same number of positions as you have chain rings will make setting up the gears, and riding, far more rewarding

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 at 14:44 Quote
Unfortunately, 5700 (and any newer Shimano gears) are not compatible with the older set ups. The gear ratios are different, so pull different amounts of cable. You'll have to find 5600 shifters or look at swapping out mechs as well as shifters

Posted: Nov 1, 2012 at 14:52 Quote
cbear wrote:
Unfortunately, 5700 (and any newer Shimano gears) are not compatible with the older set ups. The gear ratios are different, so pull different amounts of cable. You'll have to find 5600 shifters or look at swapping out mechs as well as shifters

The above is incorrect SL-R5700 10 speed shifters are fine to replace your older SL-R5600 10 speed levers. Just replace both sides as the length and shape of the levers is different and will feel weird riding with mismatched levers.

Only 10 speed Dyna-Sys MTB components are not compatible with older components due to the change in cable pull on the new shifters and Mechs to give a lighter shift action.

The SL-R 5700 shifters work best when used with the Shimano PTFE inner gear wires.

However you could also get your LBS to look up and order you a Replacement lever assembly which is around £119 RRP This fits into your existing housing.

There was a problem with the first generation 5600 shifter on the LH unit as due to the design it was supposed to be able to be set up for both a double and a triple but it could mis time on the ratchet and trim settings causing it to fail
Shimano then released 5601 double and 5603 triple LH units.

Posted: Nov 2, 2012 at 15:49 Quote
Thanks all. And thanks for clearing that up disturbed

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011301
Mobile Version of Website