Fear of bigger jumps

PB Forum :: Tutorials
Fear of bigger jumps
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 at 6:20 Quote
Please help me get over my fear of big jumps, I haven't rode in three months and I have fear of doing the bigger jumps. I'm not sure if It's about all big jumps, there is only one big jump near me that I had a crash on and everytime now I go for it I just grab the brake, tried the death grip, tried going as fast as I can, just going for it but this doesen't work for me, I think It's just about this jump because I always imagine myself failing and crashing when I see It's kicker. There are smaller jumps at this place but If I go faster I fly even more than the big jump, Its all in my mind please help me guys. Please

Posted: Nov 17, 2012 at 8:11 Quote
I had the same problem as you man, I crashed really bad once on a jump and got scared to shit of trying it again. What helped me a lot was that I went on its trail again listening to some music, it really gets you confident on doing a lot of stuff, but you have to go whenever you feel confortable by doing so... Maybe you could even try to jump something bigger than that for you to know that you are able to do it, the thing is that in your head you think you can't. That's all I can say. Good luck and riding!tup

Posted: Nov 22, 2012 at 23:05 Quote
"Nothing to it but to do it" is my motto. Don't think or stare at it too much. Just hit it and own that shit!

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 6:18 Quote
Do some drugs and you'll be fine.

But really. Pick a day to practice then do it. Visualize what you're going to do in basic easy steps, from beginning to end. Practice on the smaller jumps and work your way up the size/confidence.

Once you are staring down the jump and about to go, let yourself know you are perfectly capable of doing it and succeeding. Fully commit. Don't half way it, just go and concentrate on the very very basics of a jump. Don't think to deeply on the finer/smaller stuff and especially don't think about crashing while you are hitting the jump lip. Do it in confidence and have fun. Don't let a jump intimidate you. Having a bad crash on a certain jump can definitely be demotivating and play with your mind. But don't let that happen to you. Commit and own it.

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 12:28 Quote
The best way is to dig / build your own jump.
Digging / building creates good karma, and you can taylor the jump to your specific needs.
Try to make a mini version of the big jump with similar angle / size / gap.
Hit it while it's small, build it bigger. Hit it while it's medium, build it bigger.
Keep hitting it and building it bigger. Work your way up inches / feet at a time.
Don't ever talk / think about someone's crash before or during your ride. Save that for later.
There's a huge step-down that I'm scared of at Duthie, so I built a replica at my local spot.
I'm working my way up to it, and pretty soon... I will conquer that shit!

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 11:56 Quote
KingsgateDirtJumper wrote:
The best way is to dig / build your own jump.
Digging / building creates good karma, and you can taylor the jump to your specific needs.
Try to make a mini version of the big jump with similar angle / size / gap.
Hit it while it's small, build it bigger. Hit it while it's medium, build it bigger.
Keep hitting it and building it bigger. Work your way up inches / feet at a time.
Don't ever talk / think about someone's crash before or during your ride. Save that for later.
There's a huge step-down that I'm scared of at Duthie, so I built a replica at my local spot.
I'm working my way up to it, and pretty soon... I will conquer that shit!

must be the dwb line stepdown?

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 9:36 Quote
When i decide to hit a jump, i just figure out what are the chances that i get badly injured. If the chances are low and/or chances that i'll only injure myself lightly, i'll hit it. If not, it's because i know i'm still not ready for that kind of jumps. When you decide to go for it, you should be ready and focus on the jumps 100%, thinking about hitting it or not should be behind you now.

Do you often crash? Cause i do and i only injured my self once. I kinda know what can hurt what what won't. I probly crash once or twice every time i ride my bike. Nothing big, i crashed in the a-line last year. Opened my elbow and burnt my tighs. Bough some elbow pads and TLD pants.

I only started riding DH last year, went to my local montain a few times to get me started. I hit almost every jumps, but the big wooden 45ft ones. I'll hit them this year tough, learnt a lot during my 2 weeks in whislter last year.

The scariest thing i hit is probly the middle jump line in sun peaks. Man, i was in the chairlift and my heart was going to explode. Those things are so huge! Was gonna go for the left line after but my shock exploded and there was oil all over my frame...

Posted: Mar 20, 2013 at 3:18 Quote
honestly the only way to over come this is to know you can do it. All u described in your attempts was how u did this,or that. Just hop on your rig knowing you can do what you want and do it. This is just from personal experience but I believe in whatever it is i want to get done.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015533
Mobile Version of Website