Clipless pedals, what should I buy?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Clipless pedals, what should I buy?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 8:49 Quote
I'm wanting to convert to the clipless set up on my xc hardtail but unsure on what pedals I should be getting...

I've been looking at the Shimano wide platform XT and the Crank Brothers Mallet as I understand these could also be ridden as flats (If I wanted to pop to the shop down the road etc). Are these wise choices/ which are preferred/ any other suggestions in that price bracket? (£50)

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 9:09 Quote
Strangely enough I own both of these pedals. I was riding the Mallets when I started to get into AM in California, gave up on clipless completely, and rode flat pedals for AM and DH while I lived in California. Moved to Texas and thought what the hell I'll give clipless another shot, the trails are much easier here, and bought the XTs. I was pretty pissed after the first ride, because if I would've been riding SPDs the whole time instead of crank brothers shit, I would've been riding AM and DH clipless. SPDs are so much easier to get into and out of than the Mallets, it is a two sided platform built around a four sided entry eggbeater, which means that you can have the platform lined up to your shoe and not be able to engage the clip, terribly annoying. Shimano also has much better QC than CB from my experience with a couple sets of pedals from each, I've never had to rebuild my shimanos, got 8 rides out of the mallets before they needed rebuilding. As for using them as a flat pedal, that is the one thing the mallet would be better for, but I've run the XTs on my fixie to ride over to a friends wearing regular shoes, not bad at all. If you want a bigger platform, check out the Shimano DX series.

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 9:29 Quote
dinosaurinachinastore wrote:
Strangely enough I own both of these pedals. I was riding the Mallets when I started to get into AM in California, gave up on clipless completely, and rode flat pedals for AM and DH while I lived in California. Moved to Texas and thought what the hell I'll give clipless another shot, the trails are much easier here, and bought the XTs. I was pretty pissed after the first ride, because if I would've been riding SPDs the whole time instead of crank brothers shit, I would've been riding AM and DH clipless. SPDs are so much easier to get into and out of than the Mallets, it is a two sided platform built around a four sided entry eggbeater, which means that you can have the platform lined up to your shoe and not be able to engage the clip, terribly annoying. Shimano also has much better QC than CB from my experience with a couple sets of pedals from each, I've never had to rebuild my shimanos, got 8 rides out of the mallets before they needed rebuilding. As for using them as a flat pedal, that is the one thing the mallet would be better for, but I've run the XTs on my fixie to ride over to a friends wearing regular shoes, not bad at all. If you want a bigger platform, check out the Shimano DX series.

Sweet, thanks man. Big help!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008191
Mobile Version of Website