Can you make a light dh bike with 6-7" travel starting with all mountain frame?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Can you make a light dh bike with 6-7" travel starting with all mountain frame?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 21:32 Quote
Alright, so ive mostly been looking at downhill bikes lately and im starting to wonder if I could take a frame like the banshee rune and build it ground up to be a sturdy dh bike that is still manageable pedaling up. What are your guys thoughts?

Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 22:55 Quote
Good downhill and good uphill don't really go together. Maybe a Specialized Enduro built beefier?

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 3:52 Quote
In my experience, it really depends on your fitness. I'm not exactly superfit but my pretty much stock Scott Voltage Fr 20 2010 is really no bother to get up xc trails. If I were you I'd go for a light fr bike.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 6:28 Quote
It would probably be a good starter-bike but sooner or later you'll be wanting a more capable frame for the descents ...

Maybe find a light FR bike or a beefy super-enduro frame (like I've got)?

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 12:36 Quote
Funny thing is, even with dh frames, their frames are often so thin and weak (aluminum) nowadays. So i cant imagine it hurting to build a frame up as a mini-dh rig. Honestly tho, stick with 180mm single crown forks, they'll work better and will offer the more type of agility/handling that your rig will want/need. A nice coil shock as well will supplement the bikes characteristics. Just make sure the frame you get is strong, not thin or known problems but beefy and thick tubing. Even if you outfitted a XC frame with DH parts, you'll still have a XC frame you know?

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 12:57 Quote
Thanks guys, this will be my first downhill bike and i want to avoid going with a freeride bike as im looking for a bike more geared towards speed not play. Im also 190 lbs and in my experience air shocks wont work for me with my weight i just eat up the travel even on smaller stuff. I dont ride up a whole lot i walk most of it, but id like to be able to ride up if im somewhere new and not be completely miserable. Possibly the scott gambler with the maestro linkage? the linkage seems more like advertisement and not very helpful though. Any thoughts you guys have throw out there im trying to learn everything i can before purchasing next summer

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 16:24 Quote
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but if it's your first DH bike I can't see the geometry difference between a FR or DH bike making a tremendous difference on your speed. If I were you, I would definitely go with a coil-sprung fr bike as you'll be it'll allow you to pedal up and still be sturdy on the way down.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 18:28 Quote
Yeah the whole designation thing is whack. Just as along it has enough rear travel, can accept longer Axle-to-Crown heights, has a sturdier/durable than average frame, and has the right geo. That could mean, AM, FR, DH, or little of everything. My VP-Free was designed for FR, but with some little mods it's now a pure DH rig and powers through everything. You can technically make any bike into any discipline..just find the geo/frame that works for you. The problem I had was that my previous Mini-DH was that it couldn't do enough DH. It just was kinda...in between everything. Ok climbing, ok DH, ok everything else. It was fun and all, but I always felt I needed more. Idk, just my random comment. I felt like I always needed more rear travel as well.

Imo,

SX Trail
TR250
VP-Free --- Personal Favorite Wink
SC Heckler (more lighter side)
Nomad
Canfield Bro's?

Maybe look at a high travel bike (8.5 inches), but single crown it in the front.

This whole situation screams a TR250 or VP-Free/Nomad or SX Trail.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 20:27 Quote
Im looking at the transition tr250 right now and everything looks great. I love the adjustability, so that i will be able to experiment with different setups and learn what i like best since ive only been riding a trek fuel so far. Are there any bikes that will be better for bigger riders? I am 6'7" and dont want to get another xl frame. It just doesnt feel right with a frame that long even at my heighth but im a little nervous going to a large frame. I rode a medium cannondale perp and couldnt pedal because my legs were in the handle bars and im not sure a large is going to be a big enough change. Also, how inhibiting are triple forks? I like the extra .5 inch of travel and they seem a little more geared to ride softer without having to worry about bottoming out, but at the same time if its too inhibiting in the slower tighter stuff im not sure its worth it.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 21:04 Quote
Holy crap. Dude, if you 6"7 ride a XL....

I ride an XL and I'm only 6"2....I do it for the extra wheelbase (biggie), comfort, handling, etc etc. Extra increase of weight is negligible. All my past XL have rode 10x better than my super crunched up rides. They say it is more nimble to go down a smaller size, but the extra wheelbase is just so nice and keeps the bike stable no matter how fast you go. Not to mention, agility is something one can work up too. At first XL frames felt a little "big" but after a long time in them you can pop them just like any other bike.

But really, stick with an XL. Don't buy into the whole you need a small size bike.

Also, dual crown forks? They inhibit only VERY tight cornering, like switchbacks. When I first transitioned over to Dual crowns the turning radius was a little annoying. But got use to it very quick.

I think if you want mini-DH stick with long travel single crowns. If you want to go DH go dual-crowns. No point in making a mini-DH with a dual crown and tie yourself up in weight and turning radius + geometry.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 21:11 Quote
i road a large tr450 today that was set-up for a 6'5" rider i,m 5'10"ish and the bike fit me well , he did state he has ridden smaller bikes then this as a personal preference

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 21:28 Quote
^ Yeah, idk why so many people feel like they need to get their bikes all the way down till they barely clear the handlebars lol. I understand most of the time you are in attack position especially in DH, but then the Toptube is just too short and you have no substantial handling as your body would be just disportionate and the center of gravity laterally wise is just off. Much more likely to go over bars or technically "flip" the bike backwards as your weight is just too far back...anyways enough of rant. I know it's your preference but you are 6"7. Especially you said you atleast want to pedal somewhat and you'll have to be comfortable in the cockpit. Large vs. Medium is often only 1"-1.5" TT length. So if you're hitting your knees @ Medium, you probably will hit them a little in Large. Maybe you'll clear by a little depending on the geo.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 21:28 Quote
Thanks for the help guys! Keep it comin

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 21:53 Quote
Also, T250 is a very very sick bike. Just get nice beefy 180mm forks up front and a nice coil in the back...*drool*.

Or you could go to T450 route and just rock it with single crowns. You can't go wrong with either one!

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 22:21 Quote
Another plus one for the TR250. Just make sure your fork is coil sprung as well. If you have coil in the rear, and air up front, it wont feel quite right. The difference in how they ramp up is noticeable. The Fox Van 180 or a Totem are perfect.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020426
Mobile Version of Website