Rear axle explanation,please

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rear axle explanation,please
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 4:18 Quote
Apologies for the ignorance,but I can't seem to get my head around the rear axle business,i.e. 9mm or 12mm or 10mm,is there a separate dropout for the differing axle sizes? I'm presuming you'd need a different hub on the rear wheel?
Basically if I'm running a standard 9mm quick release and wanted to change to a larger one,would I need to change the drop outs and if the dropouts are not removable,I guess it'd mean a new rear triangle??
I'm hoping this doesn't sound too ignorant,but any info would be fantastic.
Explain as if talking to f**kwit!!
No funny comments please!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 4:32 Quote
with either a new hub with a 10mm through axle, bolted up will fit a standard drop out. Your current axle with a 9mm QR, if measured the axle is about 9.8mm (3/8"). But when your talk'n 12mm axle your talk'n bigger harder hit'n frames and have a fit for purpose dropouts. If I recall like the santa cruz super 8, when released the frame came with a hub.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 6:11 Quote
so basically,with the 12mm it is frame specific,as in you can't set up a frame to take it,that isn't designed for it.Is that right?

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 15:06 Quote
As far as I'm aware, unless you have removable/replaceable dropouts on drive and nondrive sides.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 15:53 Quote
thanx for the help,mtec,much appreciated

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015249
Mobile Version of Website