does anybody else know the truth about global warming

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
does anybody else know the truth about global warming
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 at 19:30 Quote
Actually, We are reasonsible for the EXCESS of greenhouse gasses, there has always been greenhouse gasses but we've tipped the scales. Did you know landfills are the worst contributers of Methane?

Posted: Jun 19, 2010 at 3:21 Quote
@Spydr05: There were Ice caps at the start of the Paleocene but they melted very quickly during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal maximum. I also take it you ignored the 800 year lag of CO2 in comparison tto temperature: the Medieval Warm period was around 800 years ago. If you look at the first graph I posted on the previous page you can see a blue line at the bottom: that's CO" and if you look at it, the majority of the increase in atmospheric CO2 levels occured between 1600 and 1800: about 800 years after the Medieval warm period started. The Medieval Warm period lasted between about 800ADa and 1150AD and pretty much all of the CO2 increase happens between 1600 and 1950, 800 years later, and then essentially stops.

@AMBiker: You have shot yourself down: you argue that C02 from decaying plant matter is irrelevant but that CO2 from fossil fuels isn't. The CO2 from fossil fuels must have come from somewhere, that somewhere is the atmosphere.

Also, find me a scientific study done by scientists, not eco-pressure groups, that can positively attribute the increase in greenhouse gases to climate change and part or all of climate change to human activity. I suspect you may be a while becaue no scientific study to date has been able to do so.

Posted: Jun 19, 2010 at 18:53 Quote
There is no factual evidence that the Medival warming period was hotter than today and the records are based solely on readings from China and south america.Unlike Global Warming theory, the MWP cannot be a reliable source of argument because of the lack of global readings.

I also found that the MWP between 950-1000AD peaked at 0.1-0.2C BELOW the temperature taken in 1961-1990. In 1200AD the temperature dropped again and did not peak again until 1850.

The graph I looked at only goes up to 2004 but it has continued to rise quite steadily.

I'll give you points for citing the similarities between these eras as it is one of the most conflicting debates in science.

Regarding your solar flare statement though, one scientic study was conducted by Mike Lockwood (a geology/meteorologist). He stated that the Earth's temp has risen since 1975 but the solar irradiance has been lower therefore, the heat is coming from another source. The Sun has been slowly cooling since 1960 but global temps are rising. I believe the IPCC also had reports supporting this as well as NASA Goddard Institute for Space.

And you never answered my question about the trees? Where is your evidence that there are more trees today?

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 4:18 Quote
With regard to trees, in 1997 the WWF cited a report stating that 2/3s of the world's forests were permenantly destroyed, but ,when later questioned about it, quietly admitted that there was no report, the number was made up and that actually there is more ground covered by forests now than 50 years ago. Unfortunately it is long enough ago that I cannot find any news articles online about it for you, take it as you please.

There is factual evidence that the MWP was warmer today in ice cores, the most accurate known way of calculating past temperatures. The only graph that doesn't ackknowledge its existence is the hockey stick graph which was produced using tree ring proxies, which only show data about micro-climates and weather during the growing season. Many accurate proxies around the world confirm the existnce and magnitude of both the MWP and little ice age, that drop in temperature you commented on between around 1200AD and 1850, and I find it difficult to trust a graph which ignores the existence of known climate events and is drawn from data taken from a wildly inaccurate proxy over numerous graphs from accurate proxies from all over the globe. Here is a critique of the hockey stick graph. The MWP and LIA existed and correlate strongly to changes in solar irradiance, see the graph on the previous page. By the way your figure of 0.1-0.2C below today's temperature is clearly wrong, the graph on the previous page puts it at about 0.1C above 1998's temperature: the year the El Nino current caused a massive spike in global temperature, I'm guessing you simply ignored that, and at present rates of global cooling it is about 0.3-0.4C higher than it is today. By the way I am talking about overall solar irradiance, not individual aspects like sunspots or solar flares, overall solar irradiance has been increasing for most the last century and can be confirmed worldwide (see link above) and from outer space. If climate change really is our fault, why are Mars, Jupiter, Pluto and Triton all warming up at a rate that matches Earth's warming trend and with a strong correlation to the increase in solar irradiance?

If you wish your arguements to be taken seriously I strongly recommend you do not use IPCC reports and data: the vast majority of it comes from environmental pressure groups or is cherry picked and ignores huge quantities of conflicting evidence, makes unsubstantiated claims, lies, assumptions, false evidence, manipulated data, makes use of circualr reasoning for possibly the most fundamental part of the AGW theory and ignores the fact that to date no scientific study has been able to find a scrap of evidence for anthropogenic climate change. To quote Chris Landsea's letter of resignation 'I personally cannot in good faith continue to contribute to a process that I view as both being motivated by pre-conceived agendas and being scientifically unsound'.

Also, the Earth is no longer on a warming trend: in fact it is predicted that we face a 30 year cooling trend as solar irradince has been decreasing slightly since around 2000. Even the IPCC have been forced to concede that it is happening.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:35 Quote
God said the world will have an end. And I believe it. So maybe....

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:36 Quote
MountainBiker55 wrote:
It wont cause the 'end of the world' Just the potential end of life on earth...

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:39 Quote
robloveshiskona wrote:
MountainBiker55 wrote:

you don't believe the world will have an end?

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:39 Quote
Climate change couldn-t kill life on earth, no way. Not this kind of climate change anyway.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:42 Quote
You guys are picking the wrong part of the post to counter lol

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:44 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
You guys are picking the wrong part of the post to counter lol
yeah, u have a point.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:46 Quote
MountainBiker55 wrote:
robloveshiskona wrote:
MountainBiker55 wrote:

you don't believe the world will have an end?
Not in our life time, unless we get hit by some huge meteors or some other force strong enough to destroy this planet.
More likely is that this planet will become uninhabitable due to sever temperature increases or decreases.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 13:01 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Climate change couldn-t kill life on earth, no way. Not this kind of climate change anyway.

Yep. I don't even think that it would kill off humans, it's just that all our history and 90% of the population would be wiped out by rising sea levels.

Maybe we'd go back to the dark ages?

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
marty660 wrote:
harriieee wrote:

Yep. I don't even think that it would kill off humans, it's just that all our history and 90% of the population would be wiped out by rising sea levels.

Maybe we'd go back to the dark ages?
That's what will happen when the oil runs out Blank Stare

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 15:24 Quote
Humanity is doomed... We are without a doubt the dumbest creatures on this earth right now.

Prepare for a mass extinction. There isn't much room left on earth.

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 0:43 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Humanity is doomed... We are without a doubt the dumbest creatures on this earth right now.

Prepare for a mass extinction. There isn't much room left on earth.
Lots of room still, just food/water production/distribution wont be able to support our population, especially when oil runs out, We have changes as a species form K strategists to R strategists, now all we are are waiting for is the crash of our population when the resources run out. Blank Stare

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012863
Mobile Version of Website