Custom 40t Cassette Cog

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Custom 40t Cassette Cog
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 6:51 Quote
What do you have available?

I'm still wondering why you won't use aluminum? A small piece is not a lot of cash, and available loads of places.
Even some 6082T6 would do, which is as common as it gets. 2014T6 is another option.

You sound like you are at some college or uni, if so, ask around by the companies in the neighborhood. A sixpack will go a long way for a couple of small pieces.

Magura Smile

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 6:58 Quote
I just figured aluminum would be too soft, but like I said I don't know much about different materials. Haha you guessed it right! I go take a class at the local tech center but it's at the community college. I will see if we have any of that. I
Would outdo anything hater machining it? I know you can heat treat some aluminum or would it be fine after?

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 7:23 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
Would outdo anything hater machining it?

In English please Wink

ktm87 wrote:
I know you can heat treat some aluminum or would it be fine after?

Heat treating steel is rather complicated, and must be done after machining. The piece will typically warp during heat treatment, so it's not really all that attractive for projects like this one.
Aluminum comes heat treated. The XXXXT6 indicates a T6 heat treatment.
Once you got something that works, anodizing aluminum increases the wear resistance significantly, and I would suggest you look into doing so.

Magura Smile

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 7:26 Quote
Awesome thanks for the help! And a nice anodized black would also look sick! Razz I will see f we have any of that aluminum, if not I will look online or something

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 7:31 Quote
As I said above, go visit a couple of small machine workshops.....bring cake.
That way you can have pretty much anything anything, and for cheap.

Magura Smile

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 7:33 Quote
Haha I actually have some cake sitting in the kitchen right now!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 8:08 Quote
You said you were gonna use a old pg990 cassette and convert it to 10 speed, how exactly are you gonna do that?

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 8:53 Quote
By taking off the cogs, and machining the carrier to 10 speed spacing. Also the loose cogs need to be machined to the right thickness. The cogs from the carrier can be left the same thickness.

Magura Smile

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013438
Mobile Version of Website