What rate spring do you have on your Demo frame?/

PB Forum :: Downhill
What rate spring do you have on your Demo frame?/
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 5:13 Quote
What rate spring do you have on your demo 8 frame and what do you weigh? Im 205 and have the 450 lb spring that came with the bike. But i feel like i would want a stiffer spring. Any opinions?

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 6:00 Quote
You'd probably be a bit better with a 500 lb spring and a couple of turns of preload...

I'm around 220 and a 550 suits me fine.

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 13:23 Quote
what year is it? The spring rates have changed with the different models, but not by a lot. I have a 2010, im 230 and I run a 600# spring

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 13:47 Quote
mine is a brand new 2013. The fork says for my weight i should be running between 80-100 psi on the boxxer WC. When i have it set in the low 80s just riding around a little bit the rear end seems to be a lot more plush than the front end and i dont want to just crank the spring tighter if i should be running a 500 or 550.

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 17:35 Quote
I have a 2012 I'm 235-240 and run a 550 lb spring

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 5:33 Quote
Rubiconbmx wrote:
mine is a brand new 2013. The fork says for my weight i should be running between 80-100 psi on the boxxer WC. When i have it set in the low 80s just riding around a little bit the rear end seems to be a lot more plush than the front end and i dont want to just crank the spring tighter if i should be running a 500 or 550.

Dont ever go by the dreaded parking lot squish test! The only reason you would need to raise or lower your spring weight is due to sag. If you have to much sag sitting on the bike, go up on your spring weight and vice versa if you dont have enough sag. If the bike feels to "plush" while riding around the parking lot then chances are thats an issue of tuning your low speed compression, low speed compression controls the shocks reactivity to slow moving compression such as pedaling, landings, and the parking lot squish test. High speed compression controls the high speed movement of the shock. The only way to get your setup dialed in is to ride the bike repeatedly on the same trail. You can get your bike feeling AWESOME in the parking lot but as soon as you get it on the trail it will feel like poop. Adjust one thing at a time, if your shock takes air put the recommended PSI in there for your weight. Then adjust sag. Then I like to do a gross adjustment of rebound, then LSC, then HSC, then I fine tune my rebound. Make sure only to turn your adjusters a couple clicks at a time, ride, then adjust as neccessary. Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 5:44 Quote
Thanks, that does help. I understand the high and low speed compression to an extent, i had a totem on my last bike. Right now i am just looking for an impression of what people my size are riding, it seems like i might be ok and if i have issues maybe go up another 50 lbs. I just want to have all the information i will want to have come early may when i will only have 2 weekends to ride before racing starts.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 5:56 Quote
springs are cheap enough, buy one thats 50lbs heavier and just hold on to it. Once you get riding you can swap it out and not have to wait for it to get shipped.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 at 15:23 Quote
im about 250lb (114kg) and running a 500lb spring. Only bottomed out once or twice. Nice and plush. 2013 demo 8

Posted: Jan 25, 2013 at 18:27 Quote
2012 demo. using a 350lbs spring with a ccdb shock.
160lbs.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016650
Mobile Version of Website