Powered by Outside

Tight Steering - Help!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tight Steering - Help!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 10:59 Quote
Hey there, I have a question on how to fix my tight steering.

Well, about a year ago, I replaced my fork, (2005 Dirt Jam Comp) with a 2006 Manitou Gold Label 2 (90mm axel). Everything went well, and the fork was replaced. I noticed the steering was fairly tight. ( I can still ride it fine.) I thought it needed to be broken in or something, so I left it alone.

This makes it hard for bar spins, because the spin will go somewhat slower. When I try to ride no hands, I cannot steer the bike with my balance. ( if you know what I mean?) The fork just keeps on going in the direction I had it in before my hands off.

I've loosened and tightened my top cap, with no difference.. My old fork's steerer tube was pretty greased up. If i greased up my steerer tube, would that help?

I'll probably take it to my lbs, but if a can save the trip, I will.

Thanks in advance, Tyler

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:01 Quote
you have to loosen the stem as well in order for the pressure from the top cap to be released from the headset.

try greasing your headset bearings while your at it.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:02 Quote
Your heaset bearings maybe toast. Your steer tube rotates on the heaset bearings so the tube shouldn't need to be greased.

Edit: ctd beat me to it.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:07 Quote
when you ride with no hands does your bike go to one side in a certain derection

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:10 Quote
The problem is you tightened your headset too tight and ignored the problem. Now your headset bearings are toast and you need new ones. It's VERY easy to get your headset setup right and it's an essential skill. Learn how to do it before you destroy another headset.

FL
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:13 Quote
Same as above it can only be a tight headset no need to grease the steerer tube at all.
Loosen the stem and top cap until the fork is rocking inside the steerer tube.
Rock the bike back and forth using the handle bars, while pressing the front brake. Tighten the top cap a small bit at a time, and repeat the step above until you feel no rocking from the fork.
Give the top cap one more little tighten to be sure quarter turn should be plenty. Tighten the stem and rock it back and forth to be sure everything is sound. Tightening the top cap is only to preload the bearings and not hold the whole assembly together, hope you haven't shagged the bearings already though.
No need to over tighten any bolts on your bike if you don't have a torque wrench which to be honest most people don't I always find two finger tight is enough. Another words place to fingers at the end of the allen key shaft and tighten job done.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:15 Quote
rockymountianflow wrote:
when you ride with no hands does your bike go to one side in a certain derection

Yes

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:15 Quote
socs wrote:
Same as above it can only be a tight headset no need to grease the steerer tube at all.
Rock the bike back and forth using the handle bars, while pressing the front brake. Tighten the top cap a small bit at a time, and repeat the step above until you feel no rocking from the fork.
Give the top cap one more little tighten to be sure quarter turn should be plenty. Tighten the stem and rock it back and forth to be sure everything is sound. Tightening the top cap is only to preload the bearings and not hold the whole assembly together, hope you haven't shagged the bearings already though.
No need to over tighten any bolts on your bike if you don't have a torque wrench which to be honest most people don't I always find to finger tight is enough. Another words place to fingers at the end of the allen key shaft and tighten job done.

I've tried : \ Thanks for the suggestion though!

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:17 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
The problem is you tightened your headset too tight and ignored the problem. Now your headset bearings are toast and you need new ones. It's VERY easy to get your headset setup right and it's an essential skill. Learn how to do it before you destroy another headset.

I really doubt I tightened the headset too tight, I always make sure i don't.. ( but i may have.) and for the other response.. I loosen the stem, then do the top cap..

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:19 Quote
minidoyle26 wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

I really doubt I tightened the headset too tight, I always make sure i don't.. ( but i may have.) and for the other response.. I loosen the stem, then do the top cap..

If your steering is tight then your headset is too tight. Rolleyes You said it's been like that all along. You overtightened it.

FL
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:19 Quote
minidoyle26 wrote:
socs wrote:
No need to over tighten any bolts on your bike if you don't have a torque wrench which to be honest most people don't I always find to finger tight is enough. Another words place to fingers at the end of the allen key shaft and tighten job done.

Did you take the bearings out and check if they move freely? If not new ones.
Are you sure everything is in the right place, bearings are the right way up etc?
I know these are simple things but its always worth a look just in case you overlooked something.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:22 Quote
socs wrote:
minidoyle26 wrote:
socs wrote:

Did you take the bearings out and check if they move freely? If not new ones.
Are you sure everything is in the right place, bearings are the right way up etc?
I know these are simple things but its always worth a look just in case you overlooked something.

Alright, I'll check that, I bet I did over look something.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:23 Quote
What you do is tighten the stem pinch bolts ONLY enough so they stem doesn't wobble loosely.

Then you tighten the top cap down ONLY enough so that when you hold your front brake, and move the bike back and forth that it isn't loose.

Make sure you can differentiate between the fork play and the headset play, or you fail at life.

Once you have found the proper torque for the top cap, straighten your bars out nicely and torque the pinch bolts on the stem.

I've been building bikes since I was 7, I even made a freecoaster out of a drum brake hub way back then... If I could do stuff like that when I was 7, you should be able to do it.

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:27 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
What you do is tighten the stem pinch bolts ONLY enough so they stem doesn't wobble loosely.

Then you tighten the top cap down ONLY enough so that when you hold your front brake, and move the bike back and forth that it isn't loose.

Make sure you can differentiate between the fork play and the headset play, or you fail at life.

Once you have found the proper torque for the top cap, straighten your bars out nicely and torque the pinch bolts on the stem.

I've been building bikes since I was 7, I even made a freecoaster out of a drum brake hub way back then... If I could do stuff like that when I was 7, you should be able to do it.

I don't have a front brake, but, maybe i tightened the stem pinch bolts too tight.. The top cap is fine though..

Posted: Dec 30, 2007 at 11:29 Quote
Use a wall then. Hold the headset while pushing the bike straight on into the wall, push lightly, let go so there is no force going into the wall, if it's too loose you will feel it move.

You need to use logic, if you tighten the stem pinch bolts too tight... it in no way will affect your headset.

The top cap is what affects how tight your steering is.

Maybe you should take it to a bike shop.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009396
Mobile Version of Website