DT swiss FR600 rims? SR Inferno 31? any experience with them?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DT swiss FR600 rims? SR Inferno 31? any experience with them?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2013 at 1:08 Quote
Hi all,
I am building new heavy duty wheels and trying them as light as possible. I am obviously looking at the ever faithful Mavic ex721 but I have been trying to find reviews and people experiences with the DTswiss fr600 and the sun ringle inferno 31, which I am considering as candidates.
I know the DT swiss rims have been plaged with very bad reviews regarding their "dent magnet" characteristic but it seems by the descriptions that this rim has a new alloy and should be harder.
I have not been able to find reviews about the inferno 31, but they are very, very, light and look good in theory. I have had MTX and they were excellent (but heavy)

Please, any experience to share with any of thes rims?

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 6:19 Quote
Leave sun rims alone, their new alloys are lighter but much softer than the old mtx's.
Saying that mavic 721 are so tall that the suffer too?
DTswiss are over priced, Surely Stans flow ex is the obvious choice? Light, low profile, tubeless compatible, wide profile, make sure you get black as the white paint isn't very tough.

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 10:30 Quote
Yeah, I have had a look at stans, but I cannot find them in 36h (only for 29r). I am building them in 36 3x. 4 more spokes are very little more weight but a lot more strenght. I just bought new 36 h hubs...

The DT FR600 are about same price than the stans.

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 10:48 Quote
i built up a pair of mtx 33 and havent had issues with them so far

Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 12:16 Quote
Agree. I have a wheelset with MTX 33 on 36h on the DJ bike and they have stood for about 5 years with no problems. I am looking for a lighter rim now.
My options so far are DT FR600, Mavic Ex721 or Sun Ringle Inferno 31. I know well the 721, as I have it in a rear wheel with a 36h. I am getting new wheels for the fullsus and already got the hubs (dt fr440) They are a bit heavy, but the weight is in the center. Now I want a lighter thing in the outer.

I was interested in the DT and SR because they are both wider than the 721 and in the same(ish) weight but have no reference as to how they compare to 721 in strength.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 0:26 Quote
Only reason I stated the above was from personal experience, I had a 721 last 1 week and mtx33's last 2 weeks in Whistler when I lived there. In the end I had to go for ex823's.
All the other rims I tried just ended up with the sidewalls dented to the point that a tyre wouldn't mount properly. I suggest choosing the rim with the shortest sidewall possible to minimize this. Old rims like the 721 are just to deep in the sidewall making them weak in this area.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 1:39 Quote
nakeddave, that's a good point!
Ex823 are very heavy though, even if you run them tubeless. I looked at them but checked the weights and put me off. Any of the three rims I am looking at, running with tubes and a Muddy Mary FR (for instance) will be lighter than ex823 in whichever configuration.

So far, I have already the hubs and spokes that will suit any of the options as they have same spoke dimension (according to DT calculator). I got FR440 hubs, a bit heavy but the weight stays in the center, and Alpine III spokes, a shy heavier than Comp but lighter than straight ones and also shifting weight to the center (triple butted).
With the rims I am looking at, the whellset will stay between 2200 and 2300 gr; wouldn't like heavier than that!Smile

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 Quote
Fr600 has the best profile in my opinion of your listed rims, nice and wide with short bead hooks.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 7:32 Quote
Nakeddave, I do like them the most too but I have not had any experience with dt and I have read and heard lots of bad things about other models being too soft. Do you know if that is the case with the fr600 as well?

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 18:54 Quote
I have the FR600 rims and I have not had any dents yet, I'm not light either (250 or so).

Posted: Mar 3, 2013 at 22:15 Quote
The Athertons ran them with no obvious failures that I can remember from this season?

Posted: Mar 3, 2013 at 22:37 Quote
why inferno 31? inferno 27 is similar size to ex721 and saves a chunk of weight over 31

Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 7:03 Quote
Well, I was looking at the inferno 31 because I wanted a wider rim than ex721.
I have Ex721 in my old wheel set (the one being replaced) and they have been fantastic but, as said, I am looking for something wider; otherwise I would stick with the Ex...

I made my mind on the FR600 and just got them delivered. They are exactly 600 gr on my balance. The Ex721 are 575 on the same balance. I can live with this...

The new wheelset will be a bit heavier than my old one, mainly because I am replacing Hope hubs by DT FR440 but compensating a bit with the lighter spokes.

Let's see in few weeks how these rims are... there are lots of rock gardens and some flat landing nasty jumps around.

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 1:06 Quote
The Athertons' skills, level, smothness and budget are far, far, above mine!Big Grin
I guess though that they also ride far harder and more hours than I do... that should compensate for the life expectancy of a rimSmile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014556
Mobile Version of Website