10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 6:47 Quote
I had a 7 spd (modded from 9 spd cassette) set up working perfectly with a x7 hifter and zee derailleur with no shims. I upgraded to a saint shifter (9 spd) yesterday and now I can't get it to work. Is the spacing different from sram 9spd and shimano 9 spd cassettes or something? Do I need to shim the cable? any one else running this I would appreciate the input . . .

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 7:26 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
I had a 7 spd (modded from 9 spd cassette) set up working perfectly with a x7 hifter and zee derailleur with no shims. I upgraded to a saint shifter (9 spd) yesterday and now I can't get it to work. Is the spacing different from sram 9spd and shimano 9 spd cassettes or something? Do I need to shim the cable? any one else running this I would appreciate the input . . .

Yes you are correct, the pull ratio is different between Shimano and SRAM. Hence the reason why a SRAM 9 spd shifter works with a Shimano 10 speed derailleur. You will need to go back to SRAM in order for it to work.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 7:57 Quote
Can I just change the cassette spacing to get this to work?

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:19 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Can I just change the cassette spacing to get this to work?

You could try, but I imagine that will take a lot of work. We're talking mm differences (+/-) so I can't really see that being a viable option. Just to clarify, the differences in pull ratio is in the shifters. Shimano is something like 2:1 and SRAM is 1:1. So it's not quite as simple as swapping a cassette or trying to space things differently. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to go back to your X7 or upgrade to a 10 spd system. Well I guess upgrading to a X9 or X0 would work as well.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 12:21 Quote
Well I will try to tweek the spacing and see what I get but looks like I might be getting that 10 speed going. Sucks cause that saint looks real nice on there.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 3:06 Quote
Hi Guys check out my website MtbDiyShed.com (Chatroom for DIYers, Videos, Forum and more) Follow us on twitter.

The place to come to for DIY information and to share your advice.

Please leave your feedback/sugessiotns

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 3:52 Quote
Would be interesting to see if the new 11sp XTR mech is going to be 9/10sp compatible with a SRAM shifter Wink

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 0:33 Quote
Hi am assuming the same applies to 10speed xt too? Not sure if to get a 9 speed mech or SRAM shifter????

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 14:53 Quote
Decided to go with a SLX for my all mountain build. To be honest I had my doubts about all the reports of people getting this to work without any spacers, but I can successfully report that I paired it with a SRAM X9 shifter without any issues. No spacers were needed.

@craigyboi - I'm not entirely sure what your asking but to take a stab at your question that I think your asking, yes the mod will work with a XT derailleur. It is no different than a Zee or SLX in regards to pull ratio, so you are good.

Regarding the shifter I would go with a SRAM if you are planning on sticking with a 9 speed system. If you want to eventually move to a 10 speed than just save up and wait. I'd say this is more of a bandaid fix for all of us who don't want to dish out the cash for 10 speed.

FL
Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 17:20 Quote
Sucessfully just added a 10 speed ZEe derailler to my sram x9 shifter. With a little dialing in it works great for all 9 gears with no spacers needed

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 21:46 Quote
Another success. Sram x5 with a zee derailleur. Needed a .208" spacer
This thread was super helpful.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 23:37 Quote
the basic science means a shimano 10spd mech are extremely close to a sram 9spd mech. so thats the only straight swap component. if you have a sram 9spd x 5 7 9 0 shifter & 9 spd cassette already then you can bang on a saint or zee or any shimano 10spd clutch mech & away you go - straight swap & the ONLY 9spd clutch option i think?? at a later date you could upgrade to 10 spd system by buying a saint shifter or other shimano 10spd shifter & 10spd cassette.

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 23:40 Quote
Perhaps this is a silly question, but I can't see it mentioned anywhere... What chains are you guys running for this? Will a 9 speed chain not be too wide to sit within the cages of a 10 speed mech?

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2014 at 1:02 Quote
Mea03pj wrote:
Perhaps this is a silly question, but I can't see it mentioned anywhere... What chains are you guys running for this? Will a 9 speed chain not be too wide to sit within the cages of a 10 speed mech?

Normal 9 speed chain works just find and so does an 8 speed (I run 8 speed cassette, 8 speed sram x4 shifter with a 10 speed shimano zee 10speed deraileur with a small spacer).

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 17:53 Quote
From what I've seen any 9 or 10 speed will work; I run a 9 speed SRAM (PC-951) (they're cheaper and easier).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024352
Mobile Version of Website