A cheap full suspension bike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
A cheap full suspension bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 7:25 Quote
Okay, due to a recent injury, and numerous problems with my bike, I am looking toupgrade to a full suspension bike, for AM/trails/ and a little bit of DH. I do not know what to get, but will probably only have a budget for around 1000 dollers. Please help me figure out what kind of bike I should get. DO NO LIST STUFF IN HERE, that is what the buysell is for.

Thanks,

p2urban

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
P2urban wrote:
Okay, due to a recent injury, and numerous problems with my bike, I am looking toupgrade to a full suspension bike, for AM/trails/ and a little bit of DH. I do not know what to get, but will probably only have a budget for around 1000 dollers. Please help me figure out what kind of bike I should get. DO NO LIST STUFF IN HERE, that is what the buysell is for.

Thanks,

p2urban

at that price theres not really much you can get new. Inless its used/older model so your gonna have to go looking yourself.

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
nicholas13richard wrote:
P2urban wrote:

Thanks,

p2urban

at that price theres not really much you can get new. Inless its used/older model so your gonna have to go looking yourself.

I know, but I am just asking for suggestions, as long as the have at least a 4 outta 5 safty record, im good!

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
that and I need at leat 6 inches of travel

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
Hello.... anyone?

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:33 Quote
sorry mate but your not going to get a decent full susser with 6 inch plus for less than 2000 dollars, even if you go secondhand youll need at least 1500 for a decent piece of kit.

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:33 Quote
Go for a hardtail. Pretty much any full suss bike that you intend to do everything on is a huge compromise. That is, unless you can fork out megabucks and get a nomad, or a 6.6, or something like that.

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Go for a hardtail. Pretty much any full suss bike that you intend to do everything on is a huge compromise. That is, unless you can fork out megabucks and get a nomad, or a 6.6, or something like that.

I have a hardtail.... dont really like it anymore

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
P2urban wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I have a hardtail.... dont really like it anymore

Well, a full suss bike for 1000 is gunna be pretty crappy for all round use.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
last years big hit 1 was like 1500...but if i were you i would save up a lot more

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
yeah, as mentioned above, theirs nothing that you can really get for $1000. the only full suspension bike you might be able to get for $1000 is a cross-country bike. but then you also said it needed 6+ inches of travel. my best advice would to just be to save up. its winter now so theirs not alot of riding going on, maybe shovel driveways or get a job for a bit and you will be suprized at how much your money will grow.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
Muttley wrote:
sorry mate but your not going to get a decent full susser with 6 inch plus for less than 2000 dollars, even if you go secondhand youll need at least 1500 for a decent piece of kit.

I'm going to disagree with that, but in a restricted sense. The definition of the word "decent" needs to be relative to the rider. A bike that would be "decent" for an entry level rider might not be considered decent by an advanced rider. So, it can be said that a person can find a "decent" entry level full suspension bike, used, for around $1000. No, you won't get anything new for that price, but if you know specifically what you're looking for, and if you're patient and look hard, and negotiate seriously with the seller, then there's always great deals to be had on used gear. For example, last year I bought a 2006 Faith 2, which retailed around $3000, and which had been ridden less than 10 times, for $1600, almost half the price of brand new, and as anyone who knows anything will tell you, the Faith is a very good bike. This year I bought a 2007 888 ATA, retail around $1300, for $700. You just got to know what you're looking for, and how to haggle with the seller.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
go buy a frame and use your HT parts on it.

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 12:09 Quote
knobzy wrote:
go buy a frame and use your HT parts on it.

a frame can easily cost $1000+, even the used ones on here are around $800 used. and with $200 left over, good luck getting parts for it, you might be able to get supercycle parts for that much.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010147
Mobile Version of Website