PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
Kickmehard wrote:
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

Anyone here running Works Componenets angleset? I remember some Strive owners from this thread tried and loved it.

I'm tempted to try one on my 2018 Large Strive CF, but I was wondering how will affect reach? How much will it shorten it? 5mm or more?

I tried some bike geo calculators, but they tell me it will lengthen reach by 3mm, which doesn't make sense to me.

So anyone here got some first hand experience?

Funny thing, I used to run one on my Nerve some years ago, and loved it, but can't remeber shit now how reach felt... f*ck you mr. Alzheimer...

@krag
You can ride both, but if you want to go large check your inseam, because of that stupid long seat tube.

I have 4 different bikes with works components headsets, 2 of which are strives (wife's) they are easily the best upgrade I could recommend.

I was thinking to buy a 1 degree works components for my spectral, in addition (or not) of the shock offset bushings.
Is the installation the same as a normal headset or doesit need surgical precision like with the canecreek angle set ?

Nah, mate. Pretty simple exercise. You just have to make sure to align the cups correctly. The taper in the cups is pretty hard to detect by eye, but if you have it wrong the steer tube wont line up with the top race. Be sure to get the correct headset length too.

The cups are marked to help with alignment, and if you get into trouble, the lads at Works Components are great to deal with. I think the longest I had to wait for a reply from them via email was 10-hours, which is not bad when I'm in NZ and they're in UK.

The instructions were a little vague, but you get there!

Be sure to use their crown race on the fork too. The one from Canyon looks pretty similar, but it seems to bind up with the Works gear. All parts that you need are in the box from Works, from crown race to top cap.

Not sure if you'd need the offset bearings though - 1 degree will end up about 1.5 deg once installed as the lower race gets lowered, lifting the head tube up...unless you were to use the offsets the opposite way to overcome that.

I used a headset press as well - just found a cheap version online and used that - $40ish for pretty much a one off job...though I suppose one day I'll use it again....

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 2:44 Quote
Thank you for your replies guys.

I think I'll try it, if anything, just to try something different.

I had zero issues with angleset on Nerve, but LBS installed it, so I have no idea how complicated it is. Works components support is beyond shit, zero response to emails.
I remember that bike was much more stable at speed, or in any other situation, can't remember anything about negative sides. But then again, Nerve had really conservative HA - 68.5 Big Grin

I'm looking to improve a bit my riding on very steep parts, this angleset should help a bit.

@yeti-monster
what do you mean by very nervous in slow speed? when climbing or in general? I think Strive with angleset should be more stable in every situation, regardless of speed. Well, except tight switchbacks, but I suck at those, so no problem for me Big Grin

I'm more then happy for the small BB raise, Strive has super low BB and I hate pedal strikes.

My only concern is that bike will feel significantly "smaller", but it seems that you guys don't feel that, so I think I'll give it a go.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
Zlikovski wrote:
Thank you for your replies guys.

I think I'll try it, if anything, just to try something different.

I had zero issues with angleset on Nerve, but LBS installed it, so I have no idea how complicated it is. Works components support is beyond shit, zero response to emails.
I remember that bike was much more stable at speed, or in any other situation, can't remember anything about negative sides. But then again, Nerve had really conservative HA - 68.5 Big Grin

I'm looking to improve a bit my riding on very steep parts, this angleset should help a bit.

@yeti-monster
what do you mean by very nervous in slow speed? when climbing or in general? I think Strive with angleset should be more stable in every situation, regardless of speed. Well, except tight switchbacks, but I suck at those, so no problem for me Big Grin

I'm more then happy for the small BB raise, Strive has super low BB and I hate pedal strikes.

My only concern is that bike will feel significantly "smaller", but it seems that you guys don't feel that, so I think I'll give it a go.
Nervous as in it doesn't go exactly where you want it to. The steering flops a little and isnt precise. Both flat and uphill. I should point out I have my fox 36s at 180mm too.
However a different beast at speed, I wouldn't swap it for racing and bike park stuff. I think the original setup is good enough for trail riding,.

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
Hello
I have one question. I want to put 30mm rims in to my Canyon strive, and maxxis DHT 2.5 WT tires.
Did anyone try 30mm rims and wide tires on Strive ?
Did it fit well??
meaby some pictures or smt.

Ty

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
I run 30mm Spank rims with Maxxis 2.5 front. I only run 2.3 rear though as clearance is tight. Have run 2.4 Maxxis and this left marks on the seat stay.

zienio wrote:
Hello
I have one question. I want to put 30mm rims in to my Canyon strive, and maxxis DHT 2.5 WT tires.
Did anyone try 30mm rims and wide tires on Strive ?
Did it fit well??
meaby some pictures or smt.

Ty

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
Help! Not sure my Strive is safe to ride anymore so wanted to know what the canyon collective thought.

The cables have rubbed a fair old groove in the stays at the back and I'm also worried about the head tube as you can see the outline of the metal insert for the cable guides and when I looked inside the headtube, you can see all the carbon looks splintered.

What you guys reckon?

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 4:57 Quote
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

Anyone here running Works Componenets angleset? I remember some Strive owners from this thread tried and loved it.

Love it, 64.5 degrees here in DH mode. 1 degree angle set gets you that.

Changed the way I ride descents. Now I put much more weight on the front wheel. Cornering is more stable, feel like I can distribute weight better. More forgiving on steep descents but still fun and manoeuvrable as before. Riding uphill is a bit worse, on steep climbing front wonders. But not that much.

And there was some issues with angle set in the begining; cracking noises and bottom bearing kept falling out of position. But sorted that.

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
Hey, Im looking at picking up a used 2018 strive cf 9.0. My biggest concern is buying a used carbon bike. Are these strives experiencing alot of failures? Also, what are the chances that canyon has a stock pile of 2018 and older frames for warranty purposes? Thanks!

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
AWDxTY wrote:
Hey, Im looking at picking up a used 2018 strive cf 9.0. My biggest concern is buying a used carbon bike. Are these strives experiencing alot of failures? Also, what are the chances that canyon has a stock pile of 2018 and older frames for warranty purposes? Thanks!

Theres some discounted ones from the factory outlet here which come with full warranty:
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/factory-outlet/category.html#category=mtb-bikes

I got my Torque off here which was pretty much new condition

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
AWDxTY wrote:

Theres some discounted ones from the factory outlet here which come with full warranty:

Well, if I was in Australia that would be the ticket. Thanks for the reply.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 17:50 Quote
AWDxTY wrote:
tkdbboy wrote:
AWDxTY wrote:

Oh damn, I thought they were available for any country. When I go to Canyon Germany , it shows the same inventory as Australia.
Looks like Canyon USA has a different factory outlet warehouse

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
AWDxTY wrote:
tkdbboy wrote:

Oh damn, I thought they were available for any country. When I go to Canyon Germany , it shows the same inventory as Australia.
Looks like Canyon USA has a different factory outlet warehouse

Canyon USA does have a large CF 9.0 in stock. A little more than I was ready to spend right now. I could in a month or so, but who knows if theyll still have any. Tough choice for sure.

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 22:05 Quote
jimbojrt wrote:
Help! Not sure my Strive is safe to ride anymore so wanted to know what the canyon collective thought.

The cables have rubbed a fair old groove in the stays at the back and I'm also worried about the head tube as you can see the outline of the metal insert for the cable guides and when I looked inside the headtube, you can see all the carbon looks splintered.

What you guys reckon?

photo

photo

photo

Last time I (2016 strive CF) had same issue with you, regarding those head tube, Canyon feedback as below.

"With an impact we do not mean an big accident in general. The Insert is made of alloy and part of the frame . The coronal optic looks like that one or all cable where bend to the max and as result the paint on top cracked . From the technical side all function should work. Based on the details you have provided us this is not a warranty case ." Madder

IMO this is should fall into warranty as factory defect but they said otherwise Confused . Now I have sold my 2016 strive. Maybe they have fix it on 2019 frame, new strive looks better

photo
photo

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
So the AL frame is about 600 gram heavier than the CF, where does the extra 1.3 kg come from? From what I can tell, even the wheels on the AL are lighter?

Other differences are Guide R vs Guide RE and the cranks. I'm a bit confused.

Torque spec

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
cygwin wrote:
jimbojrt wrote:

What you guys reckon?

Last time I (2016 strive CF) had same issue with you, regarding those head tube, Canyon feedback as below.

"With an impact we do not mean an big accident in general. The Insert is made of alloy and part of the frame . The coronal optic looks like that one or all cable where bend to the max and as result the paint on top cracked . From the technical side all function should work. Based on the details you have provided us this is not a warranty case ." Madder

IMO this is should fall into warranty as factory defect but they said otherwise Confused . Now I have sold my 2016 strive. Maybe they have fix it on 2019 frame, new strive looks better

Good to know someone else had the same problem. Thanks for replying. Time to sell I reckon.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019920
Mobile Version of Website