Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact captainbringdown directly

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact captainbringdown directly
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2013 at 15:28 Quote
So, due to silly issues on the first thread, I have decided to make a new thread. The old one is locked (not deleted)

If you post ANYTHING not scam related i.e mod issues, site suggestions etc. You will be removed.

This is for scams ONLY.

**NOTE: Don't post in here until the maximum of 5 days has passed since payment (with Paypal Goods) Give your seller time as they could be busy etc. Unless you have good reason to think they're a scammer.**

Regards.

Kinny-PB.

------------------------------

NOTE: DO NOT post personal details, or your post shall be deleted.

This is the thread for reporting scammers. As the title says, please provide the following when you make a report:

-Username link -> Example: http://*username-of-person*.pinkbike.com or http://*username-of-person*.pinkbike.com

Link to their advertisement(s) (if applicable or available) -> Example: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/12345678910/

Reason for reporting them -> Example: *Username-of-person* scammed me, I paid for an item which he/she did not send and is now ignoring my private messages.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Tips:

-If you can't find a users BuySell listings, simply type /buysell on the end of their profile URL. For example:

http://user1.pinkbike.com/buysell

----------------

- If you're going to make a Paypal claim (Only if you paid via Paypal Purchase/Goods) screendump/screenshot their ad and do the same with private messages, as this will help prove your case with Paypal.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

What can I do if I've been scammed?

If you think you may have been a victim of fraud there are some simple steps you can take straight away to sort the problem out.

** Remember to report scammers to me or others moderators.**

The following are answers for different scams:.

[Note: The police must and can be involved in any scam report, but they do not always convict the scammer of fraud when it's a certain amount]

Payment Methods

-Paypal-

Personal - The buyer can no longer dispute the payment if the goods are never sent, because in Paypals eyes no goods were part of the transaction.

Purchase - Paypal cover you fully and will give you 45 days to make a claim against the seller. If a seller says to send to their spouse/girlfriends/friends account because of an issue or provides alternate paypal accounts report immediately.

----------------

-Bank Transfer-

You cannot get your money back. The only way of attempting to, is to call the police and report the act of fraud. It can be taken to court, but depending on the money involved/where you live, will vary in what is done.

-Credit Card or Debit Card-

You should be covered for online card fraud as long as any mischief that befalls you is not due to your personal negligence. Under Payment Services Regulations, and the Consumer Credit Act you will not be liable for losses resulting from internet fraud relating to a debit or credit card unless you have acted fraudulently or negligently.

-Cheque/Check-

Again, like bank transfer, it's hard to get your money back. The exact amount will depend on how much the defendants are able to pay, how much the court orders for refunds, and how many people bought the product.

------------------

Other payment methods (COD,Direct Transfer,Western Union,instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram

In most case of these payment methods, your money cannot be recovered and it's very hard to get it back, but this all depends on the police and court.

----------------

Trades

What if I traded with another person, but didn't receive the item?

This all depends on the value of the item. If it was of very low value, there's not much likeliness that anything can be done, but if it's worth a valuable amount, then the police and courts will chase it up.

Read BuySell Safety & Tips for all info on scam prevention.

#BANS dv8cam, parkourla, sk8punkstermatt, bigvinnysd, nickv99, deeeight, titaniumtit #BANS

Posted: Jun 24, 2013 at 22:42 Quote
this is serious.....good job Psyclist

Mod
Posted: Jun 25, 2013 at 9:29 Quote
Subbed and monitoring.

Be warned, there is now zero tolerance.

Thank you in advance to Psyclist for the crazy hours he puts in and to all who help resolve buy/sell issues.

Posted: Jun 25, 2013 at 9:34 Quote
Thanks to both of you for the props Salute . Hopefully this one will stay clean from unwanted posts.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 4:22 Quote
Can you check out Jamie-Charlie. He seems to be using stolen pictures:
This one looks like it was originally webeskankin3's.
This one looks like it's a crop from a picture on some other sites, if you do an Image Search on Google you will see what I mean.
This one was obviously from Ride.io.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 4:25 Quote
peter413 wrote:
Can you check out Jamie-Charlie. He seems to be using stolen pictures:
This one looks like it was originally webeskankin3's.
This one looks like it's a crop from a picture on some other sites, if you do an Image Search on Google you will see what I mean.
This one was obviously from Ride.io.
i agree.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 5:14 Quote
I deleted his ads, and requested he uses real pictures.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 0:23 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1234256/

Not really a scammer as such but a bit misleading. He is stating that it will fit a Mondracker however Mondies don't have a 10.5" 121 shock.

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 9:19 Quote
Hi I have received a check for over 1000$ from this guy "fergusiom" it looks like he deleted his account. We have been talking via email.... who the hell sends a stranger a check for over 1000, anyway it might be a cashiers check scam. If anyone has any way of testing to see if it is I would be grateful. He wants me to break the check and give 75 to myself for a frame I am selling him and then wire the rest to some one else. Any suggestions?

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 10:07 Quote
He was a common scammer.

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 10:35 Quote
psyclist wrote:
He was a common scammer.

ohhh what would you recomend i do with the check?

thank you

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 11:12 Quote
Don't bank it, it's a scam, and you'll lose a substantial amount of money. See if your local police can do anything with it.

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 20:21 Quote
psyclist wrote:
Don't bank it, it's a scam, and you'll lose a substantial amount of money. See if your local police can do anything with it.

what do you mean, will he be able to get into my bank account or will it just bounce a few weeks latter after i would usually send him the bike?

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 22:19 Quote
It doesn't matter, it's fake/etc. The second someone says, "I'm sending you 1,000 for your '$10' item. You take '$xx.00' for your troubles and please send the rest to my ______, as I'm having financial problem/prince of Nigeria/being hunted by the gov/son of famous Zimmel-heifer scientist who just found an important discovery."

Whatever it is, they are hoping you send the item first or somehow send legit money before finding out the check doesn't work whether by bouncing or just being plain fake.

Obviously, you shouldn't send the item, dispose or document the false check or optionally report to police but really doubt anything will happen. Keep the records around just in case if anything happens.

If it looks to good to be true, 99% of the time, it is.

Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 22:22 Quote
c4mtb wrote:
what do you mean, will he be able to get into my bank account or will it just bounce a few weeks latter after i would usually send him the bike?

Buyer gets a certified cheque for $1000. Buyer immediately issues a stop payment. Buyer still has the physical cheque though. Buyer sends you the $1000 cheque, asks you to keep $75 and wire him the balance. You deposit the cheque, which your bank accepts (its certified after all). Your bank account shows $1000. You send a wire transfer $925 to the buyer. A couple days later your bank sends the cheque to its clearing house. A few days after that it is processed. Your bank discovers that a stop payment has been issued. The bank then reverses the $1000 transaction from your account. But because you send the buyer a wire transfer you have pretty much no recourse to get back the $925.

The bike/parts are probably irrelevant. The buyer (scammer) is just after a quick $925 wire transfer for easy cash.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011867
Mobile Version of Website