Trail Vandalism Advice!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Trail Vandalism Advice!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 5:59 Quote
Hello there,

Recently we have been having issues with someone ruining the trails we have been building and lately its gotten excessive (wire strung neck height across trails, jagged glass placed on landings) and we are trying to figure out how to approach this. Ill start with some background.

The land is owned by an older man who gave the original group of riders permission to build and ride on the land and he said he had no problem with us riding and building as long as it didn't become an issue. So, for the last 2 years or so we have done so. Hikers, bikers, dog walkers etc have begun to use our trail system and overall everyone is happy. A few individuals apparently forget who built the trails to begin with and have become disgruntled, making comments like "Its sacred ground", whatever that means. Anyhow, one of the riders saw an individual placing things like boulders, logs, etc on trails and in blind spots so we are fairly certain we know who is doing it. The tough part is we would like to resolve this issue without getting the owner involved (again, older man, probably will just get annoyed if he has to deal with it). However, something has to be done for the safety of not only the bikers but the dogs, the hikers the runners and everyone who uses these trails.

I was wondering if anyone else has any advice or experience in dealing with a situation like this.

Thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 at 16:13 Quote
Who the hell put's neck snag's on a trail is this person mentality insane...

People who do cowardly stupid stuff like that do it at night...

Posted: Jul 18, 2013 at 8:36 Quote
Dented wrote:
Who the hell put's neck snag's on a trail is this person mentality insane...

People who do cowardly stupid stuff like that do it at night...

I know, It was annoying when he was placing logs and rocks on the trail... Now that its escalated to things that can legitimately severely injure people, something needs to be done.

Posted: Jul 20, 2013 at 14:37 Quote
gopro time lapse every minute hiden up a tree, leave it and that should after a few time catch him

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 12:39 Quote
I would say confront the person doing it while in the act. people tend to get really freaked out when everybody knows that its them doing things like this especially if it could be potentially life threatening to people. if you have permission to use the land and this person is essentially trying to injure you or potentially kill you thats definitely illegal.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 17:26 Quote
So I found the person. Very mentally unstable. I caught part of our conversation on camera... I think cops will need to get involved.

http://youtu.be/W7FvuiKvUYA

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 18:05 Quote
So i watched the film and that guy is definitely not all there. i would strongly suggest involving the police and not riding without a partner just incase because you never know when people like that will become violent. hope you can solve the problem soon.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 18:21 Quote
pretty sure he's stoned...

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 19:26 Quote
Wire strung at neck height.. gets the cops involved in my mind. Best to have that on file!

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 6:38 Quote
I would definitely bring a baton or something with me if I were you. Or always be prepared to grab a large stick and smash that dude over the head, what a nut.

Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 9:03 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
I would definitely bring a baton or something with me if I were you. Or always be prepared to grab a large stick and smash that dude over the head, what a nut.

Some kids that ride alone have started carrying pepper spray

Posted: Aug 17, 2013 at 0:18 Quote
wtf is wrong with people.... I would have gone home and brought out my rifle and shot that mother f##er. "if you wana ride with the devil we can do that" go home you bum, your drunk.

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 15:06 Quote
That dude definitely has a form of schizophrenia, I've seen this before......

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 15:10 Quote
jackbr123 wrote:
pretty sure he's stoned...

lol i dont think there is one normal person on this planet who could smoke just weed and then act like that or even remotely close to that.. obviously the key is "normal person"... but weed alone doesn't cause much harm.. ask anyone who has smoked it more than a few times

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 20:45 Quote
That sucks that there is that type of thing happening around your trails. I defiantly would inform the cops and set up a trail camera (they are used for hunting and only cost around 100 to 200 usd) they are great for that type of thing

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012612
Mobile Version of Website