rear shock giant reign 2 2012

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
rear shock giant reign 2 2012
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 22:08 Quote
I have a 2012 Giant Reign 2 and the rear shock needs to be rebuilt. But I have noticed some good deals on better shocks online. I measured 8" from eye to eye but my question is can I put a shock in that is 8.5" or 8.75" eye to eye? I would think I could but I thought I should ask if it matters. I could see going an inch or more bigger but 1/2 inch should be ok? Yes? No?

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 11:55 Quote
chenko24 wrote:
I have a 2012 Giant Reign 2 and the rear shock needs to be rebuilt. But I have noticed some good deals on better shocks online. I measured 8" from eye to eye but my question is can I put a shock in that is 8.5" or 8.75" eye to eye? I would think I could but I thought I should ask if it matters. I could see going an inch or more bigger but 1/2 inch should be ok? Yes? No?

Thanks for your help.
No.
1/2 an inch i2i multiplied by ~3:1 ratio means a ~1.5" increase in extension at the wheel, which is a lot, and not a good idea. Since Maestro is a virtual-pivot design, the position of the wheel is important.
There are lots of shocks available in the correct size (7.875 x 2"?)

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 12:59 Quote
Ok guys and girls. I have the RP2 Boost valve w/xv sleeve 7.875 x 2.0 on my bike. I'm not liking the Propedal lately. It seemed to be much stiffer when it was new and worked great. This year it seems to have softened. Would a shock with a lock out be better? And what one do you suggest? I can't afford to spend $500 but somehting in the $200 to $400 should be ok to buy. I want to be able to lock or stiffen it up when riding flat and up hill. Also would a shock with a spring be ok on this bike? I don't hit up the mountains yet but I ride single track and do some jumping and a little down hill. I'm just wondering if the spring is over kill and not what I should go with. Thanks for any replies in advance. I'm fairly new to the full suspension riding btw. Only been on full suspension since last year. Loving it BTW.

Oh my stats : 5'10 220lbs if that makes a difference as to the shock I need.

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 13:29 Quote
chenko24 wrote:
Ok guys and girls. I have the RP2 Boost valve w/xv sleeve 7.875 x 2.0 on my bike. I'm not liking the Propedal lately. It seemed to be much stiffer when it was new and worked great. This year it seems to have softened. Would a shock with a lock out be better? And what one do you suggest? I can't afford to spend $500 but somehting in the $200 to $400 should be ok to buy. I want to be able to lock or stiffen it up when riding flat and up hill. Also would a shock with a spring be ok on this bike? I don't hit up the mountains yet but I ride single track and do some jumping and a little down hill. I'm just wondering if the spring is over kill and not what I should go with. Thanks for any replies in advance. I'm fairly new to the full suspension riding btw. Only been on full suspension since last year. Loving it BTW.

Oh my stats : 5'10 220lbs if that makes a difference as to the shock I need.
Problem with the reign seems to be its easy to blow through travel with a linear shock, the XV makes the RP2 too linear imo, I'd recommend a XV can shim mod to make the air spring more progressive, my reign X2 (similar j/longer travel 7.875x2.25 shock) came with a spring shock, it that needed a 600lb spring to cope with my 200lbs , I fitted a 550 as a test and the shock didn't cope to well (5hrs old burst its main seal) it also struggled to give good rebound control with the stiffer spring (maz rocco R/oem with TST IFP chamber) . I'm currently running an RP23 XV with the shim mod seems ok sofar running about 220psi.

Posted: Aug 29, 2013 at 9:30 Quote
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that. At the moment I'm riding the shock until the LBS gets back from a bike show/conference in Ontario early Sept. They are going to see if they can pick me up a better shock that will work for me. After that I'll either have a new better shock that will hopefully work well and then I'll send my old one in to be rebuilt. That way I'll have an extra for when one has an issue I can send it away and have a shock to use still. I'll discuss the XV with the shim mod to my LBS and see what they say.

Posted: Aug 29, 2013 at 10:35 Quote
PS the air can shim mod is very simple to do. I did mine without taking the shock out of the frame, details and discussions here http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-spot-rp23-mod-503070.html. Note Fox also do main air can spacers that do similar (make the air spring rate ramp up) but the shim mod is free and can done in under 20mins.

Posted: Aug 30, 2013 at 11:28 Quote
The DHX Air air can issue seems counterintuitive to me - in my experience (with Float shocks not DHX) a larger volume air can made it feel closer to a coil shock, less squat and wallow than with the small air can.

Posted: Oct 11, 2013 at 12:27 Quote
Bought the Cane Creek DBAIR CS and road it the last two nights. Last night I was doing some adjusting and I think I'm getting close for the type of riding I'm doing right now. So far I love it and I think the climb assist is awsome. I would recommend this shock to anyone. Not only does it perform very well it looks bad ass! Evil I've heard comments that it takes a long time to get setup but I dont think so. I'm having fun playing with it and I can definately feel the change even with small turns on the dials.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011197
Mobile Version of Website