Short travel fork on a full out trials bike?

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Short travel fork on a full out trials bike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
I was just wondering why you dont see forks on trails bikes... I have a WoodMan frame, and im trying to decide to sell the frame, or build it up. Im not sure if I will put rigid, or a short travel suspention.

Can anyone tell me if its alright to run suspention?

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
Please dont sell your frame! trials is tons of fun and i just started

you mostly see people running suspension on bikes like ryan leeches for example

but i would run ridgid, its lighter and cheaper

but if running a bit if squish floats your boat, go for it IMO

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:22 Quote
street55dirt wrote:
Please dont sell your frame! trials is tons of fun and i just started

you mostly see people running suspension on bikes like ryan leeches for example

but i would run ridgid, its lighter and cheaper

but if running a bit if squish floats your boat, go for it IMO

Thanks for the reply, Leach rides a Street trials bike though, The Woodman is a full out trials bike (no seat)

Would it still be alright to ride suspention?

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:24 Quote
I say y not? Atleast if u screw up and flat landing ur wrists wont hurt AS much. But then again, i dont ride trails...

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
you don't have to ask for permission from us. if you feel you want to, go for it. its not like any of us are going to fly 200 miles and come beat you up and replace your forklol . I don't know anything about trail forks, but i'd imagine putting a sid on your bike might be good since its a 80mm (or 100mm if you want) fork thats super lightweight and made for XC.

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
photo

it would but it would turn out something like this

wich is IMO ugly

The woodman is a full out trials bike its likley designed for a ridgid fork, i would stick with the intention and the "tried and true"

just wondering, what makes you want to ride suspension?, i see you dob is ridgid

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
I actualy spoke to Ryan Leach once at a show and asked him why he uses a short travel shock. He said that the weight difference isn't that great to make a big enough deal. He also said that the litle bit of suspension that he has on his, has saved him many times when you need that little bit of room when you mess up. Once again, it all comes donw to personal preferance.

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
It's also easier on your wrists if you land hard on the front accidentally.

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 16:11 Quote
street55dirt wrote:
photo

just wondering, what makes you want to ride suspension?, i see you dob is ridgid

Im thinking about suspention becasue of the the forgivness. Iv ridden rigid on my Dob and every once in a while I wish I put my Lyric back on. Im thinking about putting my Lyric back on my Pinscher for the summer.

As for the Woodman, if I were to put a fork, I would get an XC RockShox or something along thoes lines.

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
i would go ridgid its not that bad, like when you drop stuff you always land back tire first then front tire

Id go ridgid but its your build Razz

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 18:07 Quote
i heard this from two trials god (trialsin Machine and Chronic-Poker) they told me that it transfers energy to the ground. On a rigid fork it keeps the energy thus making it easier to do huge moves.

i think thats it i might not have explained it rightWink

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
-FSA- wrote:
i heard this from two trials god (trialsin Machine and Chronic-Poker) they told me that it transfers energy to the ground. On a rigid fork it keeps the energy thus making it easier to do huge moves.

That makes sense.. Ill probably end up going rigid, to save some money, but it was interesting to see your answers. Thanks a lot for all your replies!

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
ive tried abit of trials and i cant ride with rigid forks

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 20:58 Quote
-philster- wrote:
-FSA- wrote:

That makes sense.. Ill probably end up going rigid, to save some money, but it was interesting to see your answers. Thanks a lot for all your replies!
no problem i hope i helped!

so i take it your choosing to build ip your woodman? cant wait! Big Grin

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021397
Mobile Version of Website