$8,000 Plus Mountain Bikes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
$8,000 Plus Mountain Bikes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 11:19 Quote
IMHO if you are personally spending more than a few (a few meaning more than $2,000) on a Mountain
Bike just to ride it one season and then turn-around to sell it your nothing more than a wasteful spendthrift.

I see these yuppies having spent $8,500 plus taxes on a bike and then there listing says Only Reasonable Offers - LOL!!! These are bikes that Sponsored Pro's should be riding, and they get them virtually free. If your selling this type of kit you should be expecting to take a HUGE bath.

Too many buying just for the looks and not enjoyment of the sport - YOUR THOUGHTS.

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 11:58 Quote
Frankly, I want more Richie Rich types that drop $8000 each year on a shiny new model bike from my LBS. Especially when those people never actually ride those bikes. They are lubricating R&D budgets for companies, attracting sponsorship dollars and helping foster a diverse product environment. And these people do all these things for the sport, while not actually cluttering the trails with more riders.

Not to mention, these $8000 bikes get back into the community at significantly discounted prices. There are ceilings for what you can sell a lightly used $8000 bike for, you probably won’t find any buyer willing to spend much more than $3000 on a used bike, so sooner or later the $8000 OBO drops and drops and drops in asking price.

I on the other hand have 3 bikes cobbled together almost exclusively of used parts. I do my own service. I try to help people I know learn to do their own service. I encourage people I know to buy used. I think Red Bull tastes like what I imagine sweetened horse urine might be like, and would never waste money on it.

How exactly are mountain bike manufacturers and local bike shops supposed to thrive financially on a rider like me?

Let Richie Rich do the heavy lifting with his fat wallet. I will enjoy riding the trails by myself when he is in his garage showing off his latest purchase to his Mercedes driving friends. And I will be more than happy to buy his nearly new carbon frame for a song and a dance a year from now.

Posted: Sep 24, 2013 at 0:06 Quote
cakerman I think you speak for many of us

Posted: Sep 24, 2013 at 0:10 Quote
groupguru wrote:
IMHO if you are personally spending more than a few (a few meaning more than $2,000) on a Mountain
Bike just to ride it one season and then turn-around to sell it your nothing more than a wasteful spendthrift.

I see these yuppies having spent $8,500 plus taxes on a bike and then there listing says Only Reasonable Offers - LOL!!! These are bikes that Sponsored Pro's should be riding, and they get them virtually free. If your selling this type of kit you should be expecting to take a HUGE bath.

Too many buying just for the looks and not enjoyment of the sport - YOUR THOUGHTS.

Speaking as a former shop employee. It isn't your average consumer who is buying these bikes and selling them usually its a shop employee selling their shop bikes. How it worked at my shop is you needed to sell the bike for a minimum of what the shop spent on it, (If you get ore that goes towards a better bike). Usually shop bikes need to be sold after a season.

Posted: Oct 3, 2013 at 13:29 Quote
A one year old bike in great condition will usually only fetch half price of original retail. Sadly bikes are not a good investment when purchased new. That helps explain all the "which bike should I buy threads. Could be a costly mistake! People with enough bank to buy a used 8 k wonder machine, will want to pay a little more and get themselves a new one.
That's why the 8k bike value plummets.

Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 11:52 Quote
I'm a wasteful spendthrift, and It feels good.

2014 Hyper green S Works Enduro

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 12:09 Quote
I would say its up to them how they spend thier money. It keeps shops in business, it gets great kit into the second hand market and it subsidises R&D for everyone else!

Not sure I would call it 'wasteful' if they buy it, ride it and sell it on for a season it's being used and it's still out there. Sat in a shed for 10 years would be a waste.

Ultimately it depends on the value judgement of someone else, if they get very little time for riding (hence need reliability) and get enjoyment from having top s

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 12:10 Quote
Doh, phones posted early! Final sentence is if they get enjoyment and can afford it, why not. Value is relative.

Just my 2c

Posted: Oct 10, 2013 at 10:30 Quote
I agree. If someone wants to blow 8k on a mountain bike so be it. I cant see much dif between a 4000.00 bike and 8? That would be my biggest question????? how do they get to that $?

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2013 at 10:37 Quote
another quality pinkbike thread! Let people spend what they want, buy within your means, and everyone is happy Smile

Posted: Oct 10, 2013 at 12:35 Quote
If I could blow 8 gs on a new bike I would. But a new car or street bike comes first. Need transportation before I get a new bike.

Posted: Oct 10, 2013 at 13:24 Quote
if i could, i probobly would. but like others are saying, i encourage the purchases! my bike would have cost around 8000 i imagine; but buying it used saved me a fortune so thanks to the original buyer!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011992
Mobile Version of Website