Help me finda bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Help me finda bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 6:34 Quote
Hi,

Im looking into getting a new bike.

A bit about me and my riding style...
-I am relatively new to mountain biking (not a newb, but still not a pro)
-I just sold my trek 4300 to my friend (I really liked it, but needed the money at the time)
-I ride mostly on the road 70%(transportation and just to mess around with friends, nothing serious) and trail ride 30%

I want to spend upto 700-800 or so. I kind of out grew the trek. It was completely stock, but I figured it would be better to buy a new bike than to buy that one.

I dont mind buying an older model from the LBS. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 8:48 Quote
i have an 08 kona shred that i bought for $650 and its an amazing bike real solid, and i havent had to do any major fixes. i would deffinitely suggest it.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
get a specialized p1 or p2

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
kona shred
kona stuff
p2cro-mo
these are great bikes for you.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 23:48 Quote
norcoID wrote:
kona shred
kona stuff
p2cro-mo
these are great bikes for you.

I have been thinking of....
norco bigfoot (a bit more than my budget)
Norco Wolverine
specialzed p2
kona shred
giant stp

But my question is, how good are they on the trails. I really ride on the street because I have to, but love to ride the trails.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 0:05 Quote
What I would do is hit up your lbs's and see what they have leftover in last years models.You might be able to get a killer deal on something, or at least get an idea of what's available.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 7:55 Quote
aniyn wrote:
What I would do is hit up your lbs's and see what they have leftover in last years models.You might be able to get a killer deal on something, or at least get an idea of what's available.

I have been looking up online for ppl in my area selling bikes and seems like ppl are dumping the bikes in the winter because they need money.

But how are DJ bikes on the trails? I want something comfortable on the trails...

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 20:58 Quote
4x4v8 wrote:
But how are DJ bikes on the trails? I want something comfortable on the trails...
Not as good. Because the seat is so low pedalling isn't nearly as comfortable.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 21:03 Quote
My freind is selling a norco bigfoot.. for like 500 bucks and its in good shape..

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 21:06 Quote
i got a 2006 norco bigfoot for sale for cheap..it is new condition, few upgrades, rides really well everywere...good for starters, only weights 35lbs, light for norco FR HT...i got pics in my albums, check it out

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 23:24 Quote
Awsome offers, but im in Ontario.

Also, I am relatively short so I dont think that pedaling will be too bad. I like to ride with my seat low anyways...Does anyone know of any other bike I should look out for

So far I think there is a consensus on...
STP 2
P2

How are these two bikes on the road? Will I be struggling behind my friends who are on the rockhoppers?

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 0:28 Quote
4x4v8 wrote:
STP 2
P2

How are these two bikes on the road? Will I be struggling behind my friends who are on the rockhoppers?
Yup. You'll be working your butt off and they'll just be crusing. If you're looking for a bike that can do xc and trails, a dirt jumper or street bike is not what you want. I occasionally ride with a friend who has a brodie hellion; he's a way better rider than I am, but he can't even come close to keeping up, even on downhill. I would suggest looking at the bikes of the people you ride with, and aiming for something similar. If they ride rockhoppers, look into a new rockhopper disc or a hardrock pro disc. A kona blast, norco wolverine, or RM Soul (not sure about the price) would also be decent choices.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 11:31 Quote
4x4v8 wrote:
Awsome offers, but im in Ontario.

Also, I am relatively short so I dont think that pedaling will be too bad. I like to ride with my seat low anyways...Does anyone know of any other bike I should look out for

So far I think there is a consensus on...
STP 2
P2

ha im in the exact same position as you, the p2 and stp2 are great choices, i ride an xc hardtail that has dirtjumping goemetry and i love it aside from the fact that its a hardtail.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 19:35 Quote
kona fire mountain or lavadome.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011728
Mobile Version of Website