Powered by Outside

Help tightening my chain?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help tightening my chain?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2013 at 16:47 Quote
Hi Pinkbike, I'm looking for a little help getting my chain nice and tight.

The bike is an Airborne Wingman (single speed dirt jump bike with horizontal dropouts). I've been using normal chain tugs like these but I haven't had much luck. They're super annoying to adjust and they strip the threading off of the nuts holding my rear wheel on (with the tugs there's very little axle showing so the nuts dont grip enough threading).

I'm looking for another solution. I bought a chain breaker thinking I could remove a link but the chain just barely doesn't reach when I try connecting it again.

How should I go about fixing this? Are there tensioners out there I could use? I've seen Blackspire Stingers on dirt jump bikes but they look kinda funny. I've seen a lot of these but I don't have derailleur hangers for it. What about a half link chain? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 9:08 Quote
Half link chain? Hub with slightly longer axle?

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 15:01 Quote
I'm trying to stay away from the tugs and I think a half link chain would do it. What chain would you recommend? I've heard a lot of them aren't great.

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 15:10 Quote
I ran a KHE minimalist half link chains on two bikes for at least a year each and don't remember busting either of them.
I ran tugs all the time though, they look a bit cack, but it's the least ghetto option. Hopefully the chain alone will sort it.

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 17:11 Quote
I could just add a half link to the chain I have now, right?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.104825
Mobile Version of Website