New to downhill biking need help with my bike..

PB Forum :: Downhill
New to downhill biking need help with my bike..
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 18:39 Quote
I'm new to downhill biking and I have a Scott gambler 20 with fox 40 fork my ? Is, how do u clean this bikes and forks what's the basic maintenance and is this a good starter bike.. Also I will be racing in 2 weeks is this bike good for racing...

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 20:42 Quote
Lots of ways to clean it
Personally I'm lazy and ride year round so bikes gets lots of water anyways it gets a pressure washer from a few feet away
This will ruin bearings substainally faster than other methods
Some use cleaners and rags some use a hose and rags some people just don't care and don't wash it.
I'd rather replace all pivots and bearings and wash my bike after every ride in 20 sec than take a ton of time cleaning it after every ride and do bearings and pivots every 18 months-2years. WD40 on the chain regularly and clean it really well then lube it up good.
A skipping chain and dirty bike just drive me crazy.
As far as is the bike good for DH - never ridden one so my opinion is irrelevant

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 20:47 Quote
Damnit hit enter before I was done

Maintaince: keep drivetrain clean and lubed. fork will need servicing regularly esp. When u start racing fOx 40s have one of the quickest servicing intervals as far as I know like 25 hrs of riding if I remember? Someone will correct me if I'm wrongif your handy u may want to learn how to do it yourself.

FL
Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 22:19 Quote
thats a good platform for a person new to dh, do you have full specs?

Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 22:21 Quote
SoKvlt wrote:
thats a good platform for a person new to dh, do you have full specs?
2010 Scott Gambler frame
2011 Fox 40 RC2 World Cup edition, recently rebuilt
Fox RC4 rear shock
Hope hubs front and rear, laced to Mavic 729 rims.
Chris King Headset
Avid Elixir CR with carbon levers,
Like new Kenda Nevegals, only have a day of riding on them.
Race face Altus Bars.
Straitline dh pedals
Sram X9 shifter and rear 9 speed...

FL
Posted: Nov 14, 2013 at 22:30 Quote
That's a really good starter rig, general maintenance on the bike should be cleaning the bike after each day, making sure all bolts on the bike are tightened correctly. Monthly (sooner if your harder on your fork) rebuild the fork and have the rear shocks inspected. Unless I feel something wrong, or see something on my daily inspection I don't bother with much other maintenance.

Posted: Nov 16, 2013 at 6:29 Quote
Set the suspension up and the bike will be amazing will last you a long time for a starter rig.

I Jose my bike down (don't use any pressure washers) don't directly spray any bearings or seals otherwise you can get water in them. I jus use the spray nozzle wipe it down with. Sponge/rag than I dry it off.

Relube the chain and everything that needs doing (keep away from brakes obviously)

Its a good idea to cover the brakes with something when relubbing just to make sure.

I like to spray a little telfon lubricant on the fork seals and then pump the forks it helps pull dirt out of the seals.

Keep the bike clean dry and lubed and it will last a long time.

As for forks general maintaince meant how to bleed brakes, change brake pads, adjust brakes, adjust gears.

Suspension servicing just get it down when recommended by manufacturer I think fox is a 30h interval or something you'll need to check

Posted: Nov 16, 2013 at 6:32 Quote
Oh and I have a separate rag for brakes so I acoid any potential lubricant or contamination of pads.

One last thing if you remove either wheel from the bike put a clean piece of cardboard or a brake block in the caliper.

This is a safety, if you press the brake with the wheel off the bike the pads will lock together. Having something inside will stop it just incase.

Posted: Nov 16, 2013 at 19:24 Quote
slidways wrote:
Oh and I have a separate rag for brakes so I acoid any potential lubricant or contamination of pads.

One last thing if you remove either wheel from the bike put a clean piece of cardboard or a brake block in the caliper.

This is a safety, if you press the brake with the wheel off the bike the pads will lock together. Having something inside will stop it just incase.
thanks bro your advice was really helpfull ... Can't wait too hit the trails tomorrow ...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012399
Mobile Version of Website