Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
SchmutzJT wrote:
With frame prices where they are I'm looking at buying a L (5'10" with 33-1/2" inseam) FOLLOWING and building it up myself, through discounts, rebates and everything else I've gotten it to a pretty reasonable price. I've never done a full build myself before so some help would be appreciated. This is what I've come up with does anyone see any issues, or something I've missed?

Frame: Evil Following - L
Fork: Rockshox RCT3 Pike debonair with boost - 140mm 51mm offset
(I know this isn't standard sizing but after looking into it it seems a lot of people like it)
Wheels: Stan's Flow S1 15x110 front, 12x142 rear, with stan's valve stems
Tires: Maxxis DHF 29x2.5 front, Ardent 29x2.4 rear
Brakes: Shimano XT BL-M8000 front and rear with XT SM-RT86 180mm rotors
Handlebar: Deity Dirty 30
Stem: Deity copperhead 35mm (going smaller as I'm getting a larger frame)
Seatpost: Rockskox Reverb Stealth 30.9x440mm with 150mm travel
Groupset: Sram GX Eagle to include cassette, rear derailleur, cranks, shifter, and chain
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP BB92
Saddle: Still haven't decided
Pedals: my old ones
Other: cables, skewers, lube, blah blah blah

Maybe one thing i'd consider is trying chromag stuff instead of deity. They
both create some great stuff, and the customer service is great on both
companies in the unlikely chance you'll actually be able to break something,
but from my point chromag just has something that makes it look awesome
compared to any other bike and bike parts company. They also don't
make the dirty 30 bars anymore fyi.

Considering you're looking at bars with 25mm rise, Id take a look at the OSX, OSX 35, or BZA 35 if you want carbon.
for a stem Ranger v2, HIFI, HIFI 35, and BZA 35.
And for a seat, Lynx DT has always been a personal Fav.

Just FYI all the bars and stems that have the number 35 next to them are because of bar diameter. It's not rise or length.

but after reading all of this, this is just a personal opinion, and you're still on the internet, so for all you know, I could be someone that never even ridden a bike.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll look at the chromag stuff. You're right that they don't make the dirty 30 anymore, that's why I found such a sweet deal! The diety stem and bars still run 31.8 diameter, the 35mm is the length, you can get them in 35mm, 50mm, or 65mm lengths. I went with the shorter length as I'm upsizing the bike. But if I an find a better deal on chromag then I might go with it.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 13:38 Quote
That's not entirely true as Deity makes both their Cavity and Copperhead stems in 35mm length and neither use 35mm diameter. There will always be exceptions.

I'm only 5'8 but I'm on an XL Following frame and I was using a 35mm length stem with 760mm handlebars with a 38mm rise. Dual position fork and it made my Following quite enjoyable, both going up and down.

Going to be swapping my X01 11 speed drivetrain for X01 12 speed from another bike of mine, ordered a 30mm Syntace stem, debating on the exact handlebars to use but for now I'm thinking an ENVE HDH handlebar, and hopefully finish up the NOBL TR36 wheelset. Currently though, this is its current state...

I need a wheelset. 29 15x100mm front 12x142mm rear 6B 32H

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 21:05 Quote
How many spacers and what size did you put on your steerer tube?

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 18:48 Quote
photo

photo

photo

My new following:
- Nextie asymmetric/DT350, built by me
- Hope brakes/crank with asymmetric spiderless ring
- XTR drivetrain
- Fox factory fork and dropper
- Itty bitty rotors that will be changed once my new ones come in.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 21:12 Quote
mfranzen wrote:

My new following:
- Nextie asymmetric/DT350, built by me
- Hope brakes/crank with asymmetric spiderless ring
- XTR drivetrain
- Fox factory fork and dropper
- Itty bitty rotors that will be changed once my new ones come in.

Looks awesome, nice work on the orange colour matching!

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 11:41 Quote
When is the new following out?

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 12:35 Quote
Probably depends on inventory of current model...it was slated for this summmer so it's a lil delayed(not really as there was never official launch date) but it's still summer..

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 13:24 Quote
Any major differences?

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 15:42 Quote
fredro wrote:
Any major differences?
Thinking boost, sizing to match rest of lineup, room for more shock options. Not too differnet which is good bc 1st gen was a big success.
Just gossip i heard..havnt seen one

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 23:16 Quote
Anyone using a 200mm sized rear rotor on their Evil Following? Evil tells me that it may contact the frame which is why they say the maximum rear rotor size to use is a 185mm. Just wondering if someone can say for sure. Being back on 29" wheels I'm finding that I need more stopping power than what my 180mm rotors can give me and I'd rather not have to upgrade my brakes.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 6:19 Quote
jrocksdh wrote:
fredro wrote:
Any major differences?
Thinking boost, sizing to match rest of lineup, room for more shock options. Not too differnet which is good bc 1st gen was a big success.
Just gossip i heard..havnt seen one

130mm at the rear is main change

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 22:43 Quote
Evil Following XL Frame Rockshox Pike RCT3 Dual Position Fork Rockshox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock SRAM XX1 X01 11 Speed Drivetrain SRAM Centerline 200mm Front Rotor amp 180mm Rear Rotor Shimano XTR Brake Set Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm Dropper Maxxis Minion 29 DHF 2.5 DH Maxxis Minion 29 DHR II 2.4 3C Maxxterra NOBL OYNX TR36 29 Wheelset w NOBL OYNX Hubs Wake 780mm handlebars Deity Pinner DH Saddle Syntace MegaForce 2 30mm Stem HT T1 Pedals

Evil Following XL Frame
Rockshox Pike RCT3 Dual Position Fork
Rockshox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock
SRAM XX1/X01 11 Speed Drivetrain
SRAM Centerline 200mm Front Rotor & 180mm Rear Rotor
Shimano XTR Brake Set
Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm Dropper
Maxxis Minion 29” DHF 2.5” DH
Maxxis Minion 29” DHR II 2.4” 3C/Maxxterra
NOBL/OYNX TR36 29” Wheelset w/ NOBL/OYNX Hubs
Wake 780mm handlebars
Deity Pinner DH Saddle
Syntace MegaForce 2 30mm Stem
HT T1 Pedals

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 22:45 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Evil Following XL Frame Rockshox Pike RCT3 Dual Position Fork Rockshox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock SRAM XX1 X01 11 Speed Drivetrain SRAM Centerline 200mm Front Rotor amp 180mm Rear Rotor Shimano XTR Brake Set Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm Dropper Maxxis Minion 29 DHF 2.5 DH Maxxis Minion 29 DHR II 2.4 3C Maxxterra NOBL OYNX TR36 29 Wheelset w NOBL OYNX Hubs Wake 780mm handlebars Deity Pinner DH Saddle Syntace MegaForce 2 30mm Stem HT T1 Pedals

Evil Following XL Frame
Rockshox Pike RCT3 Dual Position Fork
Rockshox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock
SRAM XX1/X01 11 Speed Drivetrain
SRAM Centerline 200mm Front Rotor & 180mm Rear Rotor
Shimano XTR Brake Set
Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm Dropper
Maxxis Minion 29” DHF 2.5” DH
Maxxis Minion 29” DHR II 2.4” 3C/Maxxterra
NOBL/OYNX TR36 29” Wheelset w/ NOBL/OYNX Hubs
Wake 780mm handlebars
Deity Pinner DH Saddle
Syntace MegaForce 2 30mm Stem
HT T1 Pedals
how are you liking the nobl onyx hubs. I have them on my bike, and i honestly don't know
how I feel about them. Because i love the instant engagement, but my previous bike had
probs one of the loudest hubs on it, and the transition from loud to silent make me feel like im going
a lot slower than I actually am.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 23:00 Quote
Niko182 wrote:

how are you liking the nobl onyx hubs. I have them on my bike, and i honestly don't know
how I feel about them. Because i love the instant engagement, but my previous bike had
probs one of the loudest hubs on it, and the transition from loud to silent make me feel like im going
a lot slower than I actually am.

I hear ya and I can relate. I've only had two days on the wheels since I had them built up and ready to ride yesterday evening. So far... the silent is a bit scary. Especially considering that I now hear the other sounds that my bike makes as I climb and descend. The additional weight of both the hubs and rims compared to my previous wheelset I do know that on the climbs it does feel slower (though its hard to judge that as the first day, after getting them done and rideable, I rode a trail that I had never ridden before and went in blind.) The second day (today) I rode one of my daily trails to ride.

That being said, the silent is a trip. The rims are awesome thus far and have muted trail chatter significantly (so much so that the trail I rode on blind seemed lack luster on the descent as it just felt smooth and full of rollers and like.) The trail I rode today and I was able to take away a bit more and found that the dampening is awesome (previous carbon wheels I've used were ENVEs in all shapes and sizes) but still the silent feels weird. Mostly I think because you then hear the other things on your bike. The engagement is kick ass and on a climb with an easy climb with ups and downs it does feel good to be in the right gear and just be on the pedals and keep your speed consistent. Otherwise on longer/harder climbs its not as noticeable as you're still just grinding up. But the downs are fun!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022794
Mobile Version of Website