Cassette change

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cassette change
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2013 at 3:01 Quote
Ok, so I'm new to the world of DH biking, and a noob on bike mechanics. I'm currently riding an 09 stinky with a 1x9 setup. I bought it like this as the guy used it solely for DH, however I do go out for trail rides with friends and struggle climbing hills.

I've looked into going for 11-36 9 cog cassette, the question is whether this would be a direct swap with my existing 9 cog set up which I believe to be 11-32 (to be confirmed when I'm with my bike). In my mind the tooth size wouldn't effect the spacing of the cassette, just an adjustment to the derailleur perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Dec 4, 2013 at 4:24 Quote
Aherne746 wrote:
Ok, so I'm new to the world of DH biking, and a noob on bike mechanics. I'm currently riding an 09 stinky with a 1x9 setup. I bought it like this as the guy used it solely for DH, however I do go out for trail rides with friends and struggle climbing hills.

I've looked into going for 11-36 9 cog cassette, the question is whether this would be a direct swap with my existing 9 cog set up which I believe to be 11-32 (to be confirmed when I'm with my bike). In my mind the tooth size wouldn't effect the spacing of the cassette, just an adjustment to the derailleur perhaps?

Thanks in advance
11-34 is I believe the widest range 9spd cassette from the main players of SRAM and Shimano, the 11-36 offering from these is a 10spd cassette which would also require new rear mech and shifter. You could look at a smaller front chain ring anything from 28 . 30, 32 34 would be worth considering depending on how steep/long the hills are your're trying to climb.
PS if running an11-32 jumping to 11-34 should be within the range of the mech but might need a longer chain dependant on how short your current one is, plus it makes sense to change the chain with the cassette

Posted: Dec 4, 2013 at 4:49 Quote
Yeah the chain length could be an issue I had over looked, the shimano deore HG61 is a 12-36t. I'm not that fast down hill and never use the 11t for pedalling down hill (still a bit of a girl), and as a majority of rides are the blue and red trails at swinley and QECP it doesn't seem like I would miss the smaller tooth too much for now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008765
Mobile Version of Website