PB Forum :: Downhill
BIG rock gardends
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 13:24 Quote
get a pair of maxxis high rolers they are awsum for everything

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 13:24 Quote
im buyin a new bike

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
I really like rock gardens because they are a challenge that comes in almost no other aspect of riding. It requires finess and mental concentration, and a ton of practice to master them (I'm no were close though).

I find that if you really try to stay light on the bike and kind of let the rock garden bounce you around a bit, but still keep in control, it is a bit easier. Also like someone mentioned trying to air some of it is a technique some like, and I think its worth a try.

I find the biggest thing though is to always stay off the brakes. It is scary going at a pile of rocks at break-neck speed but if on the brakes the suspension stiffens up, even though recent suspension designs have minimized this it is not completely gone, and any momentum is lost much quicker.

Hope this helps. I'll be out there prcaticing them myslef.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 14:48 Quote
where is this rock garden

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 14:50 Quote
ADownhillerfromChed wrote:

yeah a 200m rock garden would be so much fun. i would go there everyday just for that and just try to pinn it for as long as i could without falling.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 16:28 Quote
I kinda wish the rock gardens were more challenging at my local hill the first one is just like a giant set of stairs that requires some concentration, but a lot of guys just clear half of it because theres a run up leading up to it and if you come in with speed you can hit it like a step down. The second one the majority of the rocks are just smooth and flat, so you can cruise over it fairly easily.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
calgaryrider wrote:
I kinda wish the rock gardens were more challenging at my local hill the first one is just like a giant set of stairs that requires some concentration, but a lot of guys just clear half of it because theres a run up leading up to it and if you come in with speed you can hit it like a step down. The second one the majority of the rocks are just smooth and flat, so you can cruise over it fairly easily.
ya the rock gardens here are really tame. It is kinda fun to clear half the first one.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 5:09 Quote
My old locals trails were pretty much one big rock garden, best advice is stay off the brakes ( obviously ), dont turn too sharply, keep your weight back and relaxed, and pedal like hell before it because the faster you go the smoother it is !

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 5:19 Quote
If you don't like rock gardens you probably need to work on your flow. If you know what you're doing even the nastiest rock gardens flow nice.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 9:36 Quote
DUDE! the biger and harder the rock garden, the better!

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 11:28 Quote
ADownhillerfromChed wrote:
in the lake district it is soo fun just gets boring after 20m then opens up into fast trail reali good driftin corners but you gota watch out coz it meana b a foot path

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 11:31 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
If you don't like rock gardens you probably need to work on your flow. If you know what you're doing even the nastiest rock gardens flow nice.
haha you aint seen it it aint like you averge dh race rock garden it like goes on and on you carnt flow it you gota go fast and plow no joke tehre no other way and it has loadz corners in it

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 11:35 Quote
over here your luky when youfind a good rockgarden and most people are into armouring i still hate long rock gardens

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
small doses are fun large doses get anoyin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013375
Mobile Version of Website