Powered by Outside

9teeth - 36teeth cassette

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
9teeth - 36teeth cassette
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 11:27 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/9-36-cassette-prototype-2011.html

So i saw this and wondered if it was real? it would make my bike perfect for all kinds of riding Smile im running the sram pg1050 cassette can i convert it?

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 13:40 Quote
This is old news. Never really caught on and I don't think the 9-tooth cassette was ever put into mass production for mtb applications. It uses a custom "step-down" freehub which looks like a cross between a standard freehub and Sram's XD freehub for XX1. I like the design as it would allow a sectional cassette instead of the very pricy 1-piece cassette that XX1 and X01 use. From what I understand, however, it was expensive to manufacture and never got picked up by the big boys.

If you want less than 11 teeth on your back end, your best bet is to drop the money on XX1 or X01. I'm riding XX1 now and very happy with the spread.

Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 13:50 Quote
DoubleDog wrote:
This is old news. Never really caught on and I don't think the 9-tooth cassette was ever put into mass production for mtb applications. It uses a custom "step-down" freehub which looks like a cross between a standard freehub and Sram's XD freehub for XX1. I like the design as it would allow a sectional cassette instead of the very pricy 1-piece cassette that XX1 and X01 use. From what I understand, however, it was expensive to manufacture and never got picked up by the big boys.

If you want less than 11 teeth on your back end, your best bet is to drop the money on XX1 or X01. I'm riding XX1 now and very happy with the spread.

Any way to get some sprockets for my cassette?

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 15:26 Quote
The issue with your current setup is that your hub uses a standard freehub body that the cassette mounts to. The physical diameter of the freehub body doesn't allow anything smaller than 11 teeth. That's why the 9-tooth didn't catch on, it required a proprietary freehub that was expensive to manufacture. Even to go XX1 or X01 you would need a new freehub (and maybe a new hub), but at least they are readily available.

Your best option would be to go bigger on the low end. There are a few companies offering 11-40 teeth aftermarket cassettes. Going with a bigger granny gear means you can run a larger ring upfront and effectively give you the same gearing ratio as a 9-36. Technically sram and shimano 10-speed derailleurs max out at 36t (according to them), but I've heard good reviews of cassettes that push to 40t.

Hope that helps, Happy New Year!

Posted: Dec 31, 2013 at 15:32 Quote
DoubleDog wrote:
The issue with your current setup is that your hub uses a standard freehub body that the cassette mounts to. The physical diameter of the freehub body doesn't allow anything smaller than 11 teeth. That's why the 9-tooth didn't catch on, it required a proprietary freehub that was expensive to manufacture. Even to go XX1 or X01 you would need a new freehub (and maybe a new hub), but at least they are readily available.

Your best option would be to go bigger on the low end. There are a few companies offering 11-40 teeth aftermarket cassettes. Going with a bigger granny gear means you can run a larger ring upfront and effectively give you the same gearing ratio as a 9-36. Technically sram and shimano 10-speed derailleurs max out at 36t (according to them), but I've heard good reviews of cassettes that push to 40t.

Hope that helps, Happy New Year!

Ive given hope an email asking about any old prototypes lying about Smile 200 pounds on a cassette is bit much in my view im gonna see if there are any freehubs for my wheels around but i guess i can survive with 12 teeth

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008479
Mobile Version of Website